Rate the following shocks

Which is the better shock

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

USMC_Turbo6

Good Morning Guys,

So here is the question? Which of the following are the best shock for our cars. Can you give me some feed back on why you like a type of shock. Thanks Dee

Bilstein HD shock

KYB

Monroe

Belltech.

I am running a set of Edelbrock shocks and have no complaints at all,
they seem to control better than the Bilsteins that were on there ,
ride is smooth, and controled.

I actually run the KYB's on the 86 & 87, because I think you get the best bang for the buck. however for the best I would say the bilsteins.

I am running the bilstein shocks right now and I can say they will be changed to something different in the near future.

So I'm restoring my 87 Turbo right now and the suspension is an item for this fall but it needed shocks BADLY (it had the original shocks!!!) :)

I went with the KYB gas adjust as a stop gap measure, they were $140 dollars for the set and I got what I paid for, they are better than blown shocks but they are not great. However, with the suspension design and age of these cars if you want it to drive right you're going to need to rebuild the entire suspension system and shocks are only part of the equation IMO.

There is a very important part of this equation missing.

Best shocks for what purpose? Comfort, handling, drag racing...and are you looking for the best shock period for your application or the best bang for your buck?

What I'm looking for is a good all around shock. I have done a lot of upgrade to my suspension from springs, sway bars, upper and lower control arms, brakes and brake rotors, back seat frame brace and front brace for under the hood. I also have a set of air bags that I can put back on the car too. I still need to do the shocks, A arms, and body brushing. So what am I missing?

I just installed Bilsteins and they are a little stiff in the back for my taste. I have airbags, no air, and a Hellwig bar. I'm hoping they break in a little. The fronts are perfect. IMO.

My thoughts.....the consenses seemed to be leaning toward Bilsteins....and I agree I run them on my turbo-t and my 94 Blaszer 2 door...

there is a reason Bilsteins are one of the major choices with performance cars from the factory and actually going by memory the GNXs were suppose to get them from what I recall.

Bilsteins also are credited with creating the gas shock...

so if money is not a hindering factor buy Bilsteins.....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I am not familar with the various types that are adjustable...for track use I am sure others would be better but for the street Bilsteins would be very tough to beat.

Varishocks are the best shocks available for our cars I'm aware of, and they are awesome. Bilstien HD is 2nd place.

Shocks are not Going to make a damn difference unless your body bushings are still functioning. Hence my next upgrade.

so if money is not a hindering factor buy Bilsteins.....

Bilsteins. $300 +/-
VariShock single adj. $650 +/-
VariShock double adj. $950 +/-

but if money is Not a hindering factor,
you could go with RideTech triple adj. with remote reservoir.
$2300 +/-

what about the Detroit speeds shocks? Anyone using those (besides Scott from GNS)? How do you like them?

I know, old thread. I've been getting a thump which only happens with a passenger in the car. It happens over small bumps in the road. Or large bumps too. I thought it was from around the transmission area. Drive shaft doesn't seem to be hitting, nothing in the rear appears to be hitting. All upper body bushings are in place. Put car on lift and mechanic found a nice clean spot on the rf coil spring where it was rubbing against the frame. I don't see how that could cause a thump but what do I know. He is certain that is the cause of the thump. So I dropped the shock and spring to reposition the spring and found out the Monro sens a trac shock is completely dead. When I pushed the plunger in it does not come out at all. I haven't inspected the other shocks yet but I ASSume they are on the way out too. I installed them in june 2011. They were cheap, about $20 each if I recall. Should shocks wear out in 3 years and maybe 25k miles? I just bought 4 kyb shocks at Jegs for about $35 each. This is 1/2 the price that Advance and AZ sells them for, plus no tax and free shipping. My mechanic says 3 years is all you get out of shocks these days.

3 years is maybe all you'll get out of cheap shocks, I don't believe that on nicer shocks.