Powermaster to Hydroboost conversion

someone posted that they used tranny fluid in thier pump and that stopped the whine problem in another thread...

I saw that. I wonder if the return being t'd in is just to restrictive and not allowing the fluid back to the pump fast enough? It is quiet as can be just sitting there and fairly quiet if you turn the wheels and don't give it gas.

I saw that. I wonder if the return being t'd in is just to restrictive and not allowing the fluid back to the pump fast enough? It is quiet as can be just sitting there and fairly quiet if you turn the wheels and don't give it gas.

IT didnt whine when you had the last brake system on correct? I'm thinking the booster is out of whack. The 3/8 tees are used in all of these conversions without a problem. It has to be a restricted booster.

It's not the T. If the pump is whining, then there is either air in the system, or a restriction in the booster. What does the fluid look like? Is it foamy, or frothy, or is it clear? How long have you had the system up and running? Answer these questions and we'll go from there. And like Jdpolzin said....DO NOT use tranny fluid. It will burn the pump AND the booster up!

---Keith

Fluid is clear, but I just went out and pumped the brakes and turned the wheels and I have lots of tiny bubbles. Not foamy, but definetly got bubbles. Should the return from the hydroboost have fluid coming out all of the time, or just when you apply the brakes? After checking the fluid, I removed the return hose and put another one on and held it above the resivoir. I didn't get anything coming out, but I was by myself and didn't apply the brakes. I also plugged the hose I removed that goes to the tee, so I wouldn't suck air. I am starting to get frustrated now. I put the system on yesterday and tried another pump today. I haven't driven more than 10 miles total and less than a mile today.

Tiny air bubbles means you have air in the system. You can bleed it out by starting the car, and turning the steering wheel stop to stop two times and then turn the car off. check the fluid level and condition...if you have the air bubbles, wait an hour or so for them to dissapate, and then try again. The HB is generally a self-bleeding system and the air will work itself out. There will only be fluid flowing through the return hose from the HB when you apply the brakes. Try to bleed the system, and also try routing the return hose into a bucket and apply the brakes. if fluid comes out upon application of the brake pedal, than that's good. Try these things and post back... ---Keith

Tried bleeding it again, drove it to work and back today. About 30 mi round trip. Seems fine driving, but turning slow, it whines like hell still. I sat here at home now and I still have some tiny bubles, but nothing like last night. Noise is still the same. If I turn the wheel slow either way and stop about half way before hitting the stops, I can here a hissing sound inside the car from the hyrdoboost location. Is it possible I have a bad unit? It stops damn good with no effort and I really don't want to tie up any more money.

Keep trying to get those air bubbles out. Thats your problem. I dont think it possible for a pressurized hydroboost unit to suck in air. If anything it would leak out. So I'm assuming you still have air in there.

Keep trying to get those air bubbles out. Thats your problem. I dont think it possible for a pressurized hydroboost unit to suck in air. If anything it would leak out. So I'm assuming you still have air in there.

I agree. You could try purging the return line, if you haven't done so already, by unhooking it from the T and routing it into a bucket. Then start the car, and GENTLY press the brake pedal...fluid should come out. Reconnect and bleed once again. Gotta get that air out!! Post your results. ---Keith

Hydroboost Fitting Sizes

Anyone know whether the thread is a 18mm or 16 mm for the pressure hoses?

I have made quite a few changes to the set up and the power steering pump now runs on the passenger side. I want to build SS braided lines so that means a metric union adapter with a -6 male.

Just need to know metric side which threads into the hydrobooster. It looks like an 18 but thought i would ask for sureness.

Now I am getting pissed. I pulled the hose off the hydroboost and pressed the brakes. Fluid came out. I forgot to plug the hose I took off, and now I have a lot of power steering fluid to clean up. Anyway, still same thing, maybe a little quieter now. Seems fine driving. Makes the whine in park, reving it up and turning the wheels. I can here it also when I come to a stop and turn. Down the road or at idle going straight no whine. I bought a vacuum brake pedal and I am damn close to going that route. I want this to work damn it!

Take a break and relax...no need to switch to a vac setup...we'll get this figured out. Does the fluid still have air bubbles in it? If so, there is still air in the system. It WILL work itself out...just give it time. Did you get a reman booster, or a used one? Where did you put the T in the return line? Are you confident you have no kinks or restrictions of any kind in the system?? (pressure or return)

That sucks about the fluid all over...:frown: Sorry I forgot to mention plugging the other end, my bad...:redface:

---Keith

Anyone know whether the thread is a 18mm or 16 mm for the pressure hoses?

I have made quite a few changes to the set up and the power steering pump now runs on the passenger side. I want to build SS braided lines so that means a metric union adapter with a -6 male.

Just need to know metric side which threads into the hydrobooster. It looks like an 18 but thought i would ask for sureness.

Sorry Mad_Trbo, I don't have the answer to this...wish I did. ---Keith

Keith,

Could you tell me what size the threaded nipple is for the return line on the Booster? What size threads? My booster does not have the nipple....just a threaded hole.

Thanks, Bill

I can't say for sure. I'll take the one out of my spare unit and see if I can match it at a parts store tomorrow night. I'll let you know what I find out. ---Keith

It's not exactlly aproved but we use 80W/90 gear lube in the power steering on the dirt cars which cuts down on whine and stiffen the steering up some. You might want to try adding some and see if it helps. It's more stable at higher temps and pressures.

I don't have any lines kinked. It is better now, but not right. If I didn't read about people having success with the 87 pump, I would have never tried this. I thought about it a long time ago since I have owned an 84 with hydroboost stock and I have done vacuum on some other cars and it does suck with high boost. It almost seems the pump is straining to run both the steering and brakes, but doesn't whine at all at idle while turning the wheels. Just when you rev up and turn. Not as bad as last night, but I wonder if the pump crapped out . I am posting some pics. The fluid pic, if you look really close you can see pin size bubbles and that is it. The wheel doesn't chatter or grab at all, unlike the reman pump I put in to begin with. I ordered the stock ps line today, so I just might try bypassing the hydroboost to see if the pump is still ok. I can change the pump in 35min now:biggrin: I bought the parts from autozone, so they are reman.

Attachments

• hydroboost 003.jpg
    hydroboost 003.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,160
  • hydroboost 004.jpg
    hydroboost 004.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,153
  • hydroboost 005.jpg
    hydroboost 005.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 1,152
  • hydroboost 002.jpg
    hydroboost 002.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 1,142
Gteatr6 mine has quieted down quite a bit since the install, I took some fluid out - I think I had it too full. And instead of tightening the cap all the way down I put it on loosely to try and let some of that air escape easier. It has gotten quieter now the more I drive it, might be worth a try........