Rear Seat removal.

1987Vader

Fade to Black!
I know it is supposed to be real easy. I know (thanks FuzzyGN!) that the way the back seat is connected is by a bar in a "U" type latch and I can see it. I am told that all you have to do is push down lightly on the seat and then push back at the same time to release the rear seat. Well...I CAN'T DO IT! I am shoving as hard as I can and am afraid to shove it any harder. The $#^& seat won't come out! What am I doing wrong? Why couldn't Buick just used a couple bolts?!?!? I guess I make everything too hard. Any help would be fantastic. Thanks.

The bottom is held in by the spring that goes into the slot. That's it. It can be a pain to get out sometimes though. If you have a 2 foot pry bar and a big hammer you can put the pry bar up to one side of the spring and hit it from the front. This may dislodge it. I've had to do this before myself to get back seats out in cars.

Try this push down on seat that you put your butt on there should be a little play up and down so then push seat bottom toward trunk evenly (only about 1 inch) then lift up on front of seat bottom thats it good luck

Just put your butt on the seat end....then using your feet, push backwards against the driver's seat while using your hands to lift the seat. Then do the passenger side. Not too hard. Do I get to have the change you find under the cushion so I can continue to buy Grand National parts?:rolleyes::tongue:

Bruce '87 Grand National

You got it Bruce!

Well, I'm glad to have helped. Good feeling. Always thought my ass would be good for something.:rolleyes: I use this method all of the time in the junkyard to look under seat cushions. Man, you wouldn't believe the change I find under them. And guitar picks. Last week, found a $5 roll of dimes. Whooooweee!:eek: Added to my Grand National needy parts fund. Any change under yours?

Bruce '87 Grand National

All I got was one penny and a shred of a wrapper. The rest was clean. I found an even better way for removing these seats! It involves a 7/16 wrench and a rubber mallet. Lock the wrench into the metal spring post with one hit...and Whollla! Hey Bruce...sorry man, I am gonna keep the penny! You want the shred of wrapper?;)

All I got was one penny and a shred of a wrapper. The rest was clean. I found an even better way for removing these seats! It involves a 7/16 wrench and a rubber mallet. Lock the wrench into the metal spring post with one hit...and Whollla! Hey Bruce...sorry man, I am gonna keep the penny! You want the shred of wrapper?;)

The wrench and rubber mallet idea is good. I'll try it tomorrow.

Damn! Keeping the penny! How am I going to buy GN parts with a shred of wrapper? Ah, well, thanks for your offer. If I had some old chewing gum stuck to my shoe I could use that wrapper, but it's just dog poop stuck to my shoe as of now. Damn neighbor's dog.:mad:

Check to see if the penny is a 1909 SVDB. Then I'll give you a nickel for it! Nice profit for you, buddy. How bout it?:D

Even better....check to see if it's dated 87 BC.:rolleyes:

Bruce '87 Grand National

Make sure before they go back in to lube the parts up. Probably just a little seized on right now.