Precision front mount intercooler

434nova

What are they worth brand new? I have a guy local to me who wants 800 for a new precision front mount with polished pipes for 800. I am wondering how good they are compared to a rjc 315 ? I am undecided if I should get the precision or get the rjc. I am looking to upgrade from my Eastern front mount which has been proven to go low 10s with 70degree inlet temps with my pump gas alky setup. Should I go precision or Rjc?

The 315 is really good

There was a guy here selling one at 800

Let me see if I can find him

So does anyone have experience with both or either to try to answer the OP's question about how the Precision compares to the RJC?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I don’t have any personal experience. But I have read reviews from a few members 315 is great.

From what I’ve seen there is different sizes precision front mount.

Hopefully some one could chime in and give you information

The Precision was the best front mount made.

Not so sure about that .. maybe on paper .. certainly not the best one across the board on a street car ...

I'm not going to start a big back and forth debate on this .. and I value a lot of what you post .. HOWEVER I can 100% say .. the PTE is WAY OVER-RATED and there are other intercoolers that will run FASTER on a street car. The problem is how are you quantifying the results and how are you testing it whats the combination and use and so on..

My PTE has been shelved ...

My car has a PTE FMIC on it.

Run's easy low 10.5's all day on 22 lbs of boost with a Lou Czarnota stroker 109 engine and alky injection. Of course, I'm certain it isn't the intercooler making it run like that.... but it helps. :D

Not so sure about that .. maybe on paper .. certainly not the best one across the board on a street car ...

I'm not going to start a big back and forth debate on this .. and I value a lot of what you post .. HOWEVER I can 100% say .. the PTE is WAY OVER-RATED and there are other intercoolers that will run FASTER on a street car. The problem is how are you quantifying the results and how are you testing it whats the combination and use and so on..

What did you switch to and what factors lead to the switch?

Please remove from shelf, and send to me for continued use and testing....ok thanks bye.

What did you switch to and what factors lead to the switch?

What led me to the switch is seeing other intercoolers recover more efficiently and being able to be optimized to allow for hotter tunes..

Testing was done VS a CAS ... this was done on a 10.5x 128 Iron headed full weight Street GN ..

The difference was very obvious in the street where the car spends 90% of its time ... IF we were to quantify the results with another use case I am sure the precision may have got
the nod ..

Please don't take this as the PTE sucked .. its a good intercooler .. BUT its WAY OVER-RATED just because it says PRECISION on it ..

I suppose its brand loyalty at its finest ..

The precision has lower pressure drop than a CAS front mount. My CAS V1 was removed for a Reds SLIC. Car was stuck in the 8.9@151 range with the CAS unit. First pass with Reds intercooler ran 8.86@154, and ultimately 8.4s@159. This is all testing with a tsm legal 3 bolt turbo where back pressure is high, so pressure drop is a big deal. And inlet temps were the same between the CAS vs the slic.

The precision has lower pressure drop than a CAS front mount. My CAS V1 was removed for a Reds SLIC. Car was stuck in the 8.9@151 range with the CAS unit. First pass with Reds intercooler ran 8.86@154, and ultimately 8.4s@159. This is all testing with a tsm legal 3 bolt turbo where back pressure is high, so pressure drop is a big deal. And inlet temps were the same between the CAS vs the slic.
Do you have the dimensions of the reds slic? just curious on how it compares to the pte slic, I do remember it has no necks and was a bar/plate core.

Again not gonna go back and forth so I will leave you with the results I got on the application I got it for ... and have noted your observations as well and the APPLICATION that it was tested with .. these aren't even remotely close which is why I replied that I wasn't so sure on a STREET car.

final thing I will add there is a lot more to a intercooler than IAT and pressure drop and this is where things drop off the cliff .. have just become buzz words

ATR did some of the best testing with intercoolers that I've seen done .. not just looking at pressure drop or IAT temps which is only a fraction of the equation...
Which ultimately led to the 1000hp liquid they developed ...

On another application that I run which is inline with what your car runs ... I would never use a front mount A2A ... liquid leaves them all lacking .

Absolutely w/a is way better, but not practical for a street car, and yes, my car is street driven regularly. I am interested where the Precision was lacking on a mid 10 sec car where the CAS unit was better on the street.

Again not gonna go back and forth so I will leave you with the results I got on the application I got it for ... and have noted your observations as well and the APPLICATION that it was tested with .. these aren't even remotely close which is why I replied that I wasn't so sure on a STREET car.

final thing I will add there is a lot more to a intercooler than IAT and pressure drop and this is where things drop off the cliff .. have just become buzz words

ATR did some of the best testing with intercoolers that I've seen done .. not just looking at pressure drop or IAT temps which is only a fraction of the equation...
Which ultimately led to the 1000hp liquid they developed ...

On another application that I run which is inline with what your car runs ... I would never use a front mount A2A ... liquid leaves them all lacking .

Do you have any experience with ATRs a2a FMIC? I've got one of those in my garage, been thinking about modifying it to use 3" piping so i can use it on my set up as opposed to the RJC 315 that's on the car right now. Application will be on a street car on 93/alky, however i want to use an intercooler that will give be most beneficial to me at the track

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have any experience with ATRs a2a FMIC? I've got one of those in my garage, been thinking about modifying it to use 3" piping so i can use it on my set up as opposed to the RJC 315 that's on the car right now. Application will be on a street car on 93/alky, however i want to use an intercooler that will give be most beneficial to me at the track

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do .. they used multiple spearco cores ... the intercooler itself was very good ... I didn't care for the tube routing they used ...

I ran that intercooler to low 10's @ 132-133 on another application and ran its smaller brother to 141 with a small NOS shot ( car without the spray would hit 135-136 all in on the 60)

There are a lot better intercoolers out now.. this was done ~25 years ago .

There is a lot more to intercoolers and ultimate performance that just doesn't get talked about because of test methodology ( or lack there of ).

Absolutely w/a is way better, but not practical for a street car, and yes, my car is street driven regularly. I am interested where the Precision was lacking on a mid 10 sec car where the CAS unit was better on the street.

Hmmm.. Lots of mid 9 second street driven CTSV running around with w/a ... ATR hit it with the w/a .. just nobody paid attention because "front mounts" were the buzz word for the period

The CAS could tolerate a hotter tune in the street .. which if you look at the core design and overall system design of the intercooler as a whole it makes sense .. again the PTE just couldn't give the same results . it is OVER-RATED big time.

I hope people read your post about Reds SLIC very carefully and read my prior posts as well .. there is a BIG chunk of info there .. I'm not gonna hit the EASY button here for everyone .. but its pretty obvious.

Rob .. can you share what you ran with the PTE on your car prior to the CAS ?

I have never run a PTE on this car. I bought a CAS V1 because at the time I was told it was the best. Comparing IATs in BG in 2016 with other TSM racers, mine were considerably lower than some others in the 95° heat. All that came with a 6psi pressure drop across the core.
Those CTS Vs with a water to air are heat soaking, but that is not the same design of a typical water to air we would run. I am saying having to run an ice box and keeping ice in it all the time you want to get on it isnt practical.
There are many design flaws in front mounts, but everybody thinks it is needed, just like everybody thinks a core as big as the radiator is needed. There are design flaws in every intercooler on the market. Once you understand how air wants to flow, you can move an amazing amount of air through small openings.