Premature Walbro Failure

Anyone have any info on walbro's take on this?I tried to contact Mike at FTS to see if he had any info ,but no reply yet....

Been through 4 Walbros!!!

I hate to say it, but I have lost my faith in the walbro pumps. I'm going to try a delphi or bosch.

What is the part number for the delphi piece ?
I seen the Bosch pump on the attached link. Question , Does that have a sock that will go on that or open bottom?

We experienced several Walbro failures on pumps we installed between March and July of this year. I don't have the exact total number, but it was more than 6 pumps, possibly 7 or 8. The worse news is that this accounted for EVERY Walbro pump that we installed during this time. Most of them failed within a couple weeks. We purchased these pumps from a reputable vendor.

Chalk up another one! :mad:
Started last night. FP went up to around 50psi (max) @ 10psi boost! (44PSI base)
I was running close to 21 PSI boost on my DD tune and saw 3 degrees KR.
Thank GOD for Alky! It saved my HG/motor!

Guess I should not complain. My pump is one of the "small % of accepted failures"! Anyone who downplays this issue need to get their head out of the sand! :mad:

I sure hope they come up with a solution...Fast! I'd hate to have to go to an external pump but looks like its going to end up that way.

Any Vendors selling these pumps have any info they are willing to share...:confused:

our's fail

Our pump fail.......grade on report card for pump----F....:mad:

Is anyone trying the XP pumps (Red's)????? LATELY(within the last couple of months)???

Subscribed.

Rich, thanks for all the testing you have done!!! I hope to see you at the open house.

Bryan

fuel pump failure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys got my walbro kit from full throttle on 3-25-08 and finally installed it on 5-12-08 so that makes it about 4 months old! Took a trip with the family to naples this weekend and barely getting out of alligator alley, DEAD PUMP!!!!!!!!!! I cranked the FPR all the way down and managed to drive to a hotel 11 miles away 3-4 miles at a time allowing the pump to cool in between! My great friend NO NOS packed up his truck that same night and drove up with jacks, tools, lights, etc and helped me change the pump. THANK YOU AGAIN NO NOS! I had to buy the crappy replacement pump from advance auto to be able to get home!

Will full throttle do anything for us?

Will full throttle do anything for us?

I am doing everythig I can for you, which is working with Walbro to figure out why some people are having problems. I spoke to them today and they have assured me that they are working on this and some engineers are going to meet this late this week or early next to discuss what they have found so far from the few pumps I have got back and sent them (about 15). I would recommend you send that pump to me ASAP so I can get it to them. That is the only way we can fix your problem right now. They need to see failed units to find out why they failed. 15 out of thousands is not a very good sample
Mike

It now appears that I'm another victim of the Walbro pump saga. After a 3hr run to Charlotte (Lowes Motor Speedway--Auto Fair) Sat a.m., my car/pump died (in traffic on Speedway Blvd non-the less!). After 5-10 min (3 traffic- light-changes & lots of pissed-off fellow "car enthusiasts" later) cooldown, pump/car finally restarted & I was able to get car into Speedway/ & parked w/ Southeast GM Turbo 6 Group Display. I was then OK for several more trips--about 30 minutes or less each--4-5 hours later that afternoon. Didn't move car on Sunday.

Today, Monday, returning from Charlotte to Myr Bch--car craps out again after 2hrs & then 6-more times in remaining 1-hr to get home. Last 3 crap-outs, car/pump would only run about one minute after a 3-5 minute cooldown. Seems like it is a cumulative heat buildup problem.

After finally home in driveway (coasted-in w/o pwr strg or brakes :eek: ) I tested 3 more times, w/ FP gauge laying on windshield: FPmp would not come on w/ ign sw until 3-4 min cooldown from prev stall, & then FP & engine would would start-up OK & idle about 1-2 min before FPres would start droping, FPmp would soon stop running & engine stall-out prontito...

My remaining question is whether a bad FPmp relay could create problems like this--cause this to happen??

[For the record, my pump/kit (834GMHP) & Hotwire Harness, purch from Mike/FTS also, was installed about 2-years ago.]

It now appears that I'm another victim of the Walbro pump saga. After a 3hr run to Charlotte (Lowes Motor Speedway--Auto Fair) Sat a.m., my car/pump died (in traffic on Speedway Blvd non-the less!). After 5-10 min (3 traffic- light-changes & lots of pissed-off fellow "car enthusiasts" later) cooldown, pump/car finally restarted & I was able to get car into Speedway/ & parked w/ Southeast GM Turbo 6 Group Display. I was then OK for several more trips--about 30 minutes or less each--4-5 hours later that afternoon. Didn't move car on Sunday.

