Rear end upgrade

What rear end gear did you end up going with? My stock 3.42 held up very well into the low 9's with a footbrake. Dont know how well it will hold up if you are going to run a trans brake. The Drive Shaft Shop is local to me ( 1 hr ) up the road they did my first aluminum driveshaft on my street car a few years ago, I can't tear it up! They are exclusive at doing Underground Racing's twin turbo Lambo driveshafts, which is right by my office!

Lot of experts here.C-clips eliminators are nice but will leak if they are driven on the street a lot from excessive side load .Stock stuff will work fine ( except the clutches you cant find ) down to 1.55 60 foot.lower than that you should upgrade your axles.normally they will start twisting before they break.Also it is my opinion GM oem gears are the best you can buy.I ran this set of oem gears out of an 85 for 10 solid years down to 1.31 60 foots until I didnt last year at BG.I am putting GM gears back in even though I have a new set of Motive Gears..Basically I would weigh my decision purly on your 60 foot times and how often you Race VS street.Not on your build
Picture 1453.jpg

I took my rear apart this winter and found out I've been trans brake launching a stock gm gear since 03'
I'm putting it back in.

C clip eliminators are a must.

After my trip to rpm transmission this week, I decided to send my gears up to them to have them micropolished.

I had sold my original 3.42's dirt cheap because I thought that I would never need them only to turn around 12 years later and buy some stock ones again. GM really had that gear set figured out with the 109 motor.

I had sold my original 3.42's dirt cheap because I thought that I would never need them only to turn around 12 years later and buy some stock ones again. GM really had that gear set figured out with the 109 motor.
Their earlier gears were garbage. I ate 7 rear ends out of my 62 409 car before I switched to a 9". I'm very glad to hear that the GM gears we have are that strong. Without all your guys testimonies...I woulda swapped them out. It's hard to find a nice set these days.

My 8.5 had the tubes welded and big Ford ends put on. I think they were Torino ends (3.250) with a rear end girdle. I have tabs welded on the rear end that were for braces and they never fit correctly. I sent them back and they were supposedly lost in the mail. So I have the provisions to put on braces. The system was originally designed to fit a Mustang.

A good chassis shop can weld braces on an 8.5. They tie the lca mounts together and do lattice bars to the tubes.

Mine is in shop now getting ford ends, some bracing, spherical bushings, new 33 spline axles and powder coat.

Well guy's here is what I'm going to do. I will be keeping the OEM 3.42 gears and everything that you have seen in the last list I will be added to the rear end. The car will be a street/strip car, that will see the track about 4 to 8 times a year.

The axles on the list are for c clips.
You'll have to order alloy axles for c clip eliminators.

The axles on the list are for c clips.
You'll have to order alloy axles for c clip eliminators.

I talked witht the tech at Moser and Summit they both told me that I had the right axles to go with the eliminators. So, if I'm missing something or they are wrong and you know the part number please let me know.

Last edited:
if you had ordered 30 alloy axles (race axles ) without c clip button what you would need is the large 9000 bearing eliminators because they are 1.533" diameter
the street axles that have the clip button are for stock application to be used with the stock outer bearing (1.400") but can also be used for eliminator application if you use the 9200 eliminator and cut the buttons off the end of axle.
the eliminators and wheel studs need to be pressed on but you could have arranged for moser to install them before shipping .
you will also need to press the bearings on the posi unless you arranged for install before ship

Last edited: