Spanked a twin-turbo AWD 911 on the big end...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raven, your to much man - What the hell would I be doing here if I didnt own a Turbo-T ?? ( I own 2 by the way). Even if I take pictures of my cars and show them to you how will it prove I spanked that Porsche? It wont, because your jealousy or your dis-belief in buick power is obvious to everyone on this board - By the way the viper is much faster than the 911 once it passes 100 mph, I know this because I have raced 2 viper GTS (if you trust me) that have creeped up on me after the 1/4. I am sure that hey would have passed me and stretched it, but not that Porsche. By the way I think Porsches are awesome cars.

Amen.

Also I have a 3600 Yank torqe converter - maybee that helped it out - Fourth pulled like third, no falling on its face.

Originally posted by blackshoebox
" Hell, the Turbo Porsche will top over 100 mph IN THIRD GEAR alone."

So will a buick..

Shoebox

But the Porsche still has THREE more gears - the TB has ONE.

Peace.

Raven

I guess the bottom line is that Raven knows everything and we know nothing... I guess u also know how good a driver the Porsche guy was:rolleyes: I bow down to the almighty KNOW IT ALL Raven:eek: :p BTW, from now on everybody should ask for Raven's approval before they post a kill cause we don't want to anger him LMAO!!!

Even the latest version of the 911 TT come with the power robbing Tiptronic Automatic transmission as an option. Good luck running over 112 mph in the 1/4 with one of those.

Then there is mods. What the magazines publish on a high dollar porsche is usually the Fastest they will run. Stockbrokers and dentists don't send their $100K car off for another $20K in mods to run quicker, especially when they feel like they own the road, as-is.

Even a Z06 runs as fast in the 1/4 mile as an AWD TT 911 and will stay with one from a roll until they run out of road.

And 4th gear is worse than 3rd in a buick but it isn't THAT bad. If you shift from 3rd to 4th at 5500 RPM, you are smack in the torque peak of the motor at 3200-3500 RPM and it should pull hard to 4700 or so before the aerodynamics really start to hurt. A car with a front mount will be a lot more stable at speed than a car with a stock location I/C.

I don't see anything in the story that couldn't be true. Looks like a good kill to me.

"If you shift from 3rd to 4th at 5500 RPM, you are smack in the torque peak of the motor at 3200-3500 RPM and it should pull hard to 4700 or so before the aerodynamics really start to hurt."

My point exactly, aerodynamics really takes effect after the car is out of its power band.

"A car with a front mount will be a lot more stable at speed than a car with a stock location I/C."

If you don't mind me asking, why is it that the car would be more stable at that speed with a front mont rather than a stock location intercooler, is it better air flow, or what??

Shoebox

Originally posted by blackshoebox
If you don't mind me asking, why is it that the car would be more stable at that speed with a front mont rather than a stock location intercooler, is it better air flow, or what??

Shoebox

A car with a stock location intercooler pressurizes the underhood region of a car, a lot more than a car with a front mount will (besides the obvious lack of a scoop, the front mount provides extra resistance to air going through the radiator) Less pressure under the hood, less front end lift, more stability at high speeds.

Front end lift is what makes the car unstable at high speeds. Reduce that and the general body shape has hit 200+ at talledaga with 650-700 hp and the windows rolled down.

Actually...

The bottom line is: There's way too much ignorance in this thread, period. Fact is, that Porsche is NOT an 11 second car. I wont even guess what they actually run in the 1/4th because I honestly do not know. But what I do know that it's not 11 seconds. That GN (if truly 11 secs) will indeed stomp a mud hole the Porsche's ass in a sprint, but once the Buick runs out of gears, as it will, it's all over, obviously. We're talkin about a 6-speed *exotic* here.

I'm also well aware of a couple TR's of buddies of mine that DO have the power and torque curve to pull hard even through 4th gear (OD). I've not only seen it, I've ridden in one that did. It was a mid-10 second vehicle, traction -very- limited.. and it toasted overdrive rather quickly for a V6 that someone was earlier claiming that it was 'impossible'. All with 3.73 gears and a tranny tightening. We also have plenty of long-stretch back roads around here where people screw with their drag cars on, and I see it all the time. My father takes his 442 down the street all the time, and managed to hit about 130 mph. (Damn those Richmond 4.10's!)

Before I stray off, just thought I'd jump in and say this could surely be a legit story, aside from the fact his listed mods may not add up to it. But I, personally, know a couple TR's that would easily smoke any porsche or exotic all the way thrugh 4th gear. Then its time to suck it up and let the extra gears take their advantage.

PS: Go to BuickPower.com.. look under Buick Videos.. and look for the "Two GN's show a Viper how it's done". Rather funny if you ask me.

The only race I can recall that came close to this was when TurboDave caught an M5 on the freeway in SD.

I believe he said it was not easy.

I have always heard never run the German cars at top-end.

There are many facets to this post and I don't know which side to side with, but I must say a few things...

First concerning aerodynamics they make a big difference at high speeds. A Vette will beat a Viper from about 80 to 100 on up as a result of aerodynamics.

Secondly, this wasn't a 1/4 mile run so disregard it, it was an 80 mph roll. One of the reasons that TRs run such good ET's is a result of the fact that they launch hard and in this particular instance there was no launch.

Then again, regardless of a launch or not an 11-second car is still a damn quick car...*sigh* I give up and don't know who to believe, so confused...:confused:

I have some input on this topic, you can see by the modifications in my profile. that i have a pretty serious list of modifications.

I raced a legit TT AWD Porsche in street trim, and let me tell you i have never raced a FASTER car on the street in all my days of street racing. Off the line i had him by about a 1/4 car length, the guy obviously left at idle. After about 60 feet out the thing took off and he kept on pulling, i let out of it at about 100 mph i guess lol. And he had a good 5-6 car lead and if i didnt give up, by about 120 he would have had a 10 car lead. The thing really made its distance when i hit 80.

Another thing you forgot to mention is you ran 11.50's in track trim, in street trim its a whole different story.

What are his mods? I did not see them in the sig. Maybe I missed it in the thread somewhere...

Originally posted by Turbosix6

Engine Mods - TE-60 john craig turbo
Eastern front mount
70MM kenne-bell t-body
T/H Down pipe
3" single exhaust
340 pump with 009 inj
reds 100 chip with 22 ibs boost and 100 octane
200r4 worked trans with a yank torque converter

UNGN,

Thanks! I scanned the tread but missed it! I guess I need some glasses! LOL :)

Originally posted by Turbosix6
Raven, your to much man - What the hell would I be doing here if I didnt own a Turbo-T ?? ( I own 2 by the way). Even if I take pictures of my cars and show them to you how will it prove I spanked that Porsche?

Amen.

"I own 2 by the way." Uh - yeah, right. And, your "webpage" that should show us the TWO Turbo-T's was only created yesterday - you know, the "forgotten" link that shows both of your Turbo-T's?

You're already in over your head.:rolleyes:

Just thought you guys should note that if you do a search under my username in the "kill" area, you will see that I raced a modded 911 Turbo from a 55mph roll a few months ago. Now, my car WAS capable of 123mph+ and high 10s-low 11s in the quarter at the time, but I didn't just beat him, he was annihilated. So it is very possible, I believe, even for a high 11 second car to atleast win. I think it is a believable story.

Epitome are you SURE you really won - Raven is going to need 3 proofs of victory to believe you - LOL. Its obvious that raven only reads about Buicks and doesnt race them.

Status
Not open for further replies.