Problems with activating WinXP.

By-Tor

I just upgraded my computer and now it wants me to activate winXP. Problem is when I click on the icon to do it, nothing happens. I've got about a day left and I don't understand why it would let me activate winXP.

Anyone have any hints or solutions to this problem?

Try this and see if the activation wizard will start up:
The Windows Product Activation Wizard is located in System Tools. To open a system tools item, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click the appropriate icon., then click Activate Windows.

or:

Alternatively, you can open the Windows Product Activation Wizard by clicking Start, then Run, and then typing "oobe/msoobe /a".

I've never run into this so I can't say if it will work in your case or not......

Nothing, it does nothing. I click and I see the hourglass for one half second and then nothing.

There have been some glitches with the windows activation popup that i've read about. I can't help you fix it, but I can tell you to backup whatever you need NOW because once the timer runs out you're locked out of windows.

Just call microsoft using the phone number they provide. Takes just five minutes. All you have to tell them you had to reinstall and then this pops up, no hardware was changed. Don't worry, they are pretty cool about it.

Just call microsoft using the phone number they provide. Takes just five minutes. All you have to tell them you had to reinstall and then this pops up, no hardware was changed. Don't worry, they are pretty cool about it.

But hardware was changed.
Are you saying not to tell them that I changed hardware?

But hardware was changed.
Are you saying not to tell them that I changed hardware?

What was changed. Is it an OEM install? You can tell them something like you added video card blah, sound card blah and now you get this message. Trust me, I even have to do this with some OEM servers as I consolidate them. I had one woman (microsoft) coach me through all the correct answers I had to give for before she could give me a key. I wouldn't mention any new motherboards, memory or processors.

They will just be glad you are running a legal copy and not the devil's own or a volume license version:biggrin:

Update

I called Microsoft and they(of Course) were no help. Needed the activation number from a screen I couldn't get to come up to do it by phone. They could of charged me an arm and a leg for technical support, just to tell me what I know what I needed to do.
So anyway I ran the computer in safe mode and saved what files I wanted and did a complete reformat and install of XP.

Well I'm back online and was able to activate windows:D
Not I have to reinstall all my programs and stuff, but now its working.

I wonder if Mac users go thru this crap?

What was changed. Is it an OEM install? You can tell them something like you added video card blah, sound card blah and now you get this message. Trust me, I even have to do this with some OEM servers as I consolidate them. I had one woman (microsoft) coach me through all the correct answers I had to give for before she could give me a key. I wouldn't mention any new motherboards, memory or processors.

They will just be glad you are running a legal copy and not the devil's own or a volume license version:biggrin:

I built my computer myself and used OEM software from newegg. All I replaced was my Motherboard, CPU and RAM.

I wonder if Mac users go thru this crap?

Don't get me started on the crap they have to deal with....

You're better than that. You did good getting all that work done yourself. I am at the top of my IT department and I am shocked at how little even IT people know about hardware.

If at some point youve had enough with windows...try Linux Ubuntu OS... once you get past the learning curve, you'll wonder why you pulled your hair out for as long as you have

you wouldnt beleive the cool stuff you can do with just the desktop... and all the programs are open source..meaning free!

If at some point youve had enough with windows...try Linux Ubuntu OS... once you get past the learning curve, you'll wonder why you pulled your hair out for as long as you have

you wouldnt beleive the cool stuff you can do with just the desktop... and all the programs are open source..meaning free!

Glad to see you're not pushing mac stuff anymore...

For security on a desktop, I run pcbsd. For absolute usability and ease of use, ubuntu for the desktop environment is awesome. Not to mention the eye candy that not even OSX can touch.

Glad to see you're not pushing mac stuff anymore...

For security on a desktop, I run pcbsd. For absolute usability and ease of use, ubuntu for the desktop environment is awesome. Not to mention the eye candy that not even OSX can touch.

LOL for graphics suff...was hard to beat OSX but I got Gimp for linux and its close to doing what photoshop does

eyecandy is right...its awsome plus the funny thing is..not much is written in terms of virus's for linux...stuff is out there but they tend to go after the windows crowd which is fine with me.

no lock ups, crashes and plenty of forums for insight