Pics of my 87GN project....

turbocliff said:
Thanks!
Still gotta be pretty nimble to get over the door bar though... I'll prolly convert to swing out door bars over next winter.....

Don't do it, your cage will probably need serious updating with your next motor and I am sure your existing set up is good for sub 8.5s.

But John, It'll be uncomfortable getting in and out of the car when I take it to get groceries and things! :D

I don't know if my cage would certify to 8.50s... hope it would, all the tube is sized per NHRA regs, but it's mild, and don't know what they would say about the main hoop design.. I like it, and don't plan on getting it certified anyway... Was gonna X the doors, but decided to add rocker bars instead, simply for ease of entry..

And what do you mean "next motor" ??? LOL

turbocliff said:
But John, It'll be uncomfortable getting in and out of the car when I take it to get groceries and things! :D

I don't know if my cage would certify to 8.50s... hope it would, all the tube is sized per NHRA regs, but it's mild, and don't know what they would say about the main hoop design.. I like it, and don't plan on getting it certified anyway... Was gonna X the doors, but decided to add rocker bars instead, simply for ease of entry..

And what do you mean "next motor" ??? LOL

I thought we discussed a 427-434 Motown with a bigger thumper........

if you do a 434 get the iron eagle block with the raised cam and wide notched pan rails. Once a chevy guy always a chevy guy.

chevyII said:
if you do a 434 get the iron eagle block with the raised cam and wide notched pan rails. Once a chevy guy always a chevy guy.

The problem if you go with the big cubes is that you need an expesive set of heads to really make them work well. Dusty has a pretty basic set of 24* Heads and 383 CI. This combination works well, as we all can see!
On Chris's Motor 394ci started with 18* Edelbrock Heads and then went to 15* Darts. He thought about going to a 427 but that with the change over to splayed valve heads did not make sen$e for his plans.

John Wilde said:
I thought we discussed a 427-434 Motown with a bigger thumper........

To tell you the truth, now that I know what is out there as far as some classes that I might be able to run in locally... I'm pretty sure that I will actually go with a smaller cube motor. My setup now is a Stock Block 4 bolt main with all ARP hardware, and filled 1/2 way with Hardblok... should hold for a while I hope. But once I do realize the point of failure... :eek: I'll be installing a good shortblock under 360 ci.

And now that I'm pickin up another turbo buick very soon, I'm prolly going to stay pretty conservative with the tune on this car, and try to keep the cranks on both cars til next winter... :cool:

turbocliff said:
To tell you the truth, now that I know what is out there as far as some classes that I might be able to run in locally... I'm pretty sure that I will actually go with a smaller cube motor. My setup now is a Stock Block 4 bolt main with all ARP hardware, and filled 1/2 way with Hardblok... should hold for a while I hope. But once I do realize the point of failure... :eek: I'll be installing a good shortblock under 360 ci.

And now that I'm pickin up another turbo buick very soon, I'm prolly going to stay pretty conservative with the tune on this car, and try to keep the cranks on both cars til next winter... :cool:

Good thinking, you can keep the heads, headers and intake system.
The NMRA Guys make a tone of power with the 360ci motors and 91-94MM Turbos.

Any time you have more pictures you know where to send them!

ya to bad the SB2.2 stuff is so odd. Thats always a problem with SB heads they dont flow really great. Whatever you build I always liked running the largest bore usually 4.125 or larger and 6.0 rods.

chevyII said:
ya to bad the SB2.2 stuff is so odd. Thats always a problem with SB heads they dont flow really great. Whatever you build I always liked running the largest bore usually 4.125 or larger and 6.0 rods.

Kenny Duttweiler told Dusty to use 5.85 rods in his motor.
Actually he told me and I passed it to Dusty. ;)
I think Steve Petty also agreed.

Do you like the big bore to unshroud the valves???

Change of Heart...

Well, I last night came to the realization that I don't need a low 8 sec timeslip anytime soon, and that I don't need to make 1200hp to have fun. I am going to sell all of the Chevy parts, and the GT47/82mm turbo set up and replace with a 109 block.

Anyway, if someone is interested in buying or trading Buick parts for most or all of the motor and turbo kit... I'm open ears for the moment.... :eek:

turbocliff said:
Well, I last night came to the realization that I don't need a low 8 sec timeslip anytime soon, and that I don't need to make 1200hp to have fun. I am going to sell all of the Chevy parts, and the GT47/82mm turbo set up and replace with a 109 block.

Anyway, if someone is interested in buying or trading Buick parts for most or all of the motor and turbo kit... I'm open ears for the moment.... :eek:

Cliff,

It is a little to early for April fools.
If your SBC stuff is paid for run it.
Nobody says you have to run it on kill.
At 10psi your car should be fun enough.

I have some extra stage stuff. hmmmmmmm???

John Wilde said:
Cliff,

It is a little to early for April fools.
If your SBC stuff is paid for run it.
Nobody says you have to run it on kill.
At 10psi your car should be fun enough.

I have some extra stage stuff. hmmmmmmm???

I think all I have left is set up the distributor, oil return from turbo, remount my cell and battery in the trunk, install all my sensors on the motor, and wire my guages.... Did I forget to mention in my add that I am accepting trade offers on buick v6 motors / parts??? ;)

The motor will not come out of the car unless a deal is made, so if nobody buys it, I'll have to use it! :rolleyes:

We'll see what happens

chevyII said:

Now that Brodix has a cast manifold for BD2000 heads, I guess I know what I'll be saving money for. I wish :biggrin:

Dusty Bradford said:
Now that Brodix has a cast manifold for BD2000 heads, I guess I know what I'll be saving money for. I wish :biggrin:

Ummm...that would be sick, but I am guessing Angie would not think so! ;)

I Dont know what I was thinking earlier... Some sort of temporary insanity... Anyway, I have come to my senses, and am not selling anything. This project is almost complete, and as a matter o fact, my sensors showed up today, so I tinkered in the garage for a bit.... Sorry for the Early "April Fools" LOL

Cliff

Attachments

• 10.3.05 032.jpg
    10.3.05 032.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 344
turbocliff said:
I Dont know what I was thinking earlier... Some sort of temporary insanity... Anyway, I have come to my senses, and am not selling anything. This project is almost complete, and as a matter o fact, my sensors showed up today, so I tinkered in the garage for a bit.... Sorry for the Early "April Fools" LOL

Cliff

Good, I was writing you and e-mail trying to talk sense to you!

turbocliff said:

Cliff

After all that work and with how close you are I was going to ask if you had taken your meds today or if this was just some sick joke! :eek:

Glad you came to your senses:cool:

Yea, I lost my mind for a while, but now that I have regained my senses.. I ordered today the following:

Willwood Manual Brake master / kit
Willwood proportioning valve
Willwood front street disk brake kit
Willwood rear race disk brake kit
TRZ tubular front upper and lower a-arms
ad to top it off, QA1 adjustable shocks for all four corners..

:cool:

Should have the car ready to run by the time these parts come in, then spend a few days on brake and suspension work, and it'll be off to the track.. I'll keep you all posted, first track day will be at Byron shortly after the open... :D

turbocliff said:
Yea, I lost my mind for a while, but now that I have regained my senses.. I ordered today the following:

Should have the car ready to run by the time these parts come in, then spend a few days on brake and suspension work, and it'll be off to the track.. I'll keep you all posted, first track day will be at Byron shortly after the open... :D
car looks good either way, good job!

turbocliff said:

I wish you would lose you mind about my car.
It might get some new toys and get finished! :tongue: