Quiet Roll Bar?

Sleeper-6

I have read in the past about people complaining on street driven cars about road noise tbeing transmited through the roll bar into the car. Has anyone thought about using some expanding foam and an extension tube and filling the bar with foam after it is assembled? I think it would kill off resonent noise, deaden the bar, and be very light weight.

Just a random thought I had this morning. :D

I have read in the past about people complaining on street driven cars about road noise tbeing transmited through the roll bar into the car. Has anyone thought about using some expanding foam and an extension tube and filling the bar with foam after it is assembled? I think it would kill off resonent noise, deaden the bar, and be very light weight.

That should help - Here is another thought

Attachments

• 83 regal 009.jpg
    83 regal 009.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 603
That is great looking, I was also tinking about upholstery work on the cage. Maybe a nice padded leather wrap. Should work well for looks and sound.

only in a buick can you have a 10 sec. car with woodgrain in the interior & it doesn't look out of place & nobody questions it :)

I did this YEARS ago

Went in the trunk where the bar came through the trunk floor--drilled 1/4 holes on each bar (around toward the back side) --filled it with expanding foam---made a HUGE difference in the noise. I wonder if I had went inside and drilled a few holes to allow the air to escape (not build pressure) would it have taken more foam. Definitely worth the trouble.

That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking of doing.

I guess I have to get a motor back in this thing before I worry about a bar. :rolleyes:

hmmm i was thinking of putting on some of the roll bar coverings from summit but i think im gonna try the foam idea as well...did you just foam the back tubes????

yes

I just put it in @ the back---Probably should do the front and middle also. I have a 6 point. Seems as most of the noise was coming from the rear.

I had a bar in my last car. After it was done I hated it. The bar acts a big tuning fork inside the car. Never had padding or foam. I'm sure anything would help.

Went in the trunk where the bar came through the trunk floor--drilled 1/4 holes on each bar (around toward the back side) --filled it with expanding foam---made a HUGE difference in the noise. I wonder if I had went inside and drilled a few holes to allow the air to escape (not build pressure) would it have taken more foam. Definitely worth the trouble.

Where did you get that expanding foam? Any links? Thanx...