Spanked a twin-turbo AWD 911 on the big end...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbosix6

PORSCHE KILLER
I was cruising down the boulevard last evening when I spotted an awesome AWD 911 twin-turbo. I pulled a quick u-turn and caught up to the Porsche, driving side-by-side for a few lights. Its not very often that I come across a Porsche owner thats willing to put the hammer down, so I waited for his move. As we cleared the lights he changed lanes and started to speed up, heading towards a 4 mile stretch of four lane blacktop with no lights or intersections. I put the pedal down and caught up to the Porsche in a flash at about 80 mph, I looked over - he smiled and gave me the signal. We both jumped on it and I instantly pulled 3 cars on him and was pulling away so fast that I thought he just gave up, so I slowed to 75mph and he catches up, rolls his window down and says, I know you can take me in the 1/4 so lets go for the mile, I yell back, okay then GO - He takes off at 80mph+ and I hammer the throttle, blowing passed him again, this time I hold the gas down streching it out to at least a 7 car lead in fourth gear. At this point I know I'm flying and thoughts are starting to run through my mind ( trees,poles and my bias-ply ET-strees) so I let off, knowing that this guy knows he has been beaten. We make the u-turn at the end of the strip and he pulls up and asks if it is a 10 sec car and what the hell is under the hood, I tell him it runs 11.50 and that the car is a stock 3.8 except for a bigger turbo, intercooler and fuel - He was amazed ( I didnt bother to tell him that I had 118,000 miles because he would have never believed me anyway). As we pull away I yell over, hey how fast were you going? He yells back 145MPH+ - why, is your speedo broken? I yell back, no it starts flashing at 85!! He got a good laugh from that one.

Still shocks me to think I was going 150++ in my Buick T -WOW.

Sweet kill!

You da man!!!:D Keep educating those Porsche guys on the power of the DARK SIDE:cool:

what would be a pretty good GUESSTOMATE on the top speed of a grand national? from the factory if it wasnt governed and with the mods he has?
my uncle said the gn he is selling me will do high 11's but i did not believe him for some reason, i just liked the car. hehe, but he may be telling the truth
nice kill

150 mph in a BUICK? that is VERY scary!!! hehe the fastest I have done is 125 (damn governor) and i was sh!tting my pants!

LOL @ "trees, poles, tires, etc." i think the same exact thing when going that fast...

Originally posted by d0n_3d
150 mph in a BUICK? that is VERY scary!!! hehe the fastest I have done is 125 (damn governor) and i was sh!tting my pants!

LOL @ "trees, poles, tires, etc." i think the same exact thing when going that fast...

I'm kinda sorry I had Casper's "fix" my digital dash. As a result, I've seen 117 in my GN. The whole flashing 85 thing was comforting....maybe I'm only going 86..... But, it was surprisingly smooth. Lots of wind noise, but otherwise okay. It wasn't 'til I let up that I realized I was holding onto the wheel so tight my fingers hurt and my hands were sweaty. But, I got past that slow-moving truck before the lane ended.....

Jim

Wow!

I'm impressed! Those AWD Turbo Porsches run over 175 mph and more - and you beat one down with a 118k Turbo Buick?

Are you sure it was a Turbo Porsche? They have exceptionally long legs and high speed is their forte'. I'm not doubting your kill, but man - if it WAS truly a AWD Turbo, then you had to be running an ungodly top end speed! Those cars are built for top end numbers and ours aren't, so to kill one on top end is - pardon the expression - almost unreal!

You had to be going faster in a G-Body than I would want to be , for sure! ESPECIALLY without suspension/ground effects mods!

Nice job Turbosix. BTW, did you put in the intercooler yourself, since you listed it as a mod? or do u have a 86 or 87? I'm thinking of putting an intercooler in my 84. Thanks

Originally posted by Turbosix6
He takes off at 80mph+ and I hammer the throttle, blowing passed him again, this time I hold the gas down streching it out to at least a 7 car lead in fourth gear.

I'm with Raven. Are you sure it was An AWD turbo 911? How do you know? Those cars are stupid fast when it comes to top end.

I don't know about this one.

I’m by no means a turbo buick expert, and I’m sure the rest of you guys are much more familiar with the stability of a G-body, but MAN 150mph?!?!?! I’ve done 140+ in my 4th gen F-body and I have a lot of suspension mods plus 275/40/17 tires on 17X9 wheels, and I was still a little uneasy.

911TTs are insane machines from something like a 80mph punch. That’s an amazing kill.

I've seen a pretty good amount of TRs doing 150mph+ in the 1/4 mile at the track, but I don't know if I'd have the balls to go over 120 on the street in my GN... My car is pretty stable at 120mph, but u have to be a little crazy to take it up to those speeds IMO cause more than anything when I think of that kind of mph I'm worried about stopping and the brakes on the TRs aren't really up to the task if u know what I mean:eek:

Raise the Flag!

Ok, one of two things here - either it was NOT an AWD Turbo Porsche 911 (possible) OR (and I think this is most likely) this story is just that - a story.

I've driven the 911 Turbo AT SPEED (and it was not the high HP version that the AWD version is) - a mid 11 sec GN will NOT walk it by several car lengths on the top end from a roll. No way. And it CERTAINLY will not outrun it in a mile. The newer version AWD 911 will flat out show it's tail lights to most everyone. They're not invincible, but this story has too many holes in it...

