Should i buy a Stage II?

87gnNV

Ok Ive been in the GN seen for about 2 years now, looking at buying a stage II or I. I dont have that much knowledge on the stage II engines. I have owned a GN before (sold it ) now im just about ready to buy another one. Are they reliable, street worthy, and easy to work with (hard to tune?). Any input would be great! Thanks.

Being that i have owned a gn for over 10 years, the best advice i can give you is save up and buy a car that is already completed.
You will save a TON of money in most cases!

However it takes alot of common knowledge to maintain and get it running to its full potential.
Also take into consideration the cost of racing fuel (must run 117 octane) and in most cases to go this route you are buying a race only car.
There are a few out there that are stage 2 street cars but do not seem to be on the for sale block very often.

Hope this helps,

Good luck!

Originally posted by 87gnNV
Ok Ive been in the GN seen for about 2 years now, looking at buying a stage II or I. I dont have that much knowledge on the stage II engines. I have owned a GN before (sold it ) now im just about ready to buy another one. Are they reliable, street worthy, and easy to work with (hard to tune?). Any input would be great! Thanks.

I would, but thats me.:D I'm buying the TA block here in two weeks and just bought a LC2 block a week ago ( love both ). If you have transportation now and are going to make it a drag only I would just buy an 84-87 buick with a straight body and chassis and build from that, I personally think thats cheaper, easier, funner and you know your car 100%( that is if you don't care about #'s matching, etc.) I just bought an 85 buick for a 100 bucks w/ straight body an frame and vacuum brakes:D :D

I say go for it, yeah the stock block can do low 10's & high 9's but I say take it farther than that ;) I see you are from vegas so PM me if you need help, I have two more buddies that are building VERY SERIOUS BUICKS right now and we would be more than happy to help supply you with parts you may need that we don't, plus it would be fun to have another buick dominating the streets of vegas with us :D :D

Peace, Danny

Hi Danny. I am leaning in that direction (going stage II). But my main concern is, will it be streetable. No it will not be the only car I have but I will drive the GN most of the time, and there is no way i can drive it that much on 117. So does that mean i can not use 91 on low bost levels? I will want and will buy it all ready built, i think it will be the more economical way. Thanks.

It all depends on how you build the stage 2 engine. If you go with a roller cam instead of solid, then you won't have to adjust the lifters on a regular basis.
If you want an all out race setup with a very loose converter then you know what the street manors will be.
When I had my present engine (stage 2) built, I went with M&A stage 3 heads(could used Champions) for street use so that all the stock accessories (including air) and intake & exhaust headers would bolt right up. To look at my setup, you would never know that it is a stage engine. I am not trying to make globs of HP (est 650 hp)at this time but have all the right stuff inside the engine that can take the stress when I want to make more HP.
I wanted this to be a 100% streetable setup. I run 93 octane with low boost get no knock. I also have an alchy system for more boost when I want it. The trouble is trying to use this much power on the street. Of course when you want to get serious (at the track) then I suggest 116 octane.
I have driven the car to BG & Bristol running the air conditioner with no trouble. So yes, a stage motor is reliable like the stock motor but either one can be mistuned and have trouble. One last and main thing- be sure to have lots of money available because it isn't cheap.
Click HERE for some pictures of the car & engine.
Gary