Rear End Upgrade

Boost231

What's An Intercooler
Staff member
well guys im looking into upgrading my rear end due to snapping and axle. anyways what should i do? the cars a mid 11sec car right now and it should be a low 11 sec car once i get it tuned.my 60's are in the 1.60 area. The car might have a 10.99 in it but im not sure of future mods. anyways i was thinking of c clip elimenators but not sure due to leaking issues. i can get a 30spline Auburn Pro series posi unit and 30 spline moser axles for cheap. What should i do. im going to talk to Nick M. about this since he will be doing the upgrade but just wondering. also how much for the wilwood rear disk upgrade? might be a nice thing to do.

brent

I ran my 8.5 into the 9's.
The build was:
Moser axles w/c-clip elims. [Would do Strange the next time.]
Fresh brgs.
Fresh MOTIVE street gear. 3.42.
Detroit locker.
Used a t-400 and a brake at about 850FWHP, and about the same tq.... No problems w/ over 200 runs on it.
3710#.
10.5/28 MT slicks.

Put a toyota 8in in it! J/K:D I go with the best you can afford so later on when you put an intercooler on it and go 9's you won't have to worry;)

-Nice meeting you btw!

Scott Wile

Put a toyota 8in in it! J/K:D I go with the best you can afford so later on when you put an intercooler on it and go 9's you won't have to worry;)

-Nice meeting you btw!

Scott Wile

haha funny guy intercooler whats an intercooler? anyways nice meeting you as well.

ok i need to bump this up. im still lost on what to do. this car might one day run a 10.999. this rearend will need to hold up to low 11's all the time and Tbrake Launches. i can get a 30 spline auburn pro seires for free all i would have to do is buy axles. should i do this or should i just buy aftermarket 28 spline axles and call it good. im also going to get a Ta Alum Diff Cover

since you asked

go with the 30 spline axles, as bigger is better,
Jeff just broke his 30 spline axle, (* but its a 9 sec car)
aftermarket 28 spline is good, but 30 is better,
check Moser site, it can give you some info on size etc,

cruzn57

Moser 12 bolt housing with 33 spline axles. Upper control arm mounting relocation is already built into it.

ok i need to bump this up. im still lost on what to do. this car might one day run a 10.999. this rearend will need to hold up to low 11's all the time and Tbrake Launches. i can get a 30 spline auburn pro seires for free all i would have to do is buy axles. should i do this or should i just buy aftermarket 28 spline axles and call it good. im also going to get a Ta Alum Diff Cover

sounds like our cars will have twin rear axles, yours probably going to get more punishment though.

buickbert

sounds like our cars will have twin rear axles, yours probably going to get more punishment though.

buickbert

it probley will. today the guy i gave my old rearend to took it apart i will take a picture of the cunk of axle that was left in it.

any update on the rear? did you decide what to do?

buickbert

i have decided but i wont be doing the work till around feb. auburn pro series 30 spline and moser 30 spline axles with a Ta rear Cover and Welded Axel Tubes.

You gave the rearend to? shoot i woulda paid for a broke 8.5 10 bolt,,, come on guys try to help me out with a cheap 8.5 for my roundy round racecar

You gave the rearend to? shoot i woulda paid for a broke 8.5 10 bolt,,, come on guys try to help me out with a cheap 8.5 for my roundy round racecar

the rearend that i broke was a 7.5 not an 8.5

oh okay,, go find you a 8.5 out of a old chevelle or a 12 bolt out of a old chevelle they are a little wider and you will have to fab up shock mounts an spring perch but it will bolt in on stock bushings,,, southside makes control arms to do this and it's cheap if you have junkyards you can go to,,, trust me i have a 8.2 in my 80 malibu right now and it's out of a 64 chevelle

oh okay,, go find you a 8.5 out of a old chevelle or a 12 bolt out of a old chevelle they are a little wider and you will have to fab up shock mounts an spring perch but it will bolt in on stock bushings,,, southside makes control arms to do this and it's cheap if you have junkyards you can go to,,, trust me i have a 8.2 in my 80 malibu right now and it's out of a 64 chevelle

already have a new 8.5 in the car from nick micale. changed it out at the track. only reason its coming out is it looks like ass and i cant stand it so since its coming out im going to build it up alittle

I know its an old post. But how did your rear end upgrades turn out? What did u go with and how did it hold up? Im currently researching to build my rear end. Looking for advice/recommendations in what to go with.