Sputter/low idling problem..............could it be water?

XFactor

I start my car once a month since November. Last couple starts I encountered a problem. (note: car ran perfect before storage)

Start the car...............runs fine for 2 or 3 minutes while warming up. Then the idle drops real low as if it were about to stall, but it doesn't. "Service engine soon" light comes on. When this happens I shut the car off, wait a several seconds and start it again. Next I stabbed the gas pedal or reved motor a few times. Then she runs and idles like a champ after that (light never comes on again) :confused: .

I know there could be a several different technical poblems that could be causing this like..........O2 sensor (which was recently replaced), AIC motor, or ignition related.

But could it be something as simple as water getting in my fuel tank/lines. Because when I first put my car away for the winter (garaged) I forgot to fill up my tank. I probably got a little over a half in now. I'm thinking next time I start it up I should fill it up and put some dry gas in the tank.

What do you guys think?

Good idea to go ahead and put the gas in it including the dry gas. If it throws another code then pull the code and see what its complaining about.

SES lite??

I don't think the possibilities you mentioned will set a code.
Follow the idea Mark has and take a look at what's coded.

Don't have a scan tool. But I've heard that contaminated fuel (water) can set off a code 44 (O2 sensor). Water delivered to the injectors can cause a lean exhaust and can set a 44.

Not sure though. I'll have to figure it out.

Cold start fueling in the chip.

Just exactly what chip is in there?

Pull that code too. :)

Get a D5 yet? Got 2 that just came out of my cars if you want to swap it for your questionable one.

Good luck, see ya at Walmart in the spring. :D

Hi Salvage.............I have to check that out too (chip). My hunch is it isn't factory. My mechanic friend said if the TC was changed than the chip probably was too.

Got a low-mile (as claimed) D5 on ebay. Got it fairly cheap too. Probably replace it some time in April.

Thanks anyway................definitely see you Walmart! :cool: .

Definately check the chip. Cold weather idling wasn't Buicks strongpoint with the stock chip let alone some of the other gooorooos that make them.

Many good chips now to choose from however. :cool:

Get that code too. :)