Power logger problem

ALblackT

I've got it all hooked up. And it works fine for around 45 secs, then disconnects, and stops reading. I hit f8, and it says com error. If I close the program, turn the car off, and restart it all it works for another 45 secs or so. Any ideas?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I have been having the exact same issue too. Going to ship it back to TurboBob to see what he can find out. Sorry I can't be more help. When I find something I'll post back

What versions are your PLC software and PL software?? Are you sure you have good connection down at the Powerlogger?

I redid everything, cleaned the connector, downloaded and installed the newest drivers. Still doing the same thing

Was there ever a solution reached on this? Discovered same issue today while installing a new PL.

That's but I was trying to lead up to in my question about what versions of software was being used, but never got an answer, so couldn't advise.

Ok so I updated the software to version 1.4 and flashed PL using above mentioned method and still same results. I can connect with key in on position, but once car is started connection drops and won't reconnect.

I also get an error if I try to connect while car is running. The screen shot is that error.

Attachments

• 1381954434678.jpg
    1381954434678.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 218
So I put the power logger, my computer, my laptop into another GN and it worked fine and stayed connected.

So what in my car could cause the power logger to disconnect when the car starts?

You could try swapping the ecm and powelogger from the GN that works and see if it still connects ok. That way you can see if its an ecm or harness issue

So I put the power logger, my computer, my laptop into another GN and it worked fine and stayed connected.

So what in my car could cause the power logger to disconnect when the car starts?

The only thing I can think that's different when the motor is running is the ignition system. I don't know if a old set of wires could effect it or not. You could try switching the ignition system and wires from the other car.

Your gonna have to process of eliminate.

I've got it all hooked up. And it works fine for around 45 secs, then disconnects, and stops reading. I hit f8, and it says com error. If I close the program, turn the car off, and restart it all it works for another 45 secs or so. Any ideas?

Have you ever figured out what is causing this issue? I am having the same problem with my new PL install. I have a post on here I started yesterday but found your post by searching today.

I haven't found out what the problem is yet, she is stored for the winter. I have it narrowed down to the ignition.

Sent from my XT907 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

I freshened up the drivers using the base driver code from the USB chip people. it is attached.

that message looks like its more of a windows thing, like the driver getting in a snarl, and not responding to the OS.

anyway, we can dig further into it and see whats happening.

one note also, running the laptop from the cig lighter (like with an inverter, or 12v cord) is not a good idea. If the ground is flaky at the cig
lighter cord, the laptop (and inverter, etc) will try to get its ground thru the PL/ECM.

EDIT: remove the driver file, it didn't install correctly.

Last edited:
I have tried three different lap tops, non powered within the car. I have mixed and matched power loggers, ECMs, and cars. Tried about 5 different ECMs, three differrent power loggers, and have put my computer and power logger in at least 6 other cars with it working fine. At a loss. I have found one computer and power logger that have worked in my car. A friend is going to trade me straight across if my stuff works in his car. But if anyone has come to a solution or wants me to try something different please feel free to advise.

Thanks

we will get it figured out, for sure.

any of you guys live in Michigan (or northern Ohio) ?

B

having same issue as above. changed out ecm, still no luck. its almost like the ecm keeps resetting after start-up

It seems that the USB interface chip in the PL is picking up noise and locking up. Its a rare issue, but its time to get it cleared up.

I've been working with Mike G (one of you guys, can't keep the board nicknames straight) and have narrowed it down to the chip not
responding. From the software side, I'm not sure there is a way to restart it but I'm still looking.

But an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I'm pretty sure the noise is riding into the PL on the shielding of the USB cable, I'm going to
set up some experiments with some USB isolator devices, hubs, and noise filters.

I'll post back the details.

Bob

Bob, I have 3 PL units here with that issue, and I will be glad to send you a computer and PL via Priority Mail for you to examine?

These are sold units that I need to get to owners ASAP.

will they connect with the engine off, but not with it running? or will they not connect?

either way, you can send me them.

Bob