Pinks All Out !!!!

turbo-ian

So the race is this weekend @ pacific.Me,gene,and dennis are in the race, and were wondering who's coming down?

I'm going to try to go watch Saturday, Anyone know the times that they will be running?

from what I found out, they start running at 9:00am and start racing at 7:00pm

I didn't stick around as I died at the line in the first time trial that you had to run a minimum time. Just my luck as I would have probably been in the last 32.
I heard Dennis made the 32 field but lost first round, That had to be a shocker as he is so good at the start?

I couldn't get my car off the line with a 1800 stall converter, so my 60 ft times were 1.8 to 2.0. I ran a 10.4 at 137.5 mph

I didn't stick around as I died at the line in the first time trial that you had to run a minimum time. Just my luck as I would have probably been in the last 32.
I heard Dennis made the 32 field but lost first round, That had to be a shocker as he is so good at the start?

I couldn't get my car off the line with a 1800 stall converter, so my 60 ft times were 1.8 to 2.0. I ran a 10.4 at 137.5 mph

That's too bad ... sorry to hear that :(

What car was Dennis running, I thought that his garage fire destroyed his cars:confused:

George

Ron,
Dennis made it into the top 32. He lost first round of eliminations, but they normally only run a 16 car field. Because there were alot of No-Shows, they had enough time to take the next slower 16 cars and allow them to run. The "index" appeared to be 10.35-10.50, based on what all the "top16" were running. Dennis was running a very consistant 10.60's and with a "smallish" turbo, he was at the max of his combination. Pump gas 231 (+.020) with stock GN1 heads and Precision stock location IC and stock ECM, it is running pretty dang good. If he had been running his old "street car", it may have been just a 1/10 too quick to qualify for Pinks, too.
Gene's car was running a bit too inconsistant and he blasted a 10.1 and kinda showed his "cards" to the behind the scenes guys, so we figured that's why they didn't pick him. He had nailed the tune-up just about right-on on his last qualifying pass, but we both felt that the 10-teen pass disqualified him. (I could be wrong, but that's what we had talked about at the track)
I had thrashed to get Dennis' engine built, and he thrashed to get it installed in time. Dan (Speedway Automotive Repair) was the hero and got Dennis back running at the track after his cam sensor cup came loose. (phone call to him and he figured it out over the phone. He's GOOD......but I'm better;)) (joke between us) Gene and I thrashed to fix his cracked alky hose fitting. A racer sold me a -4AN fitting for $5 to get his borrowed (from IAN) alky hose installed. Most racers I talked with all looked through thier tool boxes and trailer drawers for anything that would work. Most drag racers are great people.
All in all it was a great time. Maybe I can get enough time to field a car next time.

Pinks @ pacific

Speed channel is airing the race this thursday!!!!! @ 5:00 PM and again @ 9:00 PM. Watch dennis get beet! Watch for any other GN's! :biggrin:

Ya.....watch Dennis cut a good "arm". Is that what it's called when there isn't any lights? Dennis will drill-ya at the tree. For an old guy, he can still cut light. Ian..........at least he made it into the top 32. I didn't.:redface:

32 Field

Every time I think about Pinks I cant get it out of my mind I would have been in the final 32 had my car not died at the line on the fist arm drop in qualifying.
I only got the car together Friday Morning to pass tech and my first qualifying pass was my first pass ever in the car.
I did feel better knowing Dennis got in. If ever anyone needed a break it was him, plus I just concluded I would have met him first round and knowing his abilities at the light I assumed I would have lost.
That way it didn't hurt as bad? LOL

Only a short segment with Dennis in there. Apparently the folks at Pinks don't like Buicks.? :frown:
It was nice to see a co-worker make it as far as he did. Roger Gage is a VERY talented fabricator. I have seen his skills at work AND on cars. He built an AMAZING '56 Chevy. He installed a complete running gear from a '01 Firebird (LS-1) and even spliced in the firewal and dash into the '56. VERY talented guy. Nice guy, too. I thought it was funny when he was the back-up for the final round and he told the Chevelle guy that if he won (because the Chevelle had starter troubles) that he would give the Chevelle guy the NAPA tool box. I was laughing, because I thought that was a nice way to say that NAPA tools SUCK! ;):D He has a pretty extensive machine shop in his garage. Most of his stuff is CNC. He had a stroked LS-1 with a carb on it. I last talked to him in the factory and he told me he was having a hard time tuning his EFI. At the track, I said "WOW! That thing is runnig GOOD now, what did you do to get it all in-line?" He said, "I tossed the EFI into the corner of the garage and installed a carburator on it, and now it flies!!"
Next year, Dennis should have his StageI (and StageII) engine(s) back. (IF we can save them after the fire) and then he can be in the hunt with the top 16. (providing they pic a 10.30-10.40 field.)

"Quote"
Apparently the folks at Pinks don't like Buicks.?

I'm not sure that's true. Shows that I've watched where GNs have been a participant have had very good comments from the Pinks staff indicating that they are real crowd pleasers.

It seems that we don't have very good luck at these events. One fella that I know screwed up on the arm drop .... another forgot to push the TBrake button and pushed through while spooling (jumped)

I'm sure that when Dennis gets his stage 2 back running though, he'll resurrect our reputation at Pinks ;)

George