rjc 9 second recipe help

well if fixing broke sh^t is what you want ..you picked the right car
just hope your pockets can bear it ..it isnt called a GRAND national for nothing ..for some thats the average cost per day of fun and some days after an outing you wish it was only a grand to get it back together

I like that. It does feel like a grand here, a grand there, a grand everywhere just to keep it going right.

And once it's running right and sorted out, these cars really require very little work.

Good grief. The way y'all make this car sound, almost seems not worth the trouble...... almost

8 years later and I'm still buying sh*t... A grand here a grand there... Everywhere a grand.

Built a stroker motor blew the trans I paid $1500 for (vender on this site won't state names) but couldn't keep the car straight, redid my suspension but couldn't stop the damn thing... Got new brakes/rear and now I want more boost. Added alky kit but now I want a new billet turbo. I'm sure a lot of us have similar stories and you will too.

Smartest thing I've done was buying top notch parts and I don't let anybody touch the car but the 1 person...

8 years later and I'm still buying sh*t... A grand here a grand there... Everywhere a grand.

Built a stroker motor blew the trans I paid $1500 for (vender on this site won't state names) but couldn't keep the car straight, redid my suspension but couldn't stop the damn thing... Got new brakes/rear and now I want more boost. Added alky kit but now I want a new billet turbo. I'm sure a lot of us have similar stories and you will too.

Smartest thing I've done was buying top notch parts and I don't let anybody touch the car but the 1 person...
So it's more like upgrading is where you spend the most money. I've expected that. I thought y'all were talkin maintenance and breakage. My initial plans are to start from the back and work my way to the front. I started this thread just to get information about a company that got into the 9s. I know it takes More then just a motor to go fast.

It didn't say do not use a 4.1. It was just stated that if you have a good 3.8 then to just use that. Sorry if I made it sound out to be like, no do not use it at all. Idk if I can put the forum name out. It's another tr forum.
Depends if you are wanting to save a number matching block for your car. Lots of them end up with a window as a result of the learning curve.
Cubes make power, but so does boost. Your call it can be done either way.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Depends if you are wanting to save a number matching block for your car. Lots of them end up with a window as a result of the learning curve.
Cubes make power, but so does boost. Your call it can be done either way.

Yeah which is something I was taking into consideration if I had to sell the car. Buy a 4.1 build it on an engine stand then swap then motors out or just build the 3.8. Options seem to be endless with this car. I found a company that sells rebuilt 4.1s. I messaged a staff member to see if I could post about the company (is not a vendor here) but got no response so I didn't post about it.

That is what my plan is and if the economy ever improves so I can make some money ill be all over my 4.1. Careful what you get as the 4.1 has the rotating assembly of the turbo with the rolled fillet journals on the crank and the 2 dot rods. No telling what a rebuilder puts back in on an overhaul.
Blueprinting engines is an art as well as a science. Every builder has their own tricks and the way they always do it.
Read up plenty of info here and around the net.
http://product.half.ebay.com/_W0QQprZ213246
http://product.half.ebay.com/_W0QQprZ102919417
Neither Buick specific but good info on how to do the special things.

I'm going through the rjc recipes. I'mm going to be building a street car that out performs most cars but will be taken to the track some Fridays. My question is about their recipe is with the engine. Specifically the internals. It states that the rods are stock with arp bolts stock crank with, and here is were I'm confused ".01 rods .02 mains" can someone explain to me what this means. I'm new to engine building, although I do inderstand boring or stroking im just not getting what they mean. And also they have +.030 trw pistons. Is that bored 3 thousandth over stock. Dont burn me too bad, still learning here. Thanks

What you have asked for is a loaded question. You need to be more specific. Asking for a 9 sec recipe can send you on a goose chase. There is a 1001 ways to achieve this. If your truly interested in building one, start off with explaining what you have, and what can be done to what you have to get you what you want. State your budget your willing to spend to see if 9's is even possible with what your willing to fork out. Have you been in a 9 sec Buick before? the reason I'm asking that is not to insult you, but, I have seen that a lot of people attach numbers and hp figures to their goals when they have not been in a 9 sec Turbo Buick. I remember taking a guy out in my car when it was running mid tens. He was saying to me he wanted a 9sec GN. He comes out of the car saying how fast it was and that's exactly what he wanted. It exceeded his expectations. I told him it was a mid 10sec car and his jaw dropped.
Don't jump in full tilt looking for 9's if the complete understanding of these cars are not 100% clear (again, not a jab, cause I don't know what your understanding is). It can suck out a lot of money out of your pocket and be one of the worst experiences you have ever encountered. Having all the right parts is one thing, putting it together correctly is another thing, tuning it is again another BIG step, and hooking it............. well, you see where I'm going with this. Just be sure your clear on what your getting into. Having a fast car is awesome, having a red headed step child for a car with issues is heart wrenching. Good luck on your quest.

