please help!!! NO FUEL PREASURE

copteaser

I recently bought a bone stock 86 T TYPE. Its all stock. I got the car home and my stepson and I began to work on the body work. We welded a couple patches and sanded a few more places. when I attempted to start the car it would not start. I do not hear the fuel pump turn on or the electric fan. I put some starting fluid down the throttle body and it started for a few seconds. There is no fuel pressure gauge nor a scan master ( I have not purchased one yet).
QUESTION NUMBER 1. could welding without disconnecting the battery ruin something?
QUESTION NUMBER 2. where should I look to figure out the starting problem?
ANY IDEAS?

You can always check your fuses.

FP relay? Put a jumper wire on at the relay, see if that kicks on the pump.

Put power to the test connector behind the alternator , if the pump does not turn on , head to the back and first check grounds . If grounds are good , it's time to drop the tank . If it has the original stock pump it should be changed even if it runs . It's running on borrowed time and better to have a no start condition than have it quit on a WOT blast and take out the motor ! Also get a hotwire kit , factory wiring is marginal . Good luck , Sam

Here is mine

DSCN0339.JPG
DSCN0340.JPG

(this is a father /son project) thanks for all the suggestion. tomorrow morning my son and I will try to figure out all the suggestions. thanks for the pics dynoman.

I haven't looked at my manual in years, but I think the fuel pump activates for like three seconds when the key is first turned on, then cuts off. The fuel pump will only turn back on during cranking when the oil pump sensor senses good oil pressure. Because of this it is hard to troubleshoot fuel pump issues, hence the hotwire connector seen in the pictures above. Someone correct me if this is inaccurate.

Check for 12v at the pump connector. I'd drop the tank anyway. Get the old fuel out and access the condition of the inside of the tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QUESTION NUMBER 1. could welding without disconnecting the battery ruin something?

ANY IDEAS?

1. YES it can. If you failed to unplug the ECM and battery, the welding could easily have toasted the ECM.

I replaced the fuel pump relay, the fan relay all the fuses and still no juice to the fuel pump. STILL NEED HELP!!!

Connect a wire from the battery to that gray wire with the single cavity connector as shown clearly in the pics. above.

If the fuel pump runs it is a problem with wiring up front at fuel pump relay, oil pressure switch or ECM and possibly hot wire fuse if installed on the vehicle.

And the fuses to check are FP/INJ, and ECM fuses such as ECM/IGN etc. Check the '86 manual as I believe one or two are named different than the'87 cars.

ok, I went out today and removed the alternator and the power steering reservoir and I could not find the grey wire (or green wire that you stated. I opened the black thing that hold all he wires and it is not there. the only out of place is this wire that has been repaired by someone.
IMG-20150829-WA0000.jpg

I don't see the gray fuel pump prime wire in that bundle.

Here's a pic. of the small harness it should be part of....

20150829_191341.jpg

As far as the butt splice goes, you need to find the end of one of those wires and see what it's attached to.

I can't find much on white wires with yellow tracers if that's indeed what color those are?

Service manual goes by devices, not wire harnesses and colors, so it's hard to trace those...

Well, now you know it's not bone stock, Someone been messing in there.