Stage 2 TT street car

A little progress,

DSC04988.JPG
DSC04995.JPG
DSC05006.JPG

I am going to use the TR6 ignition system instead of the factory pieces, I designed a bracket to hold the 6 LS1 coils, its a 2-piece design. I had a company from 3D-Hub use a 3D printer to print out the parts in ABS plastic for fit-checks, this is REV 1, I made a couple small changes after this pic.
DSCF0491.JPG
DSCF0492.JPG

Once verified fit is ok with the engine in the car I'll send out the model for CNC machining.

Mike

The master cylinder firewall bracket has been done for quiet a while and I installed last week. It took a couple tries to get it right but fits well now, the firewall sits at 17 degrees, the TRZ bracket is about 12 degrees so the push rod hits the brake pedal too low. My bracket is almost 17 degrees so the master cylinder sits level, the push rod hits the brake pedal nice and straight at the manual hole position drilled by GM. I would not have done this if I didn't absolutely have to, the tilt on the MC push rod was so extreme it never would have worked. I had the bracket printed by a 3D printer (the white plastic) to fit-check the part before sending out to a machinist. Painted the machined part black.[/ATTACH]
DSC05018.JPG
DSC05019.JPG
DSCF0440.JPG
DSCF0443.JPG
DSCF0445.JPG

Mike

The master cylinder firewall bracket has been done for quiet a while and I installed last week. It took a couple tries to get it right but fits well now, the firewall sits at 17 degrees, the TRZ bracket is about 12 degrees so the push rod hits the brake pedal too low. My bracket is almost 17 degrees so the master cylinder sits level, the push rod hits the brake pedal nice and straight at the manual hole position drilled by GM. I would not have done this if I didn't absolutely have to, the tilt on the MC push rod was so extreme it never would have worked. I had the bracket printed by a 3D printer (the white plastic) to fit-check the part before sending out to a machinist. Painted the machined part black.[/ATTACH] View attachment 266629 View attachment 266630 View attachment 266633 View attachment 266634 View attachment 266635

Mike

I guess I cheated? I just used the mounting plate on the back of the Powermaster. That wouldn't have worked for you? See below.....
IMG_0099.JPG

I'm not sure, from what I could gather it looked like the TRZ and the PM had the same tilt. What hole on the pedal are you connected to? I read on the board where one other member did the same but drilled a hole lower than the 6:1 GM hole.

Mike

I'm not sure, from what I could gather it looked like the TRZ and the PM had the same tilt. What hole on the pedal are you connected to? I read on the board where one other member did the same but drilled a hole lower than the 6:1 GM hole.

Mike
I don't remember. Is there more than one? I know I didn't drill a hole in the pedal though. I just used the universal adjustable length push-rod from Summit. I remember I also had to modify that as well. If I get around to it soon, I'll refresh my memory by looking under there. The frigg'n cage makes it a bitch unless you pull the seat out though! I'll let you know.

But I do know the factory powermaster mounting pad works great at holding the Willwood master cylinder just perfectly level. Saves a little cash so I didn't have to buy that big heavy billet adapter. A little spray paint and some cheap foam weather stripping behind it and it was done.

Oh, and for my application, I thought it to be a good idea to fabricate a little heat shield also. For obvious reasons.

If I get around to it soon, I'll refresh my memory by looking under there. The frigg'n cage makes it a bitch unless you pull the seat out though! I'll let you know.

Put your cell phone on a selfie stick set to record a video, and just reach up under the dash from outside the car :). Or, if you have one of those video borescopes use that. Or use your GoPro, or ... I'm way to old and stiff to crawl up under dashes any more, and I needed to see what the blendoor motors looked like on my pickup truck, so I reached up in there with my cell phone and got a nice clear shot. May need to add a worklight to get enough light.

Put your cell phone on a selfie stick set to record a video, and just reach up under the dash from outside the car :). Or, if you have one of those video borescopes use that. