Setup Criticism

Valve job, new valves/springs. Engine is going to be cleaned, and painted. All new gaskets, and bearings. New piston rings, oil pump, and timing chain. The cylinders, and pistons are in really good condition. Only 65k miles on the motor.

IMOP what you have listed above is going to bust your 2,000 budget. why are you going to re-ring it? you going to do a flex hone on it so the new rings seat? whats the compression #'s on it right now?

Compression is fine in all but one cylinder. iirc its 120, and the bad one is 50-70. I do not have the papers with me. How will this blow my budget? The parts are only 300-400$.

$2K won't build your motor...

Possibilities... Break a ring? Cracked piston land? Valve issues? Headgasket?

Its a valve. The cylinders, and pistons are in good condition. The gasket is going to be replaced anyways :p.

reason i say its going to bust your budget because of the labor. whos doing the work? also if you say its a valve thats causing the lost compression why are you re-ringing it?

I am not ringing it. It was my original plan but I am going to the cheap. I decided I want to ride in luxury with new Lier Siegler covers :D. Here is exactly what I am doing now:
-Valve Job
-New Valve Springs from Kirban's (100lb)
-New gaskets for anything that I have to pull a part (Head, Valve Cover, turbo gaskets, intake etc etc.)
-Hot Wire Upgrade
-87 MAF
-Power Logger
-87 MAF and ECM with TT chip
All in all, 900$. But I think its well spent. When I have the money to go performance, I will. for now, I need to get her driving, and looking good for now :D.

Hey guys.Ive been following this thread and Ive picked up a lot of great info.Im wanting to freshen up my 85 so ive so far found out the TA-33 is a good fit but is there a better one thats still a direct bolt on replacement? Im going to go ahead and get a cam and springs.Any suggestions? im not wanting to get a 4000 stall converter or anything but the tranny is already been done and good well over 600 horse.Now that ive got some info on Alky Im definitely gettion a kit any suggestions? As fars as Intakes are there any for HA cars? Not really seeing any thing out there.Im not going to go crazy on this car.I never really drove this car and its been bone stock so a couple of years ago I was looking for NOS parts for the interior and ended up buying a GNX with only 385 miles.Now that I have that i want to do some changes to the 85 and go have some fun.I really love driving the GNX and that has me wanting to get the 85 out a lot this year.Gas mileage is not an issue.Ive built plenty of Small block chevy with Nitros,Dual quads,Gear drive ,roller motors then after 30 or so motors i built a money no object 454 .This is my fast car! But I must say these turbo cars are a blast and your tips on Turbo performance will help me get this car right the first time.If I really get the bug Ill most likely pull the motor and install an 87 setup or is that easy enought to do now??? I also want to get some headers..Suggestions

Attachments

• DSC_0313.jpg
    DSC_0313.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 167
Hey guys.Ive been following this thread and Ive picked up a lot of great info.Im wanting to freshen up my 85 so ive so far found out the TA-33 is a good fit but is there a better one thats still a direct bolt on replacement? The Ta-33 is the best bolt on turbo out right now. Im going to go ahead and get a cam and springs.Any suggestions? im not wanting to get a 4000 stall converter or anything but the tranny is whats wrong with the current cam? stock cam is good for 10's imop. if the cam is hurt a nice 206/206 will work well. you can get one from nick micale @ arizonagn.com or any other vendor. i like using nick for cams. already been done and good well over 600 horse.Now that ive got some info on Alky Im definitely gettion a kit any suggestions? IMOP the only kit to get is the one from http://alkycontrol.com/ "razor" As fars as Intakes are there any for HA cars? no there are not. however you can get yours ported by iwinenginering in michigan or have someone port yours. a stock ported intake will go 10's jamie (turbo6x2) and i run the same intake from iwinenginering.Not really seeing any thing out there.Im not going to go crazy on this car.I never really drove this car and its been bone stock so a couple of years ago I was looking for NOS parts for the interior and ended up buying a GNX with only 385 miles.Now that I have that i want to do some changes to the 85 and go have some fun.I really love driving the GNX and that has me wanting to get the 85 out a lot this year.Gas mileage is not an issue.Ive built plenty of Small block chevy with Nitros,Dual quads,Gear drive ,roller motors then after 30 or so motors i built a money no object 454 .This is my fast car! But I must say these turbo cars are a blast and your tips on Turbo performance will help me get this car right the first time.If I really get the bug Ill most likely pull the motor and install an 87 setup or is that easy enought to do now??? i hate to see that you posted this question. yes you can do it but IMOP why. if you want an 87 buy one. you can get these hotair cars to run pretty quick if you want them to. yes they take ALOT more money then the 87 to make fast but you can make them fast. anyways if u want to do the 87 motor deal do a search its been covered. I also want to get some headers..Suggestions there are no companies making headers for the hotair cars anymore. best thing to do is post in the hotair section or in the wanted section and ask to see if anyone has any. ATR, Poston, Lee Thompson made them. anyways best of luck and if you have any more question fell free to ask

