Power Window speedup

Night Train

I found this post on the F-body list. Seems like they modify their existing window motor rather simply to increase it's speed.

Re: [4] Power Window Motor

> I remove the motor with the regulator, and leave the 2 intact. I
remove the end cap from the motor and cut away the thermal limiter and replace it with copper wire soldered in. Works like a brand new motor again. Costs me 4 rivets.

They also say that one can get a replacement motor for $50 at Autozone that works well, bus is somewhat difficult to install.

Anyone have any experience doing this or something similar to their cars?

I believe the reason for the thermal switch is so that fuses don't get blown if the switch is held after motor reaches the end stops.

I think there is a kit that Casper's or somebody else sell that aid in speeding up the windows. But all it is rewiring the window switches to get more power or higher voltage through the alternator somewhat like the hot wire kit for the fuel pump....

I don't know about hacking into the stock motor. And they are not that easy to change. If your going to remove it and wanted to rivet it back then you have to purchse that heavy duty rivet gun or you can just nut and bolt it.

I would suggest adding a power window module from DEI part number 530T. This might speed up the window motors and also add a good feature to you alarm system. Also it has a unique auto touch feature that rolls up and down you windows with a slight tap on the switch. You can also pm me for more info on this window module.

Directed Electronics.
They own most everything automotive electronic that is built in the US now.

good company

order the power window wiring upgrade kit from Kirban....about $47....it is a relay and a hotwire feed from the alternator, to the sunroof wiring feed, which connects with the window feed, it is worth the money.....easy to install.....

I pulled my switches out and checked my wiring.With the car running i was getting 14V at the switch and only dropped a volt operating the switch. It looked like 12 ga wire to me. I cant see it needing much more than that. I did replace both switches and that helped.

Scott

Isn't the ground connection the weak link?! NOt to mention the age of the motors. I replaced the passenger motor recently. Took less than three hours, I thought this would be a real PITA but it wasn't.
Window is fast now, if I raise both sides at once the drivers side still has 1/3 of the way to go when the pass. side is all the way up.:)

'86 GNAT orig owner
'87 Regal "T" w/ turbo daily driver

Originally posted by 1owner
I replaced the passenger motor recently. Took less than three hours, I thought this would be a real PITA but it wasn't.
Window is fast now, if I raise both sides at once the drivers side still has 1/3 of the way to go when the pass. side is all the way up.:)

'86 GNAT orig owner

THIS IS THE ANSWER. NEW MOTOR. AVAILABLE AT MOST PARTS STORES FOR AROUND $50.

I bought a new motor from Advance Auto for $35. It was only a few $ more than a rebuilt unit.

'86 GNAT orig owner