Some funny items here - a "four mile lane of blacktop with no lights or intersections" - in a major NY city ("boulevard"?)? Uh, sure. The conversations included a 75 mph discussion through open windows about "you can take me in the quarter, lets do a mile"? Ever heard the wind noise in a G-Body with an open window at 75mph? Strike two. And the icing on the cake - 150+ mph in a stock suspended, 118,000, well used Turbo T (or whatever)? For a mile or more? Strike three - you're out. And we're not even talking about the whole scenario of "big turbo, intercooler, and fuel" - lingo that anyone who reads this board would use. A real TR addict would have a lot more detail about his mods AND most of all, would have responded again about this supposed "kill".

Nope - this didn't happen. Period.

Okay guys, I'm glad I got some response!! Yea it was a TWIN-TURBO carerra 4S with a fixed (in-place) rear spoiler. This guy knew what he was doing too - He asked me if it ran 10's!? If you would have seen the look on his friends face it was priceless - that guy will NEVER look at a buick regal the same again!! They probably never saw a car pull away from them so fast - I guess if we would have gone from a roll at 130 he might have got me- LOL
I was as shocked as anyone when he told me he was doing over 140mph - but I have thought about and since the car does 116 at the top of third (trap speed) and I held it in fourth pretty long - 150 (+35mph) or more is not out of the question. This car just keeps accelerating so fast through ALL the gears. ( I bet that turbo exhaust housing was glowing brightly)

The car runs 11.51@116 at EnglishTown with a 1.65 short time. Stock suspension with 16" GTA wheels - compT/A fronts and ET-streets rear and it felt super smooth on the top.

Engine Mods - TE-60 john craig turbo
Eastern front mount
70MM kenne-bell t-body
T/H Down pipe
3" single exhaust
340 pump with 009 inj
reds 100 chip with 22 ibs boost and 100 octane
200r4 worked trans with a yank torque converter

Engine never opened with 118,000 miles
Gotta luv-it

By the way- to the poster who asked - where can you do 150 on the street ( I dont recommend it) you can do 150+ anytime you like on the way to the beach and if you live in queens you know where that is :)

I say this is a valid kill.:D Keep in mind, from looking at the guys modds, this is a legit mid 11's second street car with the amount of boost and the gas he was running, so detonation was most likely a non-issue. As for the stability at high speeds, my suspension has bilstein shocks, and rear airbags, and ive seen 120 ++ a few times while running vettes from like say 45-120 and the car pulls like a rape dape, until u hit overdrive right around the 125 mark. (my car is similarly modded, but with heads);) The car is very loud, air off the windshield and frame is loud, but the car is by no means all over the road, although feels a little "light" at those speeds. I think this is valid kill, i wouldn't call complete bs, maybe just on the speeds descibed. I would like to hear the porsche drivers side of this story for sure. Also, i remember not to fair back, another boardmember posting a kill on a porsche on the highway, so why the not believe this one.

Hell, we all know, our cars always surprise people. Even sometimes ourselves, Ill testify to that.

Shoebox:D

Originally posted by blackshoebox
Keep in mind, from looking at the guys modds, this is a legit mid 11's second street car with the amount of boost and the gas he was running

Their is no question about that whats so ever.

But to beat a Twin Turbo from an 80 roll, I really don't think theirs just enough power for that. Those things hit 150 in a heart beat.

Believe me, I am a firm believer in the power of the TR's but.......I would have to hear the other guy's story.

Also, i remember not to fair back, another boardmember posting a kill on a porsche on the highway, so why the not believe this one.

I posted about killing a boxster, it was from about 50 to 100mph

as for the current post, if you can run mid 11's, you probably have the acceleration to walk an AWD 911 Turbo, at least to your own top speed, eventually you will quit accelerating and he won't and then he will catch up and go past you, but at the speeds described, 1 mile will take about 30 seconds and that is about all it takes to top out a GN. If he would have stayed in it long enough the porsche would go cruising by.

I can tell you this, when I let off the gas there was still some left to go - you have to consider my trap speed of 116 mph in the 1/4 - If I am doing 116 at the top third gear dont you guys think that fourth gear is good for at least another 45-50 mph? I do.
Also take into consideration that I have ET-street bias-ply tires on the rear right now - radials would have cut down on rolling resistance tremendously.

I thought it would have been a little closer but it wasn't and I kicked his @ss with total enjoyment.

Happy Porsche hunting!!

Originally posted by Turbosix6

If I am doing 116 at the top third gear dont you guys think that fourth gear is good for at least another 45-50 mph?

Uh... in a word - NO. The horsepower required to push an aerodynamically disadvantaged car like the G-Body from 116 mph on up to 150 + mph is enormous.

Raven - just got a laugh from the ending of your previous post - No, this race just didnt happen - thats a good one, like I have time to compose a fake story - LOL :rolleyes:

Question: Have you ever driven a buick turbo that runs 11's? If you think a 12.50 buick feels fast - an 11 sec buick will knock your socks off - it pulls in 3rd like a 12 sec buick pulls in 2nd gear and keeps pulling.

Dont know why GM ever stopped building that engine combo - guess the same reason they killed the camaro & firebird :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.