SBC Turbo regal 1st track outing

Dusty Bradford

Hey guys. No pics but I do have some info. I told Dad to get plenty of pics today at the track, he used the regular camera :p Oh well, I'll get some next time.

I didn't expect much today for the 1st trips down the track although the lowest I can get my wastegate set is 17psi :eek: That's alot for a 98mm but it was all good.

1st pass off the trailer I plugged in the 3100 rpm chip for the 2 step so I left with 0 boost. It went a 2.01 60' with a 6.97 to the 1/8 at 120.55mph. This was at 17psi coming in around 200 feet or so.

For the second pass I put the 3400 chip in the 2 step, left at 5# boost.
60' 1.57 1/8 6.06 123.25 mph.

For some reason I can not review my data log. It's like the info is corrupted or loosing connection on the launch which is not violent. When I return to the pits I cut the switch of yet the computer still shows online when the log is on screen. I have the trigger set at 90 on the TPS and can see when it starts yet the rpm stays around 3000 grand with the map(psia) at 0. Nothing looks right about it. I'll load it on the computer and maybe send them to Cal for review and hints.

3rd and 4th passes were 6.12 at 122+ with low 1.6 60's. Since I could not review any of the runs I pulled 15% out of the timing and richened the map 10% to be safe so it was sluggish out of the hole. After we figure out what's wrong with the data log I'll go after those 5 second slips.

I'm extremely happy for the first day with such a conservative tune-up and running blind. If it wasn't for my confidence in Cal's tune I never would have made a pass.

Congrats on the good shakedown runs and keeping everything in 1 peice.Id say running those times on your 1st outing is a sign of good things to come :cool:

Dusty,

Congratulations on your passes and successful first outing.
I know how hard you have worked on this car and how much of the work
that you have done yourself. Considering the 87 Octane Tune Up you should be really excited. I would think that easy mid 5s in the 1/8 next time out as long as the track is ok. Put that thing on kill and we will welcome you to the 7 second stock suspension 1/4 Mile club.

Let's get Cal, Petty, Precision, Wolfe and PTC to put you on their web pages this year.

Awesome!!!

Dusty, Congrats on your 1st track outing with the Beast! :) As John said, you have put a LOT of hard work into this car yourself so I'm sure that must make it feel really good to take it down the track and run some strong #'s :cool:

Good job dusty. That thing is going to fly based on what you have done with minimal boost and gas. Keep us updated. :) :cool:

John Wilde said:
Dusty,

Congratulations on your passes and successful first outing.
I know how hard you have worked on this car and how much of the work
that you have done yourself. Considering the 87 Octane Tune Up you should be really excited. I would think that easy mid 5s in the 1/8 next time out as long as the track is ok. Put that thing on kill and we will welcome you to the 7 second stock suspension 1/4 Mile club.

Let's get Cal, Petty, Precision, Wolfe and PTC to put you on their web pages this year.

I'm ready to turn it up now......

Yes Brick I was shocked. I really didn't expect anything faster than mid high 6's for the first day. I could tell the car was pulling but I've been out of the seat of a car for a while and thought it might have trapped in the 108-110 range. I almost ran off the return road when I saw the 120mph on the first pass. Then the 6.0 on the next pass I could have loaded it up and been fine for a while.

Dusty Bradford said:
I'm ready to turn it up now......

Yes Brick I was shocked. I really didn't expect anything faster than mid high 6's for the first day. I could tell the car was pulling but I've been out of the seat of a car for a while and thought it might have trapped in the 108-110 range. I almost ran off the return road when I saw the 120mph on the first pass. Then the 6.0 on the next pass I could have loaded it up and been fine for a while.

Just give me a 135MPH next time and I will be happy.
I think ultimately you will faster but I would like for you to ease into it

Dusty will run with the ORSCA EZ Street, the current records are

5.224 and 145.16 on Drag Radials so you know he has something up his sleeve.

Dusty, what track did you go to? Huntsville? I didn't think they were back open. I rode up to Steele and saw a few nice cars including a quick T type from Ga running 10.50's..

Thanks for letting me know you were heading to the track.. ;)

But most importantly, CONGRATS!! Sounds like she hauling the mail nicely for the first runs!!!

Oh yeah, LEAVE in that bitch and let's see some 1.30 or better 60's..
:D

Warren,

I did think about letting some guys know that wanted to see it run, you included. I was planning to go but I had to hurdle about 3 major obstacles to get it there. It never even moved on it's own until after 12 noon today so needless to say I figured my first day would be a disappointment. No need for me to waste your time as well as others driving to see me fumble with a car that might not get down the track. Boy was I mistaken and that's a good thing.

Yes it was at Huntsville. Today was the first time for them to open this year. They will open every Sunday afternoon as long as the temp is 50 or above.

I need to figure out why the car will not data log. Once I do that you can expect to see some much harder launches. I was really babying it today with low boost launches shifting at 6k. It's gonna roll when I get a handle on it and I'll make sure you get some video. I really want to watch it go down the track and since nobody but me will be driving it for a while I NEED video.

:cool: Nice times Dusty!!! Like you said though, you've been out of the seat for a while...so be careful and let's see a 7 second pass with that beast. Be safe! :)

1ARUNEM said:
Any updates Dusty? Anxiously waiting... Haha.... :)

A little birdie told me that Dusty went 5.8s and there is a lot left.
The only real changes were more RPM on the 2 step and the boost spiked a little higher due to a really cold day. I am sure that Dusty will chime in later.

I've been away all day. Thanks for the update John. I'm not as concerned about the ET as I am getting data. Hopefully Dusty's new data logger worked and he's got some info he can work with.

John Wilde said:
A little birdie told me that Dusty went 5.8s and there is a lot left.
The only real changes were more RPM on the 2 step and the boost spiked a little higher due to a really cold day. I am sure that Dusty will chime in later.

Nice! Thanks John :cool:

HighPSI said:
I've been away all day. Thanks for the update John. I'm not as concerned about the ET as I am getting data. Hopefully Dusty's new data logger worked and he's got some info he can work with.

Cal,

From what I heard it is getting data through the logger.
He is at dinner with his family so I am sure we will hear more later.
How is the boost controller coming along??? ;)