Question for the experts...

zBuick

Buicks Rule
I have a Skyhawk project car that I am going to put a Buick V6 back in, has no motor at the moment. I have a vailable a V6 from 83 with the turbo setup. Can I use this engine without the turbo..... I know the intake is different, and obviously the passenger manifold, but can the turbo stuff just be eliminated, (and maybe sold to someone on this board that needs it?) and the remaining NA engine be fine?

Thanks for taking a look at this.

z

well first........ the turbo exhaust manifolds are a pain in the ass to get to fit.... but they do fit... you need the 83 cast iron ones.... no others fit as well particularly any of the tubular types. the 83 were the best with the way the drivers side has a larger indentation for the steering. also you would need 86-90 S10 AC accumilator since it points the fittings in a different direction to make the pass side manifold fit. Also a down pipe specific to the H-body with turbo... i have that as well.

2nd, please tell me you need parts..... i have a whole skyhawk.... in pieces that i want to unload. if your near new mexico the local price gets down to pennys and beer. but turbo is possible......... i was doing it to mine until my daughter said she didnt like it... so she went to a monza notch........... i was like WTF? and thus the buick got parted out.

I also must say, I actually remember that car and driver article.... Also, b4black, thats my Century Turbo Coupe on your web site... gone now, but got another...
Going to keep thinking about this project

Ah, Joe, I should have recognized you when I looking over the list of cars in you signature. :)

Yeah stuffing the turbo piping in that tight space wouldn't be fun. The '83 turbo block should work just fine. It has the rolled fillet crank, turbo pistons and I believe it should have a baffled oil pan. My '83 has a 25514290 casting number.

Thanks for the memories Rich. I haven't seen that in a long time and I think I even have that article somewhere. Welcome to the board Joe and it would be cool to see it as a turbo car but if you want to go NA you can still get headers for the H body and I've got a few 4 barrel intakes if you want to go that way.;) We've got 1 member from Norway that's putting the 83 turbo engine in an H body but I haven't heard from Tor in quite a while so I don't know if he's got it on the road yet or not.

I understand the ease of non-turbo but a N/A stock build 3.8L is going to be a pig. Even with ported heads, cam, headers, etc. it is nothing to write home about. Just a little warning as I went down this road and was underwhelmed with the outcome. Iguess I didn't learn so I build a 4.1L. Even a fairly tame build was night and day difference. The extra torque from the 4.1 is amazing. Either way you want to go, I have or had almost every H-body V6 part made. Now AJ has a good share of it so betwen the 2 of us we have you covered with parts and experience. What are your goals with the car? Just a driver or something a little more radical?

A driver with some power. Fortunate to have enough other cars with tons of power, so something that could be used everyday if I wanted to. Used to have one for everyday, and loved it. The Skyhawk I got is super solid, fortunately.

I missed a 4.1 local on ebay, it was listed as a 3.8, but a pick clearly showed the 4.1 block stamp. Anyway, I didn't want to get into all the turbo stuff, but do want a strong engine, which started this thread in the first place. So the search for a 4.1 will begin- again. FuzzyGN, I will have get some parts from you for this.

Also, FuzzyGN, I appreciate the flat-out honesty about a pig engine.... Will post the 4.1 request in the wanted section...

well first........ the turbo exhaust manifolds are a pain in the ass to get to fit.... but they do fit... you need the 83 cast iron ones.... no others fit as well particularly any of the tubular types. the 83 were the best with the way the drivers side has a larger indentation for the steering. also you would need 86-90 S10 AC accumilator since it points the fittings in a different direction to make the pass side manifold fit. Also a down pipe specific to the H-body with turbo... i have that as well.

2nd, please tell me you need parts..... i have a whole skyhawk.... in pieces that i want to unload. if your near new mexico the local price gets down to pennys and beer. but turbo is possible......... i was doing it to mine until my daughter said she didnt like it... so she went to a monza notch........... i was like WTF? and thus the buick got parted out.

Dr. Frank... May get with you on some parts soon. I have a pretty complete car, but there is always something...

In NA form, I think they are all OK. If this were a SFI/Turbo build, then I would try to get an 83/84 block. The later engines (3.8 or 4.1) have minor refinements which make them a little better/stronger.

If you care about a knock sensor, then the 1982 and 1983/84 blocks already have that taken care of.

4.1 V6's were used in 1980-84.

Got this off ebay for $600 delivered. Its obviously not what the ad says as we would all know. It is clearly a 4.1 as shown on the block stamp in one of the pics. The casting number says its from 84, which is the newest 4.1 I can get, so I'm happy with that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261210921964?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Somebody turbo'd this motor, made a plate for the intake, and custom headers. The intake is a Holley. Couple questions...

CharlieF1 - you say headers are still available? If so, can you point me in the right direction? Also, wasn't there a head change along the way that would make a difference in the exhaust manifold / header?

DrFrank / fuzzyGN, got headers or exhaust manifolds that will fit this 84? Guess I can re-customize the passenger side header... Will be in touch for other parts. Trying to finish the Century again before I get back to the Skyhawk. Never thought I'd be doing two cars at the same time.

Also, one of you that replied, or I read elswhere, that the best intakes are the factory ones.... More opinions? Do I try to use this Holley?

The trans may be available to someone, says its rebuilt as well (its a TH350C, with lock up), I'm going with a 200r4 behind this 4.1 in the Skyhawk. The turbo and headers, etc may be for sale also.

Good find on the 4.1!

That is one confused engine - 86/87 turbo headers, NA intake, electronic carb, draw thru turbo. I wonder if it was ever running in a car like that....

I believe Headman or pacesetter are still making NA headers for the Buick V6. As far as going turbo, all you'd need to do is find a set of 83-85 headers or wait until the speed daddy headers are fully vetted. There's a post in the HA section about them and I believe Rich is trying a set himself.

Hi guys , I don't want to hijack this thread or anything but I've been following it for a couple weeks now and I just got to finally pipe up and mention that I also have a 75' project Skyhawk that I'm attempting to drop a 3.8 turbo from an 83' t-type Regal into but so far am having a heckuvvatime finding the missing ESC and wire harness that I need to make it happen. Am also looking for an appropriate 4 bbl carb for it. I have the engine almost built and would love to be driving it before the snow flies again up here.

Any help you friendly folk here can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to bust in Joe.

Thanks, Sav
p.s. Should I move to another thread?

Attachments

• IMG00302-20120725-1512rsz.jpg
    IMG00302-20120725-1512rsz.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 100_0065RSZ.JPG
    100_0065RSZ.JPG
    276 KB · Views: 61
Welcome to the board stranger.;) Glad to see you over here now.:D It would be better to start your own thread so info doesn't get confused between the 2 of you.