Precision front mount intercooler

The laws of thermodynamics will start to play out at a certain point. In theory, you won't see a significant difference in charge temps with different tank designs / orientations. The entire intercooler will remain pressurized, no matter the end tank orientation. However, if you measured charge temps at the top and the bottom, you could see a slight difference. IE: hot air rising affect. But at the end of the day, it's all about pressure drop across the core and charge temp differences before and after the intercooler. A perfect scenario would be as little pressure drop across the core as possible and as close to ambient air temps as possible. This is the challenge.

-Patrick-
I think that temp change from top to bottom is partly due to air not flowing

I'm running a GN1 front mount and I don't see anyone here talking about it ? Am I missing something ?

Hope you know I'm just being a smart-@ss.

I purchased the RJC-325 due to the great reviews, plus made in the USA. Don't recall the specs on the GN1 FMIC.

I think that temp change from top to bottom is partly due to air not flowing

If you read through that lengthy post I listed, you will find some test articles, an interesting discussion on reduction of pressure drop across the core, horizontal flow path vs. vertical flow path, plus using the core as a more of a heat sink then a heat exchanger.

Many years ago one of the Turbo Regal experimenters bypassed the IC & with a sideways "U" shaped tube that connected the turbine discharge directly to the throttle body. I believe he may have injected alcohol also. He has since passed away & I am unable to locate his information any longer.

The old Garrett cored PTE had the best pressure drop, to heat rejection, to weight balance of any commercial Intercooler I have data for. It’s not likely you could better it on a 9.50 or slower car. There are plenty of larger front mounts that won’t do what that Intercooler did and they will block more frontal area requiring even more fan to get airflow across the radiator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you read through that lengthy post I listed, you will find some test articles, an interesting discussion on reduction of pressure drop across the core, horizontal flow path vs. vertical flow path, plus using the core as a more of a heat sink then a heat exchanger.

Many years ago one of the Turbo Regal experimenters bypassed the IC & with a sideways "U" shaped tube that connected the turbine discharge directly to the throttle body. I believe he may have injected alcohol also. He has since passed away & I am unable to locate his information any longer.
I'll keep reading. I did read some but my wife kept telling me when you going to sleep.
When it comes to this car stuff I get stuck on it.

The bypass of intercooler would be interesting to see.
Getting rid of a Flow Restriction I'm sure would also reduce some of the heat being built up by the compressor since it doesn't have to work as hard to push the air. Then add alky.

I have a friend in California with a turbocharged Camaro, he boxed in a AC evaporator core. Just like a water-to-air intercooler. As far as I know he's never done testing. He built the car that way to begin with so there was a never before and after.
I'm sure he's getting good heat transfer. But I'm also sure he's losing some of that power through driving the AC pump.
Does the power benefit outweigh the power loss of AC pump? Who knows.
This is one that I'd like to try.

The old Garrett cored PTE had the best pressure drop, to heat rejection, to weight balance of any commercial Intercooler I have data for. It’s not likely you could better it on a 9.50 or slower car. There are plenty of larger front mounts that won’t do what that Intercooler did and they will block more frontal area requiring even more fan to get airflow across the radiator

Any way to ID the Garrett core vs more recent?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Agree 100%. Personally at our shop with our personal street and race cars have made countless low 9 and even a few 8 sec passes with the pte. Still my favorite. Wish they never stopped making them.

Agree 100%. Personally at our shop with our personal street and race cars have made countless low 9 and even a few 8 sec passes with the pte. Still my favorite. Wish they never stopped making them.
Switched it out for a cas v3 when I went tso but who has room for one of those monsters

Switched it out for a cas v3 when I went tso but who has room for one of those monsters

The cores just got too expensive.

We got some pricing on some Garrett cores the other day and it is just ridiculous in cost. A lot less than the Bell cores, but still more than a Treadstone.

Spearco's are right in that same neighborhood too.

We had to make the tough decision to rock Treadstone cores on our new ICs. Wasn't much other choice. Those old PTE's were beasts.

Corky Bell discussed this 20+ yrs ago...Seems his theories are still valid.

The cores just got too expensive.

We got some pricing on some Garrett cores the other day and it is just ridiculous in cost. A lot less than the Bell cores, but still more than a Treadstone.

Spearco's are right in that same neighborhood too.

We had to make the tough decision to rock Treadstone cores on our new ICs. Wasn't much other choice. Those old PTE's were beasts.
You need a good core. People cheap out on the important parts so they can buy something that offers nothing. If you go with a cheap core, you are not going to make anything better than what is already available.