Powermaster to Hydroboost conversion

It fit once I disconnected the line from the hydro unit, and then tucked the line to the pump behind the return line. To be able to tighten the nut I had to remove the tensioner, but left the alt and A/C bolted up. Then I twisted the line to bolt down the to the pass side as you pictured. The T and the other line to the gear was easy. Now all that's left is to jimmy the pedal to fit and move the brake lines to fit into the master. Thanks for the info.

Glad your getting it! The payoff is going to be awesome! Wait till you feel the power of those brakes!

Glad your getting it! The payoff is going to be awesome! Wait till you feel the power of those brakes!

It really was a pretty easy job once the tensioner was out of the way. I even replaced the PS pump while I was down there.

So basically the vacuum is pulled off the power steering pump to run the Hydroboost and then run back down to the steering gear? am I right on this?

i am wondering if I can use the same trick with my LS1 swap i am doing.......

Is it normal for the hydroboost to whine a little when turning the wheel? I just got done installing in my 86. I also replaced the powersteering pump and when turning left while parked it seems to be a tad sluggish for some reason.

It is normal for it to make a little sound but not enough to really notice it. I'm thinking your Power Steering pump is junk. I went through 3 re-man PS pumps on my GN before I finally through in the flag and put the original back on. No problems since!

Great write up....got a question tho.

What size and type of fitting goes into the booster for the return line?

Thanks, Bill

I was thinking the same thing. It whines like hell under rpm, nothing when at idle and turning the wheels. I guess I'll buy the ac delco one from highway stars. Good thing though, it stops on a dime now!

It is normal for it to make a little sound but not enough to really notice it. I'm thinking your Power Steering pump is junk. I went through 3 re-man PS pumps on my GN before I finally through in the flag and put the original back on. No problems since!

gteatr6, just got done today with my install and same thing, whines at high rpm. Factory pump on car now. Any ideas anyone before I try a new pump?

I just took a pump off my other GN that I am redoing. I will try that one tomorrow night. I think it is the reman pump causing my problems. My original pump was going bad and that is why I put the reman one on to begin with.

Great write up....got a question tho.

What size and type of fitting goes into the booster for the return line?

Thanks, Bill

So all you guys that just did yours dont know what size fitting you used for the return line? :confused:

Billsgn you use a 3/8 T barb fitting, the OP used a plastic vacuum tee that is pictured in this write up, I used a brass one, I am sure either is fine. You can get either from the help section in the auto stores.

I used the factory 84 gn hose (part numbers begining of the thread) and 3/8 rubber trans line going to a brass tee into the the return off of the factory tank. I know the wrench size for the factory hose is 16mm and 18mm.

So all you guys that just did yours dont know what size fitting you used for the return line? :confused:

lol, I know how to read.... :cool:

I am asking about the fitting that the return hose goes to on the booster itself. Not the t-fitting or the pressure lines. I have all of that already. :wink:

The booster itself just has a nipple protruding from it with a flared end that the return hose slides over and you just hose clamp it. So there really is not a fitting size there. Nothing with threads per say. Hope that helps.

The booster itself just has a nipple protruding from it with a flared end that the return hose slides over and you just hose clamp it. So there really is not a fitting size there. Nothing with threads per say. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the response....unfortunately it doesnt help me as my booster doesnt have the nipple protruding from it, just a threaded hole. Appears to be 1/4 inch so I guess I will get a couple of male threaded fittings in both metric and std and figure it out. I was hoping for an easy way out but as usual with these cars, that doesnt exist....lol

Bill

Billsgn you use a 3/8 T barb fitting, the OP used a plastic vacuum tee that is pictured in this write up, I used a brass one, I am sure either is fine. You can get either from the help section in the auto stores.

Abomb, give it some time for the air bubbles to work themselves out. Mine whined for a little while to, I turned the wheels back and forth quite a few times to work the pump and get those air bubbles out.

Ok, I just put another pump on from my 45,000mi GN and I know it is good, but I still have the whine when you rev and turn the wheel. I don't have the jerky spots when I turn left now, but the whine is still there. I even used 12oz of lucas and had the front wheels off the ground when I filled the pump. Of course it was quite as can be when the wheels are off the ground. Any ideas on the whine now????????????