Powermaster to Hydroboost conversion

Okay, I bought all the hydroboost parts from Autozone and used the part #'s listed in the first post. The hydroboost units from AZs are remans. There's a slip in the box that says:

"You must reuse the master cylinder pushrod, spring and spring retainer from the original hydro-boost when installing this replacement unit. Remove the spring retainer, spring and pushrod from the original unit. Reverse procedure to install as shown below".

Well, as you know, we don't got no stinkin 'previous' unit....Sooooo, where might I obtain these additional parts? Seems AZ should warn prior to purchasing that you have to scavange parts off an old one :mad:

Call these guys:
Power Brake Exchange 305-635-1120

Otherwise, you might try a boneyard. I am not sure which models have the same MC. Perhaps the chevy astro.

Okay, I bought all the hydroboost parts from Autozone and used the part #'s listed in the first post. The hydroboost units from AZs are remans. There's a slip in the box that says:

"You must reuse the master cylinder pushrod, spring and spring retainer from the original hydro-boost when installing this replacement unit. Remove the spring retainer, spring and pushrod from the original unit. Reverse procedure to install as shown below".

Well, as you know, we don't got no stinkin 'previous' unit....Sooooo, where might I obtain these additional parts? Seems AZ should warn prior to purchasing that you have to scavange parts off an old one :mad:

post a pic of what parts you have...and we can go from there. Something sounds fishy.

post a pic of what parts you have...and we can go from there. Something sounds fishy.

See attached jpg....This is a scan of the sheet in the box. The plunger, spring and retaining clip were not included.

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 843
I am in the same boat: I don't have the parts the instructions said I need to reuse. I mounted everything and have it all working, however, I am questioning whether I need the hardware specified in the hydro boost instructions.

Anybody have an 84-85 that can explain what stock parts go between the hydroboost and master cylinder?

Just my .02 worth: this is a far more difficult installation than vacuum system. The hose going from the power steering pump to the hydro boost was a giant pain to install, requiring removal of all intake parts between the air cleaner and the turbo, intercooler, serpentine belt, and power steering pump itself to install at the pwr steering pump.

Again, just my .02 worth: if I had it to do all over again I would probably do vacuum booster.

It would appear there is a plunger in there, but not extended re: the diagram. The spring is much larger than the diagram shows, so not being familiar with hydro-boost setups, wasn't sure that it was the spring represented or if I'm missing something.

P1030097.jpg

P1030098.jpg

What you see in the booster pictured, is all you need. That is EXACTLY what mine looked like and it works flawlessly. I did not have an original to pull parts off when I did mine either. Just for laughs though, post a pic of your master cylinder so I can see that the correct snap ring is in there...mine had the wrong type and it bound up the piston on the booster causing the pedal to stay at the floor and not return on it's own.

As for the difficulty on install...No part of working on a TR is easy, IMO. If you believe the vac system is easier to install, then go for it. However, it is my OPINION, that the HB is a far better braking system. It may be a touch more difficult to install, but it's definately worth the extra effort in the end.

I am not here to "sell" anyone on one brake system, or another. This thread was intended to give a step-by-step on how to do the swap, and help troubleshoot issues that people have with the conversion.;) ---Keith

You are spot on: the hydroboost brakes work very well, just a little more involved than vac install, especially the formed tubing end on the power steering pump. I got it all together last night, drove it today and yes, the brakes work well. I wish I would have documented everything on installation for the next person, but coulda-shoulda-woulda.

How did you come out on this? Were you able to use the booster as delivered from Autozone? Just curious.

Do you guys know if there is an aluminum master cylinder that will work with this set up?

Not that I know of. The aluminum ones are a stepped bore while the cast iron ones are usually the same size bore front to back.

thanks to this post I'm switching over and have all the parts. But, I know this is a lame question but it's one I got. I got the Cardone MC and it didn't come with the the prime kit (hose and plastic fittings) I've been to 2 parts stores and searched ebay. Any help greatly appreciated.

You should have gotten the plastic bleeder plugs with the Cardone master cylinder. Just fill up boths sides past half way, put the plugs in, bench bleed using a blunt dowel (I used the back of a a screwdriver handle), and crack the plastic plugs after you build pressure up. Yes, it makes more mess than the return hose kit, but you should be bleeding it in a vise so catch all the brake fluid in a shop towel.

You'll love the brakes when you are done.

You should have gotten the plastic bleeder plugs with the Cardone master cylinder. Just fill up boths sides past half way, put the plugs in, bench bleed using a blunt dowel (I used the back of a a screwdriver handle), and crack the plastic plugs after you build pressure up. Yes, it makes more mess than the return hose kit, but you should be bleeding it in a vise so catch all the brake fluid in a shop towel.

You'll love the brakes when you are done.

I know but didn't. I ordered them from OReiley in AZ, and I'm in NJ.
I'll go to Pepboys and see if they will pull from one. Sucks to have everything and held up for this.

Well, if your feeling saucy, you could bleed it on the car by using the pedal. I would put a lot of shop towels below the booster and wrap the line and wrench you use with lots of paper towels and/or rags and make sure you don't get any fluid on anything important.

Good luck to you!

I dont remeber what the thread size is but just take it to pepboys if they wont give you one from one on the shelf you can buy 2 6in steel lines with the correct size fitings cut one end off stick a hose on it and you have an expencieve vertion of what you should have got or go to lows or home depote see if you can find a barbed fitting in the pluming section that fits .