Stage 2 engine build pics

turbobitt

Thought I would share some of these photo's. Engine freshening is well underway. Made some changes to the combo this year. Added some compression and rephased the cam. Added some material around the outside of the exhaust ports for better exhaust sealing.

Allan G.

Attachments

• Buick 115A.jpg
    Buick 115A.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,883
  • Buick 116A.jpg
    Buick 116A.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,921
  • Buick 114A.jpg
    Buick 114A.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,897
  • buick 100A.jpg
    buick 100A.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,888
  • Buick 105A.jpg
    Buick 105A.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,895
I had some request for pictures of the lifter galley area. Also included clearanced timing cover for gear drive and modified Fluidamper for pick up ring.

Allan G.

Attachments

• buick 117A.jpg
    buick 117A.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,784
  • buick 118A.jpg
    buick 118A.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,772
  • buick 068.jpg
    buick 068.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1,784
  • buick 048.jpg
    buick 048.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,785
Wow Allen, very nice!!! What was the old compression ratio and what is it now? Are you going to run a vacuum pump setup? If so what are your plans?

TIA
Prasad

Wow Allen, very nice!!! What was the old compression ratio and what is it now? Are you going to run a vacuum pump setup? If so what are your plans?

TIA
Prasad

Thought that it was 8.5 to 1 all along but after doing an inspection during tear down, found out old compression ratio was 8.0 to 1. Now the new compression is near 9.0 to 1. For now, I'm not going to run any type of vacuum pump. I have had good luck with the ring selection so far with very little blow-by and crank case pressure. But then again, I never really pushed the boost levels that are becoming common these days.
I'm also trying the lateral gas ports. You can see in the pictures that they have small holes near the upper most part of the ring land.
Other than the compression ratio change, and a slight rephasing of the cam, the combination won't change a whole lot. I bumped the spring pressures up and adding a sheet metal intake. Would like to get this pig into the 8's. Based on my old performace at low boost levels and no traction, I think I can get there with my current configuration.

Allan G.

A couple more pictures with the intake placed on.

Allan G.

Attachments

• Buick 121A.jpg
    Buick 121A.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 1,680
  • Buick 123A.jpg
    Buick 123A.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 1,686
  • Buick 122A.jpg
    Buick 122A.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 1,701
Working on making the A/C eliminator bracket work with my electric water pump.

Also stripping the engine bay for repaint.

Attachments

• Buick 124A.jpg
    Buick 124A.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,588
  • Buick 125A.jpg
    Buick 125A.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,581
  • Buick 126A.jpg
    Buick 126A.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,563
  • Buick 130A.jpg
    Buick 130A.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,562
Looks like a beast Allan. Can't wait to see it on the pike.

Thanks, Can't wait to take it out. At this stage, I'm thinking of painting the car over but trying to resist the urge of getting to out of control. Not enough time to work on the car with a new house and new baby.
Hope to have some paint on the engine bay for the weekend. Radiator support, inner fenders, and all the suspension have all been blasted and painted and ready to install.
Allan G.

Hey Allan, what are you using for paint? POR 15? Give us a shot of after paint!! Looking great man, I wish mine would be something close to yours when it's all done with!!!.

Prasad:cool:

Hey Allan, what are you using for paint? POR 15? Give us a shot of after paint!! Looking great man, I wish mine would be something close to yours when it's all done with!!!.

Prasad:cool:

I wouldn't use POR 15 to coat a dumpster, sorry for all you POR 15 users. I will be using a special PPG primer that is sutable for use as a topcoat and won't oxidize and is UV stable. It actually has a nice semi-gloss level thats perfect for engine bays. I will post pctures when its painted.
Allan G.

Working on making the A/C eliminator bracket work with my electric water pump.

Run a mandrel off the crank and run seperate belts for the alternator and P/S.
Prior to me converting over to manual steering, I was running P/S and alternator. If you need pics, let me know.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Run a mandrel off the crank and run seperate belts for the alternator and P/S.
Prior to me converting over to manual steering, I was running P/S and alternator. If you need pics, let me know.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Pictures and suggestions are appreciated.
Allan G.

BTW, looks great. 8s should be no problem. What turbo are you planning to use?

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Will be using the Y2K88 turbo. Change my combo a little bit. Added some compression and rephased the cam. Added a sheetmetal intake.

These are pictures of the frame painted with the suspension installed. Did this yesterday and finished up today. Pictures are not the greatest because of sun glare.

Allan G.

Attachments

• Buick 136A.jpg
    Buick 136A.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,356
  • Buick 135A.jpg
    Buick 135A.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,346
I was just thinking of posting some more pictures. The build is going really slow due to recent move into new house and newborn baby. I have the engine in the car but the nose of the car was removed so that I can detail and paint the inner fenders and radiator support. I will try and have some pictures up this weekend. Trying to decide if I want to reuse my alluminum radiator or replace it with something with a more stock style mounting.

Bison is getting me excited to dyno the car so I may have to get it running at least with the nose off the car. This would require decisions to be made about upgrading the computer and boost controller.
Allan G.