Power logger problem

The ECM and PL from Aaron's [XLR8ONU] car is on the way with another ECM that I would like you to check out and fix if possible when you are able fit that in your schedule after the PL issue!

Should be there Monday or Tuesday, thanks for all you do for us. :)

I would like to ask what if you run the sd2 chip and your pl does this would it cut the engine off and cause problems or is it just on the data logging side of the pl ?

no, its just the datalogging connection.

I have been able to duplicate the issue here, and will have a solution this week.

Bob

Bob, with the 2 PL's I have here did work OK this weekend when we tried them in 2 GN's.

Both PL's were then tried in Aaron's car and I used 3 different ECM's, and it still would dis-connect after 10-15 seconds with the car running.

Does the light on the PL just show that it is connected, or that is has power since it also stops working?

The Scanmaster works ok in his car, and we tried with and w/o it powered but still no PL as it still quit.

A few weeks ago, we tried a PL and ECM from a GN which had a PL purchased about a year ago, and it did work normally in his car, but since no combination of PL's and ECM's has ever been successful?

the disconnect issue is a car-specific sensitivity. I have determined the fix, but want to do a little more testing here. Hit me up on email, I have something for you to try.

Bob

one note also, running the laptop from the cig lighter (like with an inverter, or 12v cord) is not a good idea. If the ground is flaky at the cig
lighter cord, the laptop (and inverter, etc) will try to get its ground thru the PL/ECM.

FWIW, I was having the same problem and this suggestion by Bob seemed to have worked. Running the computer off an inverter was causing PL to disconnect or not allowing it to connect at all(showed a port error).
First try after just running the comp off it's battery netted a perfect log.

Hey Bob did you figure what the fix was for the logger disconnecting? I always run the laptop off the battery. Thanks.

I put a brand new power logger in today in my other car today and it worked perfect the first time I turned it on and no issue what so ever .

Hey Bob did you figure what the fix was for the logger disconnecting? I always run the laptop off the battery. Thanks.

so far, testing has shown that grounding the USB connector shell on the PowerLogger unit fixes the issue, at least as far as I can recreate it here.

if you are handy with a soldering iron, I can tell you how to do it, or I'll do it if you send the unit here.

Bob

I am pretty decent with a soldering iron. What all needs to be done to ground the USB shell? You can PM me if you'd like.

Check my post in this forum PL disconnects when engine running. The link to the repair video is posted there. I did the grounding on the back side of the PL board and my PL works fine now. Thanks again Bob B for figuring out the issue!

I PM'd him the info, but haven't heard back.

I hope it helped.

Bob

Got the info. Thanks for the videos, Bob. Haven't tried it out since I've been out of town for the past 3 weeks. I appreciate the help!

can someone post the link to the video or instructions..... I've had my PL for a few yrs now and all off a sudden I've got the same problem.

I soldered mine in between the USB input and aux cable input. Easy to do and I didn't have to remove any of that black goo

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

see if this works. I ended up grounding mine on the back side of the board to get it working.
thnx. what is this about the "green only" PL....if I have the black one...does this still apply?