running rich

dvernst

I was wondering if someone could help me out. MY car is running rich off idle and blows out black smoke when I touch the gas. I've tried different injectors, different gas, up and down with fuel pressure, different chips(with Red Armstrongs help) Checked all sensors, And everything every person has ever suggested. No matter what the car still runs rich. Any other ideas could help me out a lot. Thank you.

Fought this problem for over a year. Turned out to be a loose plenum bolt. Tighten them down and see if that helps. The "cure" for mine was the previous owner stripped the bolt and I simply put a longer one in a it helped drastically. What are your blm's?

HTH

dvernst said:
I was wondering if someone could help me out. MY car is running rich off idle and blows out black smoke when I touch the gas. I've tried different injectors, different gas, up and down with fuel pressure, different chips(with Red Armstrongs help) Checked all sensors, And everything every person has ever suggested. No matter what the car still runs rich. Any other ideas could help me out a lot. Thank you.

Some data from a scan tool would be very helpful in understanding what might be happening inside your engine....Otherwise its a guessing game.

A scan tool will help you know whether your oxygen sensor is stuck or not, whether you have a vacuum leak or not, and a large number of other potential possibilities. :)

EFI cars cannot be fixed without scantools..

Step 1

Changing parts adds issues.. always does.. parts should not be changed unless there is DATA to substantiate change.

Bad MAF is my guess.. but without a scantool.. tough call.

Quiky One said:
Fought this problem for over a year. Turned out to be a loose plenum bolt. Tighten them down and see if that helps. The "cure" for mine was the previous owner stripped the bolt and I simply put a longer one in a it helped drastically. What are your blm's?

HTH
I did have the plenum off since i,ve been having the problem the gasket was good, and the bolts were all good. my block learn number at idle is around 90 to 100. I experimented with taking the screens out of the maf, and i can get my block learn to be all the way to 150 with both screens out, and a red armstrong chip. even when my block learn is that high when i touch the gas i still get a puff of black smoke, and a little bog. I am running a scanmaster 2. I also have direct scan, but don,t have it working yet

Razor said:
EFI cars cannot be fixed without scantools..

Step 1

Changing parts adds issues.. always does.. parts should not be changed unless there is DATA to substantiate change.

Bad MAF is my guess.. but without a scantool.. tough call.
All of my readings seem to be o.k. including the maf reading. I just changed the injectors to try them out. I have a few different sets, but after i still had the problem i switched back to the ones that were in there

Russ Merritt said:
Any # over 128 and it's ADDING fuel to an already rich program. Put the screens back in, both.
I actually just have one screen in my chip is set up for one

What's the # on the injectors?

Maybe have an incorrect size chip in it?

Put both screens back in for now, it should only help. Is it by chance a remaned MAF?

Are the BLMs still 150 with the 1 screen in?

It's suckin air from somewhere causing the 02 to read lean, hence the computer throwing so much fuel to it.

Or wrong size chip program, bad 02 sensor, MAF, ect,ect...

Should throw a code I would think....

Russ Merritt said:
What's the # on the injectors?

Maybe have an incorrect size chip in it?

Put both screens back in for now, it should only help. Is it by chance a remaned MAF?
no it is the original factory maf. If I put the screen in it makes the car run even richer. I have four different chips for my injectors 009s. I have the same problem with all of them. Red armstrong made me a chip to lean out the fuel curve down low a little bit. It helped a lot but it's only a band aid

Russ Merritt said:
Are the BLMs still 150 with the 1 screen in?

It's suckin air from somewhere causing the 02 to read lean, hence the computer throwing so much fuel to it.

Or wrong size chip program, bad 02 sensor, MAF, ect,ect...

Should throw a code I would think....
I have changed the o2 sensor and the maf a local grand national shop was working with me to try to solve the problem. He let me try some different parts like the maf. with the 2nd chip red made for me and running one screen the blm is right around 128. The car still blows out black smoke and hesitates a little off idle

dvernst said:
I have changed the o2 sensor and the maf a local grand national shop was working with me to try to solve the problem. He let me try some different parts like the maf. with the 2nd chip red made for me and running one screen the blm is right around 128. The car still blows out black smoke and hesitates a little off idle
I also eliminated the whole turbo and intercooler out of the intake by running the maf right to the throttle body instead of the turbo intake, but it didn't help either

Russ Merritt said:
You need to e-mail Eric Marshall and get the Turbo Tweak 009 program chip. It is a far superior program.
does he have a web site, Or do you have his e-mail address? Thank you for your help

Razor said:
Post your scanmaster numbers at idle.

Start here..
O.k. I will when I get a chance I have not run the car that much this winter. Thank you hopefully it will be later today

Razor said:
Post your scanmaster numbers at idle.

Start here..
o.k. here they are
o2 269-601
af 05
l8 33
int 119-138
bl 100-104
tps .44
iac 21
cc 0-230
I have a few different chips. With my Casper chip the car is extremely rich off idle with a blm at 90. These reading are with a Red Armstrong chip, and I also have a chip he made for me with a leaner acceleration curve down low. One thing i,m worried about is if I run a chip that gets the car to run right by changing things isn,t that just covering up a problem with the car. Thank you

Those #s don't look bad. The BLMs are low but not pegged meaning they are still able to hit the commanded air/fuel ratio in the chip. With a nonadjustable chip, the only thing I would be concerned with is WOT air/fuel ratio which is controlled by fuel pressure. Usually the WOT BLM cell is locked at 128 so fuel pressure adjustments will have an effect. If it wasn't locked, say you wanted more fuel WOT, you would raise the fuel pressure but the chip would see that and lower all the BLMs to compensate even the WOT cell. If you had direct scan you would see all the cells and the WOT cell is actually on and if wasn't programmed locked, LEARNING at half throttle. Not what we want.

Listen, people get BLM crazy and try to control them as best they can with screen removal, differant 02s, ect,ect. BLMs are there to compensate (for all kinds of driving conditions in reality) for fuel pressure adjustment so you can dial in the WOT air/fuel ratio and still be in the BLM adjustment range of the target air/fuel ratio in the chip, usually 90/160. With the Turbotweak chips, the WOT cell is user adjustable. Meaning the 128 WOT cell YOU move up or down (richen or lean +/- 10%) for WOT fuel control to what your car wants/needs. So you can adjust the fuel pressure to give you the best BLM #s drivability wise, (+/- 10 from 128 in most learning cells is really good) THEN be able to control the injector pw @ WOT to get the engine tuned where you want it.

Turbotweaks 009 chip is the best I ever tried for those injectors. You need to get in touch with him, get him your entire combo and try one.