Post a FACT about GNXs *The GNX FACT THREAD*

It's #290...

#290 is the car on consignment. The current owner lives in the Rancho Mirage area.

you didnt look at the # your self ?

The guy was a bit preoccupied and I had a SUV full of kids and a wife looking at me like, "You best get back to business." so in the interest of marital bliss....I bailed on the conversation and got back to the family.:D

What say...is the "FBI Purchased GNX" a fact or fiction? That's kinda why I posted this in this thread.

its fiction

why would the gov spend double the price of a GN for a car?
unless it was for the pres himself, ,
I have neve seen any proof of AN "FBI" GNX car

now if your interested I do have a couple "NASA" cars for sale
yes their turbo buicks! :wink: :wink:

i forgot what number gnx it is but one of my friends bought it years ago with very low mileage for for 20k.....why the owner of the gnx was in jail and decided to make a quick sell.....my buddy still owns it i will try to see what number it was....nothing specal but a deal of a lifetime i would say...

I like the white outlined front bumper strip on the GNX for sale a few posts up................wonder why that was replaced?

kirban 2 cents worth

Original owners were supposed to send away for a numbered GNX book that matched their car. Jackets also, were not numbered but could be from what I remember.

Molly did the original Buick clothing line including the GNX jacket and controlled the numbered books. A few years ago I bought all the "unclaimed" numbered GNX books from Molly. I sold most of them probably have half dozen left.

As many of you may or may not know Buick printed far more than just the 547 numbered books. My guessament it was probably more like 1,500 to 2,000 books total. I know at one time I had several hundred still in each individual box.

Molly also sold them as well. The Sloan museum had them available also. I think I may have bought most of their stock too.

Those were the days.

On a side note if you ever remove any of the fender flares or rear spoiler you would be amazed a the dirt build up in those areas.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com
Owned a few GNXs over the years....

Dennis,
Its my understanding that # 547 was not the last GNX to be completed on the assembly line but was given the badge of 547. Meaning its my understanding it wasn't the last GNX built sequentially? Is this incorrect was 547 the last one completed off the assembly line?

Correct...

As mentioned in previous posts, GNX's were not built in sequential VIN order. Accordingly, it is true that 547 was not the last produced by VIN.

That "technically last" status goes to (drum roll, please)...

GNX 533

kirban 2 cents worth

While the above I guess is true, in the scheme of things GM wanted to buy back 547 since it was the last numbered GNX. These arguements have surfaced before on other cars such as the first Mustang etc. and so on.

I certainily don't know since I was not there.

I can tell you this though....

I was fortunate enough to get a personal tour back in the late 1980s at the engine plant building 3800 engines etc...once they were completed they went into this carosal set up and were started. If anything did not sound rite it was pulled off the assembly line.

That could screw up having the proper car in the proper order. Maybe GNX mentioned above got pulled out of the line for some reason and then a part for it became available at the end.

My guess is it had some sort of issue that caused it to be put at the end and finished last if all the above is true and can be proven.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Are you talking about #186 in TX? It was supposed to be purchased from the DEA after owner was busted.

i forgot what number gnx it is but one of my friends bought it years ago with very low mileage for for 20k.....why the owner of the gnx was in jail and decided to make a quick sell.....my buddy still owns it i will try to see what number it was....nothing specal but a deal of a lifetime i would say...

Wow I have GNX531 if the last sequential GNX is 533 that puts my car 2 places from the end. Just like #3 is from the beginning. Ca-ching. Just kidding,its all about something different, but GNX's were all made to be alike.

According to this ebay ad, the turbo heat shields were originally to be made in polished aluminum.

Description from the ad, "I have acquired a small supply of these GNX TURBO COVERS from a machine shop in Michigan which was to hand make these covers for (ASC) and the GNX PROJECT.

The original specifications called for the covers to be hand made out of aluminum to dissipate heat off the turbo, but the covers got too costly and the GNX ended up receiving a steel silver painted cover instead.

There are over 10 hours just in polishing this cover by hand not to mention the amount of time invested in this cover being hand made!"

Ebay item # 200370896393

kirban 2 cents worth

I was at Back to the Bricks the other week which is part of the happenings that goes on that week with woodward cruise only this is for the Flint/Grand Blanc area....

They do a 12-14 mile cruise thurs-fri nite with an all day car show that virtually shuts down Flint on Saturday. Back to the bricks refers to the bricks that take up the main drag Saginaw street.

Anyhow, the Sloan Museum was only about 2 blocks from where we were staying.
GNX #500 resides there with I think 56 miles on it. Ironically, the GNX trunk emblem is on the wrong side. The car has had very very visible poorly done body work to the drivers side quarter area including the piece that sits between the trunk lid and rear window. A weird place to have body work.

On the windshield is a decal saying something to the effect can't be licensed and after training must be scrapped and destroyed. In other words can't be sold and driven on the highway. It did have a VIN number.

Also of interest GNX related on a stand was a complete GNX engine all the exhaust pipes were a dark grey powder coated. It had a very unusual oil cap on the valve cover similar to what is correct only smaller and screwed into the valve cover. I had never seen this type of oil cap before.

I did tape the trip and I still have a tape I made of the Richard Clark open House from last fall so hopefully we will have a DVD available next month sometime of this GNX and the trip and last years Richard Clarks event that also on that tape shows Richards ASCs GNX with the factory sunroof. He won that GNX at the auction by having the top bid.

I still have maybe 3 or 4 of the original numbered GNX books think one is 12 another is 18 and I got a higher number. If you own one of these GNXs I have the actual NUMBERED book. A few years ago (may have mentioned this before) I bought up from Molly all the unclaimed numbered GNX books not to be confused with the unnumbered ones.

Years ago Sloan Museum had regular GNX books for sale and I bought them all up several years ago maybe was 100 or more.

The Sloan museum is 2 different buildings the main building houses a bunch of cars that I believe rotate (non Buicks) the research center which is maybe few hundred feet away houses mostly Buicks. Even have a Buick truck in the collection and an original Buick ambulance from the 1950s, pace cars and experimental Buicks as well.

Flint is a hurting economic area but has 3 colleges in the area. Buick was probably without a doubt the largest employer in its heyday. Breakfast specials were we ate was $2.99!!!! Don't see that in my area. One room nice apartments $399 a month. Again non existant in my area of the country.

sorry if I got slightly off the GNX subject.

kirbanperformance.com

Fact: Every car show I attend I am informed that I, too, have a GNX even though it's a GN or a T. :biggrin:

Haha yup. I'm so sick of hearing " ohhh dudeeeee nice gnx mannnnn" then having to explain why just bc it's black that doesn't mean it's a gnx haha

GNX builds were spaced out at the Fisher Body #1 plant-I don't remember the spacing. A tag was hung on the body as it was being built in the body shop and the foreman and any available repairman followed the build through their respective area. These bodies were as good as GM could make at the time or the tag was pulled and taken back to the beginning of the body shop to start over. At least one GNX was driven as an executive car as I saw it parked in the executive parking garage. I got to watch a lot of GNX,T-Types, and GN Regal bodies roll down the line and to this day have not built a vehicle I wanted to own as much as one of them.