Rear Downforce Wing

Well, if you pay shipping and insurance I will send you my 28x10.5S on 15x10 5" BS wheels to try. I will only be running DR's this year. Tires have 5 runs/burnouts on them.
I appreciate the offer, but maybe you guys forgot that I used to run 28s. Not with a stiff sidewall, but I know that the 28s won't help my launch, and that's what I'm still concentrating on.
I do know one thing. When I went to the 29.5s, I gained 10 mph right off the bat. To see if there is anything there, at some point I may try a 3.73 gear. I'm crossing the finish (1/4 mile) at past redline.

Donnie, no offense but that is all theory until you get up there and smack it with some power off the line and get to actually try to run a decent 60'.

You're preaching to the choir, my friend. You're not telling me anything I don't know. What do think I've been working on? The first step was to get the fuel map right for this new turbo. That being done, and with the recent discovery involving the nitrous system, it's now time to step up the shot size. That's where it's at. I've just been waiting for a test date at the track without rain. Next weekend is the next planned TT.

You guys are more anxious than I am.

I appreciate the offer, but maybe you guys forgot that I used to run 28s. Not with a stiff sidewall, but I know that the 28s won't help my launch, and that's what I'm still concentrating on.
I do know one thing. When I went to the 29.5s, I gained 10 mph right off the bat. To see if there is anything there, at some point I may try a 3.73 gear. I'm crossing the finish (1/4 mile) at past redline.

29.5s,crossing at redline, what gears are you running now?
if you are running less than 3.73s with that tire and your redline is anything over 6500 you better rethink your convertor bigtime.

My car ran 152 with a 28x10.5 with a 3.42 gear.

29.5s,crossing at redline, what gears are you running now?
if you are running less than 3.73s with that tire and your redline is anything over 6500 you better rethink your convertor bigtime.

My car ran 152 with a 28x10.5 with a 3.42 gear.
4.10s. My home track is 1/8 mile.

I found a couple pictures online that may help your design.
Sorry....had too,lol.

Attachments

• 3414.jpg
    3414.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 700
  • asianpimp.jpg
    asianpimp.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 1,149
Creative, but a little too radical for me. I like the color schemes though. :tongue:

Does anyone remember the Superbird?
How funny looking it must have seemed to so many when it was first unveiled.
I wonder what people said about that car before it hit the track. And how long did it dominate NASCAR before the plug was pulled?
Aerodynamics is not always a pretty sight. But, that doesn't mean it's not effective.

It lasted for 2 years Donnie. The height of the wing was to get the most out of the clean air. Below that height there was so much turbulance it wouldn't work. I remember reading about why it was done that way and it was plain and simple. It could be an option for you though. Might look a little ricey but if it keeps the back down better what the heck.

Spiro Pappas goes 3.88

in the 1/8 WITH A POWERGLIDE.
yes I'm aware its not a buick.

no I do not run a glide,
but feel closed minds do not promote development!;)

I wouldn't worry about running a wing on it because when you think about it the top side of the car is already a wing, albeit not a smooth one. I would worry about managing the airflow through the grill/air dam so that it makes the air work harder and or goes in a directed path to create a vacuum to suck the car down for free downforce. maybe stick a rocker panel on the side but a rear wing creates force but also induces drag, if you do the front managing the air its all free from there. Or you could do it CAN AM style and stick a snow blower in the trunk with a giant fan and go for it haha

Does anyone have any aerodynamic information on the TRs that is similar to the type of information available on this site?

Mulsanne's Corner: Race Car Aerodynamics Database

It would appear that if a setup has a lot of hp available on tap, but can't use it due to aero/traction issues, then the setup can afford more downforce and the resulting increase in drag.
Downforce and drag can be increased along with hp increases, and hopefully performance increases, until no further performance increase is realized due to running out of reserve hp and the increases in drag.

I'm going to start taking notes of aerodynamic technical specs I find on the car. I'll try to list the sources of the information.

1987 Buick Grand National

Drag coefficient: .410
source: 1987 Buick Regal Grand National technical specifications and data - 2 door 3.8 litre (3791 cc) V6 248.4 PS - Carfolio.com car specifications pages

1987 Buick Grand National (stock)

Drag coefficient: .410
sources: 1987 Buick Regal Grand National technical specifications and data - 2 door 3.8 litre (3791 cc) V6 248.4 PS - Carfolio.com car specifications pages and Performance Trends Drag Racing Analyzer Pro 2.0

Vehicle height: 53"
sources: Performance Trends Drag Racing Analyzer Pro 2.0

Track width: 60.0"

Frontal area: 23.1 sq. ft.

Center of gravity ht.: 22"

Front lift coefficient: .30

Rear lift coefficient: .30

Thats some good info you found Don. The problem with these cars is there is NO aerodynamics. Its a flying brick. I think the easiest way to get downforce would be to make a front airdam that petty much goes from the front of the car all the way to the back. The whole underside would need to be flat. I know your smart, look at the lambo's, ferrari's, Radical SR3's.......you get the drift :wink:. The Radical will hold 3 static G's around a corner. These types of cars are made to handle, just look at the body lines. A buick is the exact opposite, big flat nose, squared body lines etc. If you could make a front airdam and side skirts then connect them with a flat floor you could probably see some gains. Think of all the "Nooks and Crannys" where air can get trapped and cause lift, then figure out a way to eliminate that (ie Flat floor). I also have some other ideas, but most involve cutting and carbon :eek:;), and I know the "Purists" would hang me in the streets :D.

It's hard to believe that when Buick broke onto Nascar in the early 1980s, they dominated the field for a few years due to their aerodynamic advantage over the other manufacturers. All they had were a simple air dam and the rear spoiler.

Check this out... Buick Glory Days - The History Of - Stock Car Racing Magazine

1982 Nascar season... YouTube - 1982 Nascar World 600 Check out all the Regals in the starting lineup.
1982 Busch Series... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zritpVq-c3o Can you hear the V6s?