scan master and knock gauge

ecmo92

How come I get different readings with the two? Ill see red on the gauge but the sm will say 0. Which one do I believe?

This was one of my first posts questions. The knock gage picks it up a little faster. The knock gage shows knock and the scanmaster shows degrees retard that the ECM sends to the motor after it gets the knock signal.
Tarey D.

Sounds like something false that the gauge is registering. I'm not sure how the gauge is hooked up. But usually if the ECM isnt retarding any timing/boost, then its not actually detonating.

Either that, or the knock sensor isnt working properly. Again, I only have a scanmaster, so I'm unsure of the gauges. I wouldnt mind having one just for its instantanious feedback, rather then the 1.3 second delay of the SM. But I've heard a lot of stories about them registering knock so much, when there wasnt any on the scantool, etc.

Also, If the gauge were reading in the red zone, I would like to think you would HEAR it detonating. When my scanmaster shows anything over 3.0 degrees, I usually hear it. Makes me cringe every time. :mad:

Hi
You should try the Knock Detector I have for $55.00 shipped. It is brand new and complete.

How tight is your knock sensor in the block?

Email me for more info if interested

i have the same damn problem. the knock gauge will flash to RED and the scan master will show 1.5 or 0 degrees.

direct scan said i had 4 *'s of KR, im guessing that 4 *'s is in between the scan master frames, and it only catches the begining or end of it before it retards the timing.

but i understand that it should not be flashing red with only 4 degrees. these gauges are screwy.

Be open and try mine..........
1/10th sec accuracy.......
If it does not work for some reason, send it back, I'll refund your money.........less shipping
Got Pics Too...

I know I am "peddling"....I found something for me that works (build like GNTTYPE.ORG ___>elec. proj.)

I have an extra.
Jim