SPS rod bolts and rod bearing, which?

turbota440

Bearings used in the rebuild were Clevite 960 mains and Clevite 1228 rod bearings.
Clearances were checked at 1.5 to 2 thousands clearance. Engine ran well and very quiet. Front cover was massaged and always showed good oil pressure.

Looking at the bearings in the engine now shows
Some of the rod bearings show copper on top half only. I assume detonation. Bottom half of same rod are very good almost no wear showing.
Mains are in good condition showing very little wear. Thinking of replacing with new 960 P just because I'm here.

Questions are:

1. Should I use the wider rod bearings Fed Mogul 3755apa or maybe Clevite CB 1443 ?
2. With 150k miles on Rod bolts I want to replace with GM replacement bolt 25531956. Is this an SPS bolt and of equal quality to original? Reason is that I don't want to pull the rods out or rebalance the assembly.

Primarily 99% street car weekend toy now. When raced before was a 11.7 quarter mile car.

Last edited:
I would highly recommend using wider bearings, ESP on an engine as loose as yours.

With the rod bolts, that's sketchy. I'd stick with the originals if you're not going to do it right.

I would highly recommend using wider bearings, ESP on an engine as loose as yours.

With the rod bolts, that's sketchy. I'd stick with the originals if you're not going to do it right.
Would the Clevite CB1443P be a good choice ??

After the last time I used Clevites on a personal build... I can safely say I will never use those things again.

I like the plain ole Federal Mogul A series bored alum bearings (whatever part number replaced the 3755APAs)