SMC vs Jay Carter

which is better and why?

• SMC Rules!

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • Jay Carter all the way

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Screw them both, I have home made or other (please list other)

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters

blackbuick87

Which do you guys prefer?
They are close enough in price that it is not a factor to me.

I know the SMC works well but I dont care for the controller too much, it looks too goofy

I have not seen the Jay Carter controller.

I also know SMC is kind of backed up, dont know about JC.
Thanks

I have a JC kit that I enjoy. It works well, and it's simple, too. I've seen the SMC kit, and it seems like a good buy, too. It allows you to tune from inside the car, and you can adjust turn-on points and pump speed. Nice.
The SMC pump is mounted inside the tank. If it craps out, it's not easily replacable. The tank itself is industrial plastic, or something like that. The JC tank is aluminum, and the cap is engraved with the power 6 emblem. A nice touch, IMO. Some may argue that the tank is too small, but it lasts long enough for me. The JC kit came standard with a braided alky supply line. I've heard that early SMC kits didn't have this feature. Later kits I've seen came with this upgrade.
I agree that the SMC controller is rather intrusive into the passenger compartment. To me, it's actually an eyesore.:D While it allows a lot of tunablility, it really sticks out unless you hide it somewhere.
With the JC, you just adjust your turn-on via the Hobbs switch, select the proper size jet, and you're ready to go. I've added a small light to let me know when the pump is running. I mainly like this kit because it's simple, easy to install and work with, and doesn't take up a lot of room on the car. Maintenance is easy, as parts are readily available and servicable by the owner.
No flames intended for SMC guys. Just offering up my opinion.
:cool:

Steve

Forgive my ignorance but what is a Hobbs switch and where is it mounted in the JC system?

Also where did you mount your activation light?

Do both systems come with a low Alky light?
Thanks

I like the controller on the SMC kit because when I have to adjust something on the alky I can do it on the fly from the drivers seat. Every time the weather changes and I need to add alky, take out alky, or adjust thew turn on point I can do that. I can also run less alky on the low end and add some at the top of third all while I'm flying down the 1/4 mile. I'm sure the Jay Carter kit is a great peice I just like having the control and tuneability of the SMC kit.

A Hobbs switch is a switch that utilizes a vacuum/boost source to complete a circuit. My switch is located near the manifold, using one of the smaller lines coming off the junction block on the top of the doghouse. I set mine to kick in at 12psi. When it reaches this level of boost, the circuit is completed and the pump turns on.
My activation light is mounted in my single-gauge pillar pod next to my boost gauge. It lights up when the needle hits 12 psi.:D
The JC kit doesn't come with a low-alky light. The SMC does. I'm not into the alky a lot, plus I check things under the hood regularly, so I'm not worried about running out of alky. In other words, I know how far a tank will take me.
The SMC is a neat kit with a lot of bells and whistles. When I bought my JC kit, the SMC wasn't around. I'd consider purchasing a SMC kit if I was in the market for an alky kit.
FWIW, I'm a firm believer in the K.I.S.S. principle. (keep it simple, stupid) Once I set the turn on point for the alky, all I do after that is play with the jetting. To be honest, I haven't changed jets in a while, either. It must work, 'cause I can pull 21-22 psi on 92 octane gas with O2's in the low 800's. I compare my tuning with alky like adjusting the drivers seat. Once you get adjusted to where you're comfortable, you leave it alone and enjoy the ride.
Just my opinion, to each his/her own.:D

Steve

I like the quality of work on JC's kit!

:p The SMC kit does have more features and tunability, but I have to agree that the JC kit is simple and effective. I just installed mine so I have yet to tune it in. If I was to buy again, I would keep the JC aluminum tank and retrofit the SMC tunability into it. I think that the SMC controller could be a bit smaller and less obvious. Stealth is good! Just my o2... Both kits are great investments for your GN

I have the jc kit myself and love it.I like it because you can run straight alky thru the pump without mixing oil with it awesome pump.Been running straight alky for a year and a half with no problems.Seems the tunability would be easieir with the smc kit.Both awesome kits.I would buy either one!

everybody keeps forgetting about the spray plate that mounts under the intake. you will use less alcy and run whay more boost. I run a JC 110 chip and 26 lbs of boost on pump gas:p

Less alky and more boost with the plate? Why is this? I may be wrong, but take two systems at the same levels with the same atomization abilities injecting alky into a hot, 100 plus mph air charge is going to have roughly the same effect whether or not it's at the plenum or 6-12 inches in front of it, isn't it?

FWIW, I don't think I want to run much more than the 26 psi boost I currently run in my WE4!

I have SMC nozzles and controller in my DIY kit, and LOVE them! Had the NOS type nozzle and various jets and was a pain to tune. It worked, just harder to work with.

I have the SMC kit on my car and must say it flat out kicks a**!
I recently had a problem with the controller and called Steve C at SMC. He told me to box it up and ship it back to him. He checked it out and repaired the problem for free. The best thing was I had it back in less than a week. That is definitely the fastest service I have ever had from any Buick vendor.

I use the SMC kit and I like it very much. I have no experience with the jay carter kit. The SMC kit uses a nozzle designed to spray a cone pattern of liquid, not NOS/gas. I enjoy the tunability of the SMC kit, very easy to adjust. Install is also very quick. The low alky light is something I would not want to be without, as both our GN's do more than 1/4 mile at a time (autocross / road racing). I wouldnt want to be without that light even on street duty.

You guys with the SMC kit, where are you mounting your controller? I love the idea of the adjustability but I would not have that honker out in the open.

I mounted my controller in the glove box. I wanted to hide it, also! Don't think there was enough wire to make it to the center console, not sure though.

Jay

the alcy gets sprayed into each cylinder just like nos or and inj. It does not have too round acorner like a jrt in the up pipe,it makes alot of turbulance.

Loudiv,

I'm not the argumentative type, but is this based on theory or testing? The flip side of the coin is, and this is just theorizing on my part, that if it is a few/several inches further in front of the TB, it actually has more time to be absorbed, vaporized, and evenly dispersed by the hot air charge. I've only seen pictures of the JC plate and it looks like a very nice piece, but I don't believe it has six individual spray holes with one aimed at each cylinder, does it?

I've had nozzles mounted in three different locations on two different cars ranging from the very back of the TB right into the plenum to the IC outlet... all with similar results.

YGETV8, would you say you had no trouble running it to the glove box? I like that idea and I think I will go with the SMC if it was not too much more trouble to run it in there.

Originally posted by blackbuick87
You guys with the SMC kit, where are you mounting your controller? I love the idea of the adjustability but I would not have that honker out in the open.

i mounted mine under the dash down by the radio. it cant really be seen from outside the car unless you are looking for it. another local guy mounted his in the console.

I believe one must get better mixture and atomization by mixing it in the airstream down the pipe. Probably does not make a tremendous amount of difference, tho.

Don't forget Joe Tripodi's kits which let you build all levels of performance and options.

It wasn't too bad... just some careful wire running through the hole under the heater box area.

Jay