Ok,i hope that helps. you have a nice ride by the way.

Nice cars! Wish mine looked half that good :p. You have them parked in the wrong spots!

Boost 231 Thanks for all the input.You are right about the 87.I dont really want to do it other than its just so easy to get parts and quick performance on that style setup.Ive decided to continue on with the 85 and get the alky kit.Ill keep an eye out for the headers.Those stock ones didnt look too impressive. Ill most likely go ahead with the new cam while im in there taking out the timing chain.I was planning on using the stock rockers or is the newer styles better or are they just for 86/87 only???:confused:

ZNix-Thats funny about the cars parking spots.I ve been meaning to switch them.it drives me crazy too...

Attachments

• DSC_0329.jpg
    DSC_0329.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 145
Boost231- I went to alkycontrol.com..Looks to be a great setup but not finding RAZOR ? :confused:

Thanks .I call him to discuss.Iv got the Intake and Valve covers at least cleaned and polished.Im hoping to have a local guy do the porting.No luck yet on headers but definately searching.

Attachments

• DSC_0169.jpg
    DSC_0169.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC_0173.jpg
    DSC_0173.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 133
I took them to a metal stripping place.They shoot them with glass beads.
They had them done the next day.Places like this also do powder coating alot of the times.I had them do the intake,valve covers and the turbo mounting bracket..Total price was $38.00...Then I took wet/dry sandpaper 350 grit first to rough the edges,Then 500 grit to remove the lines made from the 350 paper then 800 then NEVR DULL WaDDING POLISH THEN MOTHERS.yOU CAN GO UP TO 1500 OR 2000 GRIT IF YOU LIKE.i SPRAYED THE FINS FIRST WITH WD40 .THAT REALLY HELPED KEEP THE PAPER FROM GETTING CLOGGER UP.ONLY TOOK MAYBE 2 HOURS TOTAL.THE SAND PAPER WAS BOUGHT AT A LOCAL AUTO PARTS STORE THAT CARRIES PAINTING SUPPLIES.I PLAN ON DOING A LOT MORE POLISHING.

Just removed the alternator/a.c. aluminum brackets and many more parts ..Ill probably get them powder coated ?

I attached my before picture.I hope the after will be a better than factory look but with some serious power.

Does anyone know what i could have done to the header once I find them? I used to buy a ceramic coated headers.Is there something better to use?

Attachments

• DSC_0014.jpg
    DSC_0014.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC_0065.jpg
    DSC_0065.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 155
If you're near Ill I'd get in touch with rmar. He did a great job of my covers, turbo, and alternator bracket. Here's a pic of what he did.:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 128
Project hotair

More and more parts arriving..Dropped off heads yesterday to get cleaned up and new comp 980 springs.. still looking for headers...Any suggestions on crank sensor and cam sensor..?.....Boost has been giving me great advice just wanting to see what you some of you other guys think..I just figured ill change out these parts so they dont fail this summer. im hoping to get this one done and then start another one next year for the track..This is just to get a basic understanding on these turbo motors.This will be my 3rd year visiting BG and i cant wait to go see what hot air cars are there and what those guys have done..Hope to pick up a new:biggrin: TA33 when i get there.

Attachments

• DSC_0076.jpg
    DSC_0076.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC_0075.jpg
    DSC_0075.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 112