Question on Duttneck modification

BuickMike231

60% of the time, it works every time.
I've been looking at this for a while, seems like a pretty useful and cheap mod to make. Do alot of people go this route? My car's mostly stock right now so I don't need a huge front mount. I was curious to get feedback from anyone on here that's done this to their intercooler and to see what they thought. Was it worth doing, or is it a marginal thing? Thanks for any help!!

I have not done this mod, but have heard that you could gain up to 2 lbs of boost with this mod alone. I'm sure others will chime in who have actually done it.

I noticed the extra pound or two of boost plus acceleration felt better in a passing situation. I used to drive my car highway-only when I went to school and I remember the first day with the new intercooler neck was awesome. Any restriction is bad in a turbocharged system.

I have been told on here from several people it is a waste of money save for a streched (PTE) one. NO CHINESE!!

You know what..... for $70 and not wanting/needing a front mount, it's a great modification.

Boost came up quicker, and like others have said the elimination of a restriction.

Save your $70.00, plus cutting/welding time and spend it somewhere else useful that'll help you utilize the final combination of the car down the road.

I've been 117+mph on an untouched stock intercooler with TurboIndian's car many years ago. At that point you need to start thinking of an upgraded aftermarket intercooler. Heck we testing these back in the early '90's... :rolleyes:

K.

I picked up 20 HP with this mod with no other changes at the wheels on a dyno.

I went 118 MPH in the quarter with it and when I installed my Precision Front Mount I picked up nothing.

Thanks a lot for all of the feedback guys, much appreciated!! Any other comments on it are always welcome too. Thanks!

I went 118 MPH in the quarter with it and when I installed my Precision Front Mount I picked up nothing.

Please list the rest of the car's combination so we might better understand the above stated. You might just save a bunch of people from wasting the money on anything other than a stock intercooler.

K.

61, 3200 stall, alky, stock motor except valve springs.

I like the Front Mount but I could have spent money on other things and done it later...It was not holding me back, I'm pretty sure heads are the next thing I will do.

I'm fairly sure there's more left in it as I had some other issues (like I found the EGR valve was completely loose).

Good upgrade. If you go bigger turbo it will make sense , my 61's inlet is 4" and the outlet is bigger. I actually use the hose that used to be on the uppipe.
So didn't want to stuff that big opening into the stock opening. Transition hoses are available though. It's a cheap upgrade and the way the factory should of done it.

Another Opinion

A couple strange opinions on this. Its a good debate, like upgrading from a stock ported throttle body to something larger. Some folks are quick to bash the ones who do. Why? If it doesn't hurt the performance, and you have the money to spend, why not do it. With the authors part combination, which is still basically bone stock, what would changing to a big neck possibly hurt? It is a proven worthwhile modification with a recipe car. Sure, people have gone fast with an untouched cooler. What kind of boost was the turbo actually making at the turbo? What was the inlet temps? Probably not too good. Could these guys have benefited from a big neck, you bet! Why didn't they do it? Who knows.

Long story short, if you are going to keep the stock turbo, the big neck is a somewhat easy 20hp gain. I could think of several other mods I would invest in first, but a big neck would definitely be in the future. Someone posted on here that any restriction in a turbo system is a bad one. Sure is! Go for it, and remember, a few stock turbo/modified stock intercooler combos have been deep in the elevens.

I just put a SLIC on my car this weekend with this upgrade, Boost is the same, have not tried to dial it up though. Car seems like it is the same responsivness from a stop, maybe a little bit quicker on the throttle not too noticable. I think when I'm in 2 or D and drop a gear to getting into it the cars pulls a little more... I'm going to wait until I do a few more mods to dial up the boost, I'm sitting at 14 pounds now...:biggrin:

Precision Stock Location Intercooler

Would love any feed back on the Stock Location Precision Intercooler vs.Stock

i have a basic stock set-up and like the mod, seems to spool quicker.....picked up a lb of boost etc. however the improved air flow put me a bit over the top, started to run a tad lean so I have to add about 1 gal. of 100 unleaded to avoid kr. i do not race my car often but it seems to have picked up a 10th or two. i found a mint unit on the board and kept my 25000 stock unit......i am not changing back.

Do it. Find an intercooler on the board with the Dut neck and buy it. If it helps, sell your stock IC. If it doen't help, sell it and put the stocker back on.
Conrad