Police checkpoints, speed traps

Turbo86GN

Here in PA, Pittsburgh area, State Police are hiding in the woods with radar (camoflagued uniforms no less) and using planes to track speeders. Also, numerous road checkpoints (especially this weekend) in an effort to check registration/license validty, seat belt use, etc.

This kind of has me upset. I don't really agree with the seatbelt law, eventhough I wear mine. I think it's just a new money maker law. If a person has done nothing wrong, how can they be stopped?? What are a person's rights when going thru a checkpoint? Can you turn around and avoid them without being arrested? Just wondering.

Mark

Um - it's a LAW.
If they have proof you are breaking the law, they can pull you over.
Don't get CAUGHT breaking the law = no ticket.

Doesn't mean you have to like it (I don't), but it does you mean you have to abide by it...or pay the fines.

Seems like they should have better things to do than play hide-n-seek in the woods.How much does that pay???, I may be interested...:D

Its funny here in Arizona you have illegal's on every street corner breaking laws every day, but the bulls want to bust people who might speed or forget to put a belt on. They wonder why they get no respect. :confused:

Guys - they ARE inforcing the law. It would be hard to catch speeders if the cars were neon orange parked on the side of the road...
They are also doing their job (traffic)
Give 'em a break

Now seat belt laws- I still don't agree with them BUT, the ones writing the tickets don't make the laws (the politicians do), they just enforce them.

There's a memo out, stipulating that all the smart people now live in DC, and in the state capitals. So you don't have to think anymore. They're just making life easier, safer, more comfortable for you. And when the time comes they'll want to disarm you, so you can just complain, rather than do anything about it. Yes, big brother is here, and the herd has given up using their gray matter.

With folks wanting to kill themselves so frequently with their poor driving the hide and seek, has deep rooted funding in the insurance cos., and they pay off the right people in the capitals. The US is getting to be about corporate freedoms, rather then the individuals, IMO. ie the corporate freedom to make money anyway possible, and forget the lil guy. Since the lil guy isn't doing any long term thinking, they're going to win, and win big, again, IMO.

Originally posted by krom
Its funny here in Arizona you have illegal's on every street corner breaking laws every day, but the bulls want to bust people who might speed or forget to put a belt on. They wonder why they get no respect. :confused:

No money to be extorted from illegals. Why mess with them, when you can screw your own. :mad:

Well in North Carolina they have cameras that take pictures of speeders and red light runners and you get ticket in the mail.

Where is the proof of a PERSON committing the crime? All they have is a picture of a tag. No proof of who was driving. On top of it I heard that if it wasn't you that you will only get consideration if you turn in who was driving. Now this sounds like extortion to me? Tell me who was driving your car or I will arrest you.

Pretty soon they will require everyone to wear their own personal camera and send them citations for everything little thing they do wrong.

Sully

hmmm...what's that stupid movie with Stallone and Snipes (cop/bad guy that were frozen and wake up in the wuss future)

...maybe that will "actually" be us: No guns or fast cars (or cars that run on gas) and automated fines for everything, including language.

I hate that movie!!! :mad:

Follow the rest of the sheep and buy a radar detector.

Just because I generally obey the laws, doesnt mean I agree with them either.
Those among us who dont have the smarts to make good decisions have ruined it for the rest of us. Just because someone has an accident because they are talking on their cell, doesnt mean the rest of us will. Some are more capable of walking and chewing gum at the same time than others.
I mean, the society as a whole is judged by the worst among us. The laws are set to protect them from themselves, but it takes away our right to decide.

Originally posted by krom

Unfortunately local cops don't have the authority to enforce federal immigration law. The Immigration and Customs service won't do anything about them either unless they are charged with a felony then they will place an immigration hold on them. Believe me if they would let me I would fill the jail up every night with illegals but unfortunately they won't:mad:

Originally posted by 84GNPILE
Seems like they should have better things to do than play hide-n-seek in the woods.How much does that pay???, I may be interested...:D
Maybe they are playing Deliverence(sp),,was'nt there a scene with a pig:) in it...;)

Originally posted by Red Regal T
No money to be extorted from illegals. Why mess with them, when you can screw your own. :mad:
And the politicians want their votes. Maybe not their votes but hispanic votes.:rolleyes:

Get this, I just went through a "Regulatory" check point. I wasn't chosen to provide registration/license as it was more of a random choosing proceedure eventhough we all had to pass thru.

My first post was more asking what rights do you have going through one of the check points? I have nothing to hide but it just seems we are losing more freedoms everyday. It seems like "innocent until proven guilty" is being thrown by the way-side. It's as if the theme of the check points is "we will find something wrong, just give us time".

I'm not bashing police either, I would not want to do that job. and I respect them.

Mark

There is no money for raises and new equipment in arresting criminals. Most of your true criminals don't have any money. What amazes me is that they design highways for 120+ mph and put speed limits based on a dump truck fully loaded at night in a thunderstorm. I have a lot of respect for the police and none for traffic cops. Should rename them revenue collectors.

It's all about the money and some people don't mind victimizing hard working citizens to take it from them. The powers that be, former neighborhood association members :rolleyes: that got promoted, direct their dupes to take our money. It's one hell of a business masquerading as the LAW.

What if they happen to snag a terrorist at one of those checkpoints? I don't care much for the idea of them but it would interesting if they actually caught someone that was a real bad guy.

I am not going to get on a debate on this but after all the accidents I have seen you realllllyyy want to wear your seat belt. Nothing like having your skull broken and shifted 3". By the way you may be the best driver on Earth but not the guy at the next intersection.

I have an opionion about the seat belt law (Who doesn't?), but personally I believe the only reason, aside from making money with the tickets, for them to hand out tickets for no-seatbelt usage, is that the government wants you to continue living so you can pay more taxes! If you were to die in a car accident because of not using the seatbelt, look at all the tax money they would be losing!

Originally posted by Maltman
hmmm...what's that stupid movie with Stallone and Snipes (cop/bad guy that were frozen and wake up in the wuss future)

...maybe that will "actually" be us: No guns or fast cars (or cars that run on gas) and automated fines for everything, including language.

I hate that movie!!! :mad:

Demolition man

Can some one explain to me why it is a bad thing for police to see if people are wearing there seat belt. Has anyone seen someone who was in a decent accident that wasn't wearing a seat belt? Maybe those who haven't seen it need to. God forbid someone is trying to help you save yourself.