Premature Walbro Failure

That Suck's Rick . I Just Put Back In A 12 Year Old (ac Delco)syclone Pump In My Gn .its Better Then My 6 Month Old Walbro That Took A Dump. Its Bs!!

Fuel Pumps

I've had two Walbro 340's that failed within a year,1 Holley that failed in 5 months.The first pump I ever bought for my first GN was a Red Armstrong (Quad Air),had the car for 7 years and it was still going strong when I sold the car.In the past 5 years I have bought 7 more Red Armsrong pumps for my cars and friend's cars and they are all working great.I was told that Red takes a Factory AC Delco pumps and beefs it up but I don't know for sure.All I know is they work excellent for us!!!!!!

Knock on wood, the Syclone/TTA pump is the best pump I've had so far. I could almost eliminate knock with any of the 3 Walbros I've had but could never get rid of it completely. Still have the same setup on a TR that previously had a Walbro. Switched that out when that one crapped out and put in the Syclone pump. Under the same test conditions no knock at all. All other variables are the same only the fuel pump is different. So apparently even when the Walbro is fully functioning it is not putting out the volume/capacity that it is rated at which I believe is 255 liters/hour or ~67 gal/hour. At best I would say it was putting out about the same volume as a stock pump cause you would knock with one of those 2 under the same test conditions. The Syclone pump is rated at 38 gallons/hour while the stock GN pump is 28 gallons/hour. I would say the Walbro ranges anywhere from 28 gallons/hour at the beginning of the week that you put it in to 0 gallons/hour by week end :biggrin:

What about delphi pumps? Are these the pumps being used by GM now?
I need to put an order in asap but dont want Walbros again. Anyone using intank brands other than Walbro with good results other than Red Armstrong?

Delphi pump
PartsTrain.com - Hard to Find Auto Parts and Truck Parts - 1987 Buick Regal Delphi Fuel Pump Stock Replacement

I'm running over 20 PSI with a Syclone pump, SMC alky kit, 60 lb mototron injectors, exhaust upgrade, K&N 9" cone in my GN with 0 KNR. Got knock altough slight (1.2) in the same setup before with the Walbro and the alky spray maxed out.

Knock on wood, the Syclone/TTA pump is the best pump I've had so far. I could almost eliminate knock with any of the 3 Walbros I've had but could never get rid of it completely. Still have the same setup on a TR that previously had a Walbro. Switched that out when that one crapped out and put in the Syclone pump. Under the same test conditions no knock at all. All other variables are the same only the fuel pump is different. So apparently even when the Walbro is fully functioning it is not putting out the volume/capacity that it is rated at which I believe is 255 liters/hour or ~67 gal/hour. At best I would say it was putting out about the same volume as a stock pump cause you would knock with one of those 2 under the same test conditions. The Syclone pump is rated at 38 gallons/hour while the stock GN pump is 28 gallons/hour. I would say the Walbro ranges anywhere from 28 gallons/hour at the beginning of the week that you put it in to 0 gallons/hour by week end :biggrin:

+1

I had one fail on me after 13 months. I tried to get satisfaction from the supplier and was told that the warranty is only 30 days. Imagine placing a 30 day warranty on something that should be reasonably expected to last years and thousands of miles. I understand it's not the suppliers problem but if your account includes thousands, that's a couple, dollars spent with them you'd think they'd send you out a $70 part.

+1:confused:

I didn't know they offered any type of warranty on these Walbro pumps, but 30 days makes since. Looks like they are making them just right since most of the pumps last a little over a month. With a 30 day warranty, which is a joke, I believe they have about the same amount of confidence in their product as I do. ;)

I wonder if someone is making China knock off Walbro pumps??????:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: That would explain the failure rates.

I ran into this same problem with fuel filters that were colored black and gold. I asked for Weldon filters and got these black and gold filters with Walbro stickers thrown in the packing box. When I try to install the O-ring fittings, they bottom out and the o-ring never made the seal. I call up Weldon and ask if I need special fittings and they told me "No". They ask for me to send them a pic of the filter. Once they got the pics, they told me that they are bootleg filters and boy were they pissed because I got them from one of their distributors.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Since I hooked back up my Bosch inline, everything has been cool. I have a failing walbro intanke running along with the inline. I don't think the Bosch inline alone can lift the fuel out of the tank, soooo, thats where I'm at. Walbro is dragging their feet. It does not take that long to figure out the problem but not much we can do.

Doing a little searching around, Bosch does sell a intank pump #040 that compares to walbro's #'s. It is a bit more than a walbro but it's better than waiting. I don't know if any vendors are selling them but just do a general search for Bosch fuel pumps you will find them. ;)

My intank walbro wont go over 58psi. My question to you is how does putting a bosch after the walbro work? Why not just eliminate the intank? If the intank is giving up, how does the bosch keep the supply there? I need to get a pump but dont want to be dropping the tank again in a few months.

I think it's been verified that the commie Chinese are now making knock off Walbros in addition to AC Delco PF 52 filters. I just hope none of our vendors on this board are unknowingly selling the Chinese crap.

My intank walbro wont go over 58psi. My question to you is how does putting a bosch after the walbro work? Why not just eliminate the intank? If the intank is giving up, how does the bosch keep the supply there? I need to get a pump but dont want to be dropping the tank again in a few months.

Not sure exactly how it's working but I had nothing to loose hooking the pump back up. Took me a few minutes to get it going. Not sure if the external Bosch could pull the fuel out of the tank by itself. Hence running the in-tank. It supply's the external. No question it did the trick. Now that its been a couple weeks I need to log another blast and see if it's still keeping up. AFR's have been lookig OK so I asume I am still good.

If I still have a log from the failing pump I'll post it along with one running both pumps.

not trying to come from left field but i notice something yesterday that gots me wondering the buzzing noise when i go start my car up is not there anymore but still getting fuel pressure. First grand national so i'm new.

single walbro 340 with hot wire kit

I need to get a pump but dont want to be dropping the tank again in a few months.

I would suggest trying a Syclone/TTA pump at least until something better comes on the market. Walbros used to be good pumps no doubt. I think you'll be impressed at how much an improvement this "archaic" pump is over the current Walbros. The one I have has a year warranty vs 30 days with the Walbro.

you are talking about the 040 pump right? is this pump a direct fit any mods?
are u happy with it I have been looking at the 040 as well, can this be picked at a local parts house? or special order thanks
this is what I have been looking at Bosch Fuel Pumps

I'm curious about the 040 pump as well. It's comparable to the Walbro 340 and looks like it would fit in tank better than the Bosch 044.

I would suggest trying a Syclone/TTA pump at least until something better comes on the market. Walbros used to be good pumps no doubt. I think you'll be impressed at how much an improvement this "archaic" pump is over the current Walbros. The one I have has a year warranty vs 30 days with the Walbro.

got a link to where I can get one. Is the plug included? I tried to do a search in the tta section with no results. I will go this route! Thanks!