What you have asked for is a loaded question. You need to be more specific. Asking for a 9 sec recipe can send you on a goose chase. There is a 1001 ways to achieve this. If your truly interested in building one, start off with explaining what you have, and what can be done to what you have to get you what you want. State your budget your willing to spend to see if 9's is even possible with what your willing to fork out. Have you been in a 9 sec Buick before? the reason I'm asking that is not to insult you, but, I have seen that a lot of people attach numbers and hp figures to their goals when they have not been in a 9 sec Turbo Buick. I remember taking a guy out in my car when it was running mid tens. He was saying to me he wanted a 9sec GN. He comes out of the car saying how fast it was and that's exactly what he wanted. It exceeded his expectations. I told him it was a mid 10sec car and his jaw dropped.
Don't jump in full tilt looking for 9's if the complete understanding of these cars are not 100% clear (again, not a jab, cause I don't know what your understanding is). It can suck out a lot of money out of your pocket and be one of the worst experiences you have ever encountered. Having all the right parts is one thing, putting it together correctly is another thing, tuning it is again another BIG step, and hooking it............. well, you see where I'm going with this. Just be sure your clear on what your getting into. Having a fast car is awesome, having a red headed step child for a car with issues is heart wrenching. Good luck on your quest.
I'm just trying to gather all the information I can before I go elbows deep into this car. Over time I've learned to do as much research as possible and always ask questions before venturing off into these projects. As far as what I have, I don't have any Buick as of now. Which is why I'm doing a lot of research. I don't want to go at this blind. Unfortunately no, I've never been in a 9 second Buick. My long term goal, is to have a fast reliable street car. I don't expect to cut costs. I do not like going the budget way. Although it seems people have success with it, it's just not the way I like to do things. I'm also not looking to build this car over night. This is a long term project for me. I'm talking like 5-8 year project. All in all everyone here has given me great advice and I appreciate it all.

All i can say is that i started off my Buick T venture about 4-5 years ago and its been alot of fun. It started out bone stock and within a year i had it running 11.30 at 119mph. i spent endless hours reading on this site and dealing with great people and i loved it. I learned how to tune and what these engines like and don't like. The stock engine is on a stand and a built up engine is now in it. It runs nice. Pulled a run with my brothers 10.20 @131 Chevelle and we were just about side by side. Still running 23 psi and a safe tune. All i can say is if you have a bit of cash to spend then go for it. If your counting pennies, your going to run out of them real fast. Get the engine and tranny built by a reputable builder and get a tune from Hartline this way you'll have a hell of a head start on things. I've had lots of cars from 69 Camaro's and Chevelles, several Mustangs, all were street cars running from 400 Hp to over 1000 Horsepower and for some reason I enjoy my Buick the most. Lastly, TUNE TUNE TUNE.......................... Start low and sloooooowly crank things up. If you go about this the right way, it should be alot of fun.

These guys are nuts ..... Expensive to go fast ..YES.. that's not new. Do you need all the latest greatest witch piss to go fast ? fukc NO ! I have personally watched ( and driven) cars with the latest greatest offshore parts fly to pieces just as easy as stock parts. Now you want to go 8's on stock stuff no.. you want to go 10's NO PROBLEM ! that's been happening since 1989. I have been 10.50's on 100% stock longblock. manifold to oil pan. Many many passes.
My advice stop reading about turning cranks and piston rings. Start reading about tuning. tune tune tune and you can can run circles around Billet this, stroker that, blah blah bank account. Just plan it out, take your time. Be realistic.

SloGN is doing it on pump gas and alky. I like the ole saying....."Cubic Dollars" I thought I would quit spending a couple years ago. I just can't seem to stop........somebody help me!!!!!!

well there is only three ways to go fast..............

Cubic inches........Cubic money...........Cubic Inches++Cubic money...................

Or as Grumpy would say..."Cheap, Fast or Reliable"....pick any 2!!!

I'm just trying to gather all the information I can before I go elbows deep into this car. Over time I've learned to do as much research as possible and always ask questions before venturing off into these projects. As far as what I have, I don't have any Buick as of now. Which is why I'm doing a lot of research. I don't want to go at this blind. Unfortunately no, I've never been in a 9 second Buick. My long term goal, is to have a fast reliable street car. I don't expect to cut costs. I do not like going the budget way. Although it seems people have success with it, it's just not the way I like to do things. I'm also not looking to build this car over night. This is a long term project for me. I'm talking like 5-8 year project. All in all everyone here has given me great advice and I appreciate it all.

You are in a very unique position. If you don't have a Buick yet, buy a 9sec GN for a quarter of the price that you can build one for, that has already been tuned etc. You will be lite years ahead with LOTS of coin to spare and less headaches. There is a certain level of pride building one,"IF" the understanding is there and money is not a concern, but who are we fooling........... Money is always a concern, nobody likes losing or wasting it.
The best feeling in the world is driving one that is built and tuned correctly. No better feeling then that, PERIOD!! With the money you save on buying a already done piece, use it to personalize the car to YOUR likens (ie: different paint job, rims and rubber, suspension, sound system, interior changes, etc)