Picture of Kenne Bell Booster Plate

Well i gave Jeff a hand installing the plate last night and at his engines normal driving temp around 170 it was between 20-22psi in park at around 750-800 rpm and after getting as hot as we could idling in gear it dropped to around 18psi. Think his idle can be a bit higher to help some too. I think the 009's are supposed to idle closer to 900rpm???????? Intercooler dont forget your car idles 1000-1100 rpm which makes a big difference because the pump is almost spinning 25-30% faster than his. So we saw with his when revved up a bit higher. The thrust plate is a nice easy install with no machine work needed. The reason it boosts psi is because it has more contact surface for the gears to ride on which builds psi!!!:) Frank

Hey Frank, Thanks again.

By the way, Frank didn't help me. He did it! All I did was jack up the car and loosen the oil filter.

I guess I need a sig. The injectors are Delphi 50's Frank, not 009's. Probably doesn't change your opinion of my idle being too low though. We'll see when I get a scan tool on there. I still bet it's higher than you think.

Jeff

Where did i get 009's from???? That's right i forgot 50's. Maybe its that big v-8 cam you have that makes it sound like low idle???:D Jeff thanks again for the brew, man my headache needed those ;) Frank

Maybe!

Guess I should start a thread about which catalytic converter is best now, huh?

Let that big cam breath.:D

No cat is best. Let those ported heads and big cam flow. You will not be able to run the leaded gas you need for that race chip you have with a cat either. Big gains will occur this route.:cool: Frank

gas

Sunoco sells a 110, 112 and 116 unleaded gas. For sure 110 and 112 were available at Maple Grove last time I was there. No Cat problems there!

I don't think so. If i recall 104 octane is the highest in unleaded but i'm not positive. Maybe someone else can help with this one????????:confused: Frank

Your right. Check this link.

http://www.bazellracefuels.com/racing fuels.htm

On the main page of this link, scroll down for Sunoco products. The 104 says unleaded, then below are the 110, 112 and 116 as well as even higher grades. They (the 110,112 and 116) don't say leaded and don't list lead as being there, but when you open the msds for at least two of the three, it shows lead content of 0.10 fo one and 0.15 for another.

Oh well, I'll risk it. I've run at least 15 gallons of the 110 through the cat that's on the car right now. I'll have to think about alternatives when I put a new one on though. Maybe alcohol. I just don't want to run without one.

Jeff

Re: Thanks to all!

Originally posted by Low Budgit
salvagev6, I just have in my head that steel gears riding against steel is better than steel on aluminum. I know with a cushion of oil, it shouldn't be a problem, and this is why yours is lasting.
The original stock oil pump configuration has steel gears turning on an aluminum cover/ assembly. It was intended to last, what? — at least 70K miles? With an aluminum plate, one can rest easy knowing the pump gears will never wear out.

can someone tell me how to put the plate in. Do you have to take off the oil cooler and the other part to. I got the one from napa and it has a groove in one side. Which way does the groove go to, up or down and are they suppose to come wiht a spring, because my didnot. The last thing in the insturctions it says to drill a 1/4 in hole do you do that or not. I get good oil pis when its cold and when cursing and so on, it is that at ildo it reads about 13 psi and that worryes me, and I have hear that this plate is a good investment. Thanks

oil pump plate

Hi all,
I've researched this item back a few years ago. The NAPA/Melling thrust plate and Kenne Bell plate are different (have both). The Melling has stock holes and passages and would only improve oil pressure if the original alum. thrust area was worn.

The Bell plate has a slightly different hole/passage configuration and requires a slot cut into the oil pump cover. This plate is actually described and dimensioned in the Ruggles Buick v6 book. I may be able to post a pic of that page once I get out of work tonight.

Mark

Turbo86GN, I have disagree with you. Both style plates gain psi for 2 reasons they have more of a surface for the gears to ride on and the holes in the thrust plate are a different size then the filter adapter that the gears usually ride on. The Kenne Bell design is different in one way, the smaller of the 2 holes is toward the outside of the plate more because it was originally designed for older model front covers. Thats why when you install it on our newer style covers you have to cut that groove toward the inside so it can work on both styles. The one from NAPA needs no machining or drilling of any holes on our covers 86-87 3.8 model. I recommend it be used instead because of this. I gaurentee it will raise your oil psi even without a worn surface. No springs needed just unbolt filter adapter and install plate groove side toward gears with a gasket on each side and mount it with the longer supplied bolts. ;) Frank

Frank,
I see what your saying, I guess I never compared the two really close or figured what was going on. I just noticed the major differences. I'm still a rookie at Buicks but learning everyday:)

Mark

Mark, I had to study the plates for quite a while to see exactly what was going on too. I wanted to make sure i understood what was going on with it before i used it. I dont like using things just because someone else says its good, if so i want to know why. :) Frank

I still prefer the hard annodized aluminum. ;)

I will probably check it when the motor gets redone in a few years. :cool:

Prolly reuse the thing too. :D

Originally posted by salvageV6
I still prefer the hard annodized aluminum. ;)

I will probably check it when the motor gets redone in a few years. :cool:

Prolly reuse the thing too. :D

:p You just like the fancy shmancy look of the annodized plate!

Let us know what kind of marks you see on that plate when you pull it out. I bet you won't reuse it. (Even I'm not that Low Budgit!) :eek:

Good job splainin' it all Frank. Thanks for taking the time to figure it all out.
Jeff