Rear end options

northerngn

Master Monkeywrench
Currently my car has an untouched 10bolt posi rear.
The car has run a best of 11.33@121mph.
This was only at 18lbs of boost and a soft 1.68 60 ft off the 'brake
Next year the boost will be 25ish and i want to leave a lot harder off the 'brake and get into 1.5 or 1.4's
How far can I take my 10 bolt...what part should i use?
or should i just go ford 9in or dana 60 and never look back
I am open to the idea of building my rear if i can go low 60 foots and low 10's

Ok hit me with what you guys know or have experienced....GO!!!!!

-Dan

If your going to keep building the car to go faster put a nine inch in the car. You can put $1500 in a 10 bolt and its still not as strong as a nine inch. I have heard people say you need more power to turn a nine inch? I know its heaver.
I built my 10 bolt with the eaton carrier,moser axles,lpw cover and brace kit. I could have had a ford rear end for what I have in it.

It depends on what you want to spend and what your goals are. A pair of Moser 28 spline axles is really the only upgrade needed to cut 60's in the high 1.4 low 1.5 area and run low 10's. Some have ran 9's with just an axle upgrade. My old T-Type ran mid 10's for 6 years on a stock 120k mile 8.5 10 bolt with just a pair of Mosers. If you plan to try to run deep in the 9's or faster you would likely be better off the sell the 8.5 and upgrade to a 9".

I had asked about the same thing about the 8.5" in mine but mine having welded tubes and 30 spline eaton/moser axles and the general air i got was keep the 8.5" it will hold up well into the 9's with my setup. I never did confirm how much more the 9" weighs but i know the dana's are probably the most heavy of them all!

For the rediculous amount of money the stock 8.5s sell for, it makes no sense to keep IR and spend money on it. Sell it and build a nine inch with a true track set up and bolt disc brakes up to it. They are easy to work on And parts are everywhere. I have two cars currently running 9in rears and couldn't be happier with them.

I agree with everyone above. I have 33 spline w/ c clip elem. and a spool in my 8.5. I'm happy I kept the 8.5 since the car is a low mile GN that hasn't been touched except bolt-ons but for the money I spent I could have sold my rear and bought a 9" but for me I wasn't ever planning to push the car hard enough to break 33 spline axles and wanted to keep the car as original as possible while staying safe.

Thanks to all the replies...kinda went the direction i thought...i have currently priced both a dana 60 and a 9 in...thinking more 9in but dana is cheaper...but how cool would it be to have a tad steeper gears with a spool for the track and some nice shallow gears set up in a posi unit for the street so if i ever end up going 400 overdrive wont be missed as much!!

opinions?

Thanks to all the replies...kinda went the direction i thought...i have currently priced both a dana 60 and a 9 in...thinking more 9in but dana is cheaper...but how cool would it be to have a tad steeper gears with a spool for the track and some nice shallow gears set up in a posi unit for the street so if i ever end up going 400 overdrive wont be missed as much!!

opinions?
I've never heard of anyone ever having better results than with a 3.42

Jack Cotton's car is and has been running an 8.5 in the mid and now low 8 sec range....i mean how fast are you really gonna go? there's plenty of fast cars still running the 8.5...

Jack Cotton's car is and has been running an 8.5 in the mid and now low 8 sec range....i mean how fast are you really gonna go? there's plenty of fast cars still running the 8.5...

ok well then what parts are needed to make one live at this level...seems like the only way to get a axle spline count worth a **** is to go with a spool...this car sees a lot of street time...

I have a spool in mine and the only time I notice it is when I'm backing out of the drive way (with the wheels cranked) or into a parking spot. I have 245 40 17 front tires and power steering. If you have skinnies and no power steering that will be a different story. Also if you want the car to handle like a corvette a spool might be a problem but I not sure, My car has never handled good.

I know I went with a 30 spline eaton with moser axles...t/a cover and studs for the caps....I think someone makes a 33 spline posi n moser and strange make axles.....prolly wanna do a forged pinion yoke too....

spool it. cottons has a nice package that comes with everything you need. I think that is my plan as of now

A Dana 60 is one heavy piece of equipment. Leave that for the MOPAR & 4x4 guys.

~JM~

i use the stock rear with upgraded mosers,1.52 60fts,10 second street car at 3800 lbs.