Rear frame X member?

1 more ??
Will a 1" sq bar, placed on the under side of the frame rails, [about 1" forward of the end flanges], clear the gas tank fill neck??
I'm considering welding 1 across, and adding a couple gussets to help w/ stress on the welds.

The brace I remember seeing was about like the trailer hitch Chuck. Bolted on where the bumpers mounted but I think it was about 2" below so it cleared the filler neck.

Would a custom X-brace be a good idea for the serious road racer? Bolt in, with plates - to facilitate gas tank access, of course.

The rear cross member can crack under stress if you don't have everything braced properly. The rear rails flex horribly but the front is much stiffer. If you had a bare frame and tried to pick up on one side you'll find that the side you pick up will go up about 1 foot before the other side starts to move.:( This has to do with both the center and the rear of the frame. It was designed for a comfortable ride and not for strength unfortunately. Just a simple tube welded between the rear spring perches and welded to the rear cross member will stiffen the heck out of it. This is what I did to mine.;) Pardon the crappy welding but the liner on the MIG needed replacing and the welds are strong, even if they look like crap.:oops:
View attachment 195633

I like this support idea you've done - I plan on adding this when the time comes
Did you put any reinforcements along the sides of the frame to box in the C-channel?
Got any pics of that by chance?
Thanks!

I like this support idea you've done - I plan on adding this when the time comes
Did you put any reinforcements along the sides of the frame to box in the C-channel?
Got any pics of that by chance?
Thanks!

Not sure what you're calling the "c" channel but the entire frame has been rewelded on all the seams and the center is now boxed. If you want to get some ideas go to the B4black section and do a search for finally got some time. I haven't posted any info in it for a while since there are a few mods that won't be posted on the board. I don't want everyone to know all of what's been done after all.;) I even modified the front cross member to drop it down and get rid of the crash zones, which makes the frame stiffer in the front.:D

Not sure what you're calling the "c" channel but the entire frame has been rewelded on all the seams and the center is now boxed. If you want to get some ideas go to the B4black section and do a search for finally got some time. I haven't posted any info in it for a while since there are a few mods that won't be posted on the board. I don't want everyone to know all of what's been done after all.;) I even modified the front cross member to drop it down and get rid of the crash zones, which makes the frame stiffer in the front.:D

Yes, this is what I was talking about
I will check out B4black

Anyone have a pic of the trailer hitch, or even better a modded one bolted up with the bumper on?

Anyone have a pic of the trailer hitch, or even better a modded one bolted up with the bumper on?

I totally forgot, my 86 rescue project car has a tow bar on it, looks like the one in the post, I welded tubes across the back of the TSO car, they are bracing and a tie in to my dual battery mount. I can find pics of that and send to you Chuck.

Just this morning, I happened to watch an episode of "all girls garage" from last year...they were working on a jeep wrangler and they put in a pre-fab rear cross member brace...theirs was round. I couldn't find that specific one on the interwebs, but I did find a square one at several jeep sites. (and several stock bumper box in kits that are not applicable to us) My point is, seems like a pre-fab bolt-in kit for our cars would be easy enough to make.

Marcus at SC&C said he used to offer one but the frames on gbody's are so out of whack that he had to custom cut each one to size, it wasn't worth it.

Just this morning, I happened to watch an episode of "all girls garage" from last year...they were working on a jeep wrangler and they put in a pre-fab rear cross member brace...theirs was round. I couldn't find that specific one on the interwebs, but I did find a square one at several jeep sites. (and several stock bumper box in kits that are not applicable to us) My point is, seems like a pre-fab bolt-in kit for our cars would be easy enough to make.
Lol, i cant watch that show and take it serious

TTT

Mo ichi do...1 more time in Japanese.:D

Will a 1" sq bar, placed on the under side of the frame rails, [about 1" forward of the end flanges], clear the gas tank fill neck??
I'm considering welding 1 across, and adding a couple gussets to help w/ stress on the welds.

Can someone lay a strait edge across the bottom of the frame, and let me know if there's clearance at the fill neck??
My frame in not under the car, and I need to get this done....
Thanks!

It won't clear the trunk pan. Like I've said, the real problem is the rear crossmember. I was thinking, maybe instead of leaving those whimpy stamped gussets in on the crossmember, why not cut those out and weld in heavy angle iron instead? Should double the strength in that area and you know for sure that it isn't going to interfere with anything

It won't clear the trunk pan. Like I've said, the real problem is the rear crossmember. I was thinking, maybe instead of leaving those whimpy stamped gussets in on the crossmember, why not cut those out and weld in heavy angle iron instead? Should double the strength in that area and you know for sure that it isn't going to interfere with anything

I've taken care of the rear x member w/ Charlie's mod, and an additional bar and a "K" type set of struts. The bar is welded at the rear of the coil pad, near where the upper shock mt is. The"K" is formed w/ 2 additional bars going forward to Charlie's mod. This, in effect, moves the coil mt tie in back some 10"".
Won't clear the trunk pan?? The trunk pan is above the tank. A 1" bar, under the rear 0f the frame, [1" in ft of the bumper cushion mtg ears, and it won't clear the trunk??] Guess I don't understand...............We're not on the same page, here.:confused:

What I've thought about adding is an "X" that goes from the shock mounts to the front to help support the back better, but I like the idea of using something that bolts on where the bumper mounts are like the trailer hitch. I've got some 1" square tubing that's heavy enough and use 1/4" plate to mount it. I know I've seen someone do this before to help on the very back of the frame.