Today, Monday, returning from Charlotte to Myr Bch--car craps out again after 2hrs & then 6-more times in remaining 1-hr to get home. Last 3 crap-outs, car/pump would only run about one minute after a 3-5 minute cooldown. Seems like it is a cumulative heat buildup problem.

After finally home in driveway (coasted-in w/o pwr strg or brakes :eek: ) I tested 3 more times, w/ FP gauge laying on windshield: FPmp would not come on w/ ign sw until 3-4 min cooldown from prev stall, & then FP & engine would would start-up OK & idle about 1-2 min before FPres would start droping, FPmp would soon stop running & engine stall-out prontito...

My remaining question is whether a bad FPmp relay could create problems like this--cause this to happen??

[For the record, my pump/kit (834GMHP) & Hotwire Harness, purch from Mike/FTS also, was installed about 2-years ago.]

Exact problem I had.

Here's a little piece of information I received about Walbros just recently.

"All the performance pumps
> are made by Walbro in Caro, MI.I toured the facility back in May. Those
> pumps are made bythe "Aftermarket" division. That group was sold to TI
> Automotivea few years back. They still use the Walbro name and are
> stillbuilding the same pumps up there just north of Detroit.The group that
> makes small engine carbs, bellows pumps,and other stuff like that is
> called "Engine Management"They were recently sold to Sun Capital
> Partners.I've spoken with the Walbro engineer in charge of
> tracking-downthe recent pump problems. The GSS340, GSS341, GSS342,and
> F20000169 pumps have the same internals. The only differenceis the plastic
> inlet on the bottom of the pump. The F20000169 hasa unique inlet that
> they've been using for a short period of time.That is the pump that they
> suggest for the TR, Syclone, and the onethat fits best in the LT1 f-body
> cars. The pumps they are having allthe troubles with is the F20000169.
> Since the only difference is theinlet, they are suggesting that TR owners
> use the GSS340 until theyfigure out why the inlet on the newer pump may be
> causing issues"

I've been into these cars since about the time production of these pumps was shifted over to TI and have never had a good Walbro experience. Was hoping things were going to turn around for me when I had a fellow TR owner tell me that Cottons Performance sells the good ones, so I ordered one of those. The pump may be a good one, I don't know for sure, but it looks identical to the last 3 I have had crap out on me so I'm afraid to install it. It too is the F200000169, has all the same markings, came with all the same stuff etc. He says he hasn't had any reports of failures with the ones he sells, but it's absolutely identical to the other 3 I have had go out on me all from reputable vendors (2 from G-Body, 1 from Full Throttle) so I'm gonna send it back and just keep using my TTA/Syclone Pump. I've done this pump switch out procedure 3 too many times now to take the chance again when the one I have is working fine and meeting the demands (knock on wood).

The inlet is the problem? OK I,ve heard it all now. :rolleyes:

I know right......:rolleyes: were my thoughts too when I received this info....Not to say that is or isn't the problem, I'm no expert on fuel pumps and I don't know much about how they work or how it all comes together, but my common sense thinks how the heck could an inlet cause all of these failures??? and the real question is, is it just limited to the F20000169s or is it happening with the 340s, 341s 342s etc too? cause if it's happening with the 340s and the others they make than the issue is beyond the inlet. I've apparently never had an actual 340 eventhough I thought I have all this time since they all have F20000169 stamped on them.

I know right......:rolleyes: were my thoughts too when I received this info....Not to say that is or isn't the problem, I'm no expert on fuel pumps and I don't know much about how they work or how it all comes together, but my common sense thinks how the heck could an inlet cause all of these failures??? and the real question is it just limited to the F20000169s or is it happening with the 340s too? cause if it's happening with the 340s and the others they make than the issue is beyond the inlet. I've apparently never had an actual 340 eventhough I thought I have all this time since they all have F20000169 stamped on them. To my knowledge and what others have told me the internals of the ...169 are the same as the 340 and I assume the only difference between the two is the inlet. Dunno for sure though since it hasn't been confirmed to me by the manufacturer.

I still have a bad one in the tank. When I get it out, I'm going to disect this sob and see If I can't get to the bottom of this. :wink:

My Walbro that craped on me was bought from Poston's. Poston's made good on it and sent me another one :rolleyes:
Kudoos to Poston but, I'm like T-Top.....afraid to even put it in since my EP-381 from AC works great. By the way I can't see anywhere on the pump marked f200000169 or any # alike.