Power loss

chrisgn6

im having a problem.86 gn all stock other than a tt-chip and HD wastegate. The car has no power. I can apply the gas pedal at least have way before it starts to pick up speed. Sometimes if stalls/miss or whatever it is when I'm trying to pull off from a light. I have repaired the driver's side header already. I checked for spark also with an inline spark tester and it was good. I don't have a caspers tester. Where should I go from here guys?

I do have a scanmaster also.

How long have you had the car? When I got mine I had the same problems and eventually found out I had the wrong torque converter and rear diff.

Also do you have a scanmaster?

I've had it over a year now. The tranny was rebuilt recently and a new converter. I'd have to ask my mechanic what converter he installed. I do have a scanmaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your description is too vague, to pinpoint area that could be causing problems. Post some SM numbers..
Some areas are:
Fuel psi is?
Chip match inj's?
Vac, boost leaks?
Checking the spark w/ that tool is pretty much useless. You need to verify the condition of the entire ign, fuel system{s}.
Batt voltage?
Cat converter still on the car?
Is your "mechanic" qualified to work on the car?? This is no SBC!:smuggrin:
Have you done a "spring cleaning"?

I will post my sc numbers when I get off work along with the fuel psi. My chip was burnt for stock injectors.
I'm going to change my vacuum hoses and the hoses that's going to the turbo. What tool should I use to check spark? Caspers?
Batt volt- 13.2
Cat still on the car. Plan to remove it since I don't have to go through emissions.

Can you post the link for the spring cleaning?

My mechanic is qualified. All he has done was my tranny rebuild.

Running that bad surprised its not throwing codes? Could be the tps. Easy to test with the scan master. Also maf could be screwy.p post us some numbers.

SC NUMBERS

AF-06
L8-42-45
BAT-13.4
INT-128
BL-141
CLT-162-168
ATS-86
RPM-700-750
TPS- .34
IAC-32
CC-up and down. Goes up in the 200's, not above 255
MAL-00

Fuel pressure was 20 psi

SC NUMBERS

AF-06
L8-42-45
BAT-13.4
INT-128
BL-141
CLT-162-168
ATS-86
RPM-700-750
TPS- .34
IAC-32
CC-up and down. Goes up in the 200's, not above 255
MAL-00

Fuel pressure was 20 psi

TPS is too low. Set it to .42V
If fuel psi is w/ line on, it's low. Should read 37-39. If it's line off and plugged, it's waaay low! :eek: Set it to 42-45 psi, line off/plugged. BL shows the ecm is adding fuel, probably due to low fuel psi. Take a drive, & re-read the Scanmaster, and post the numbers..

TPS is too low. Set it to .42V
If fuel psi is w/ line on, it's low. Should read 37-39. If it's line off and plugged, it's waaay low! :eek: Set it to 42-45 psi, line off/plugged. BL shows the ecm is adding fuel, probably due to low fuel psi. Take a drive, & re-read the Scanmaster, and post the numbers..

My fuel pressure regulator is stock. I do have an adjustable. Should I install it first and do what you said?

My fuel pressure regulator is stock. I do have an adjustable. Should I install it first and do what you said?

Absolutely..20psi is causing major problems. No way to "adjust" that reg, other than to put the "crush" on it.
Are you sure the pump is good? The voltage to the pump at 13? The filter is new?

I'm putting the adjustable on as we speak. The filter is about 6 months old. I'd have to verify volt to the pump. I do have a 255 walbro that I can install also.

I think my fp gauge may be a POS! installed the AFPR. couldn't get the psi to go past 20, line off , using my gauge.

I think my fp gauge may be a POS! installed the AFPR. couldn't get the psi to go past 20, line off , using my gauge.

You can get a fuel injection pressure test kit from Autozone,they have a loan-a-tool program. You pay for the tool when you pick it up and when you return it they give you all your money back. So it won't cost you anything when your done except the trip to the store.

You may be right. I need to check for vacuum leaks also. My hoses are old. You know a good place to get the intercooler hoses? Know the vacuum hose sizes? I'm going to install my walbro fuel pump and remove my cat. Don't need emissions. So I can just weld in a piece of straight pipe correct?

cf1bdf22d38af9a5d1f1451de60de108.jpg

I want the hoses with the hump