Southside Machine Bars question...

unix_punk

I read somewhere that some lift bars can chew up the frame where theyre connected...would these be one of the sets? The car is a daily driver that will see low 11s this year. Any pros or cons to having these on a daily driver? Thanks in advance.

Steve

Attachments

• bars.jpg
    bars.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 497
The bars will elongate the holes in the frame because the metal is too thin. My son has these on his car, its a daily driver. I welded metal plate to the frame, drilled a hole for the bolt, plus welded a strap in front where the bar bolts up to give it more strength. No Problems.

sounds like a good plan... you weld plates on the innner side of the car, outer side or both?

I know a few guys that just welded washers on the outsides of the control arm mounts.

Ok, so its the outer side of the car that needs the support, would you suggest the inner side as well? I havent been under there to even look yet.

Well if you look you can't put anything on the "inner" side...Then you wouldn't have room for the control arm...The problem is just like 86TexasT said the metal is just to thin...With solid bushings the holes elongate.

Those bars do cause problems, enlongated holes, squeek, and you have to weld them. There are new designs out their and give better results for traction. HR parts and Metco sell up to date designs.

Yep!

Those bars do cause problems, enlongated holes, squeek, and you have to weld them. There are new designs out their and give better results for traction. HR parts and Metco sell up to date designs.

Best place for those bars is in the metal recycle bin...:mad:
I spent ALOT of time making repairs to my son's GN, after that crap had eaten up the mounts...

South Side trash

Those bars were hyped up years ago,Everybody and their momma tried them, not only did they cause problems as others have mentioned, they slowed down most cars, probably from suspension bind. The guy we got our GN from said they were hyped up JUNK and put em in the trash 10 years ago. He put the stockers back on. Do yourself a favor and do what Chuck said put them in a recycling bin!:eek: