Precision front mount intercooler

image.jpg
I have never run a PTE on this car. I bought a CAS V1 because at the time I was told it was the best. Comparing IATs in BG in 2016 with other TSM racers, mine were considerably lower than some others in the 95° heat. All that came with a 6psi pressure drop across the core.
Those CTS Vs with a water to air are heat soaking, but that is not the same design of a typical water to air we would run. I am saying having to run an ice box and keeping ice in it all the time you want to get on it isnt practical.
There are many design flaws in front mounts, but everybody thinks it is needed, just like everybody thinks a core as big as the radiator is needed. There are design flaws in every intercooler on the market. Once you understand how air wants to flow, you can move an amazing amount of air through small openings.
I have I question.
I’m green as it gets, just so you know lol

I’ve always looked at Intercoolers and wondered .
Once it’s pressurized with boost .
The inlet and outlet flowing air
Does the bottom half of the intercooler stop flowing?

I have never run a PTE on this car. I bought a CAS V1 because at the time I was told it was the best. Comparing IATs in BG in 2016 with other TSM racers, mine were considerably lower than some others in the 95° heat. All that came with a 6psi pressure drop across the core.
Those CTS Vs with a water to air are heat soaking, but that is not the same design of a typical water to air we would run. I am saying having to run an ice box and keeping ice in it all the time you want to get on it isnt practical.
There are many design flaws in front mounts, but everybody thinks it is needed, just like everybody thinks a core as big as the radiator is needed. There are design flaws in every intercooler on the market. Once you understand how air wants to flow, you can move an amazing amount of air through small openings.

I would be super interested to see what the results would be with :

a) Liquid Setup
b) PTE on your car VS the SLIC

I can tell you guys, if your car has the factory radiator and stock fan, running the PTE FM IC on a street car will cause much higher coolant temps. If you live in a hot climate, this is not good. Yes, the PTE has a fantastic core, but you will want / need to upgrade your complete cooling system asap if you are putting this on a mainly street driven car. Meaning an aluminum radiator with dual fans. I saw this first hand on my own car in the early 2000's. And it had a larger cored, stock end radiator with the stock fan. The RJC IC-325 is very street friendly, by virtue of it's core design. It's not as taxing on your coolant system, because air flows smoother through the core at speed. Performance differences have been proven by both so there's that. IMO, if I were to spend the money today, I would get an RJC. Thankfully my current car came with one, or else I would be buying one. My blue car, went from a stock intercooler when I first got it, to a PTE stock location intercooler, and finally an RJC IC-325. It still has it on it today, 2 owners later.

-Patrick-

They usually don't look quite like your drawing. There is some form of end tank/chamber on each end of the core that is shaped to channel the flow across the width/height of the core evenly. As to how well the charge flows across the core evenly? Don't know.

Take a look at the picture of the PTE FMIC above & the RJC web-site: http://rjcracing.com/product/intercoolers/

I'm familiar with the RJC-325 FMIC. Judging by the pictures of other designs, the RJC appears to be about the easiest to install without having to modify the car other than two small holes under the radiator core support. Great design!

The laws of thermodynamics will start to play out at a certain point. In theory, you won't see a significant difference in charge temps with different tank designs / orientations. The entire intercooler will remain pressurized, no matter the end tank orientation. However, if you measured charge temps at the top and the bottom, you could see a slight difference. IE: hot air rising affect. But at the end of the day, it's all about pressure drop across the core and charge temp differences before and after the intercooler. A perfect scenario would be as little pressure drop across the core as possible and as close to ambient air temps as possible. This is the challenge.

-Patrick-

this is the inlet .. the out let is a mirror image .. no air path is stopped ( hopefully)
They usually don't look quite like your drawing. There is some form of end tank/chamber on each end of the core that is shaped to channel the flow across the width/height of the core evenly. As to how well the charge flows across the core evenly? Don't know.

Take a look at the picture of the PTE FMIC above & the RJC web-site: http://rjcracing.com/product/intercoolers/

I'm familiar with the RJC-325 FMIC. Judging by the pictures of other designs, the RJC appears to be about the easiest to install without having to modify the car other than two small holes under the radiator core support. Great design!
The laws of thermodynamics will start to play out at a certain point. In theory, you won't see a significant difference in charge temps with different tank designs / orientations. The entire intercooler will remain pressurized, no matter the end tank orientation. However, if you measured charge temps at the top and the bottom, you could see a slight difference. IE: hot air rising affect. But at the end of the day, it's all about pressure drop across the core and charge temp differences before and after the intercooler. A perfect scenario would be as little pressure drop across the core as possible and as close to ambient air temps as possible. This is the challenge.

-Patrick-
Thanks guys
Yeah I’ve always wondered about that I know airflow will usually find it’s easiest way out.
Pushing air through something completely different than sucking through it.

I wonder if they designed a intercooler like a trans cooler .if that would work any better as far as cooling

I would be more concerned about pressure drop then heat transfer since 95% of the people are spraying alky.

I would be more concerned about pressure drop then heat transfer since 95% of the people are spraying alky.
Someone should test a Intercooled car by getting rid of the Intercooler
And spray alky.
No airflow restriction or pressure drop there.

The intercooled cars have a different intake system then hot air cars. I’m sure there are some different airflow abilities there

And spray alky.

The intercooled cars have a different intake system then hot air cars. I’m sure there are some different airflow abilities there
Some of the E85 guys run no cooler

And spray alky.

We have .... doesn't work on a street car

0A599EE9-55E1-4A7F-82F3-1A009A94AC9B.jpeg
One day I’m going to stack up 3 or 4 of these little
guys and Plump them a trans cooler.
Test Pressure dropped and heat.
I’m willing to bet the pressure drop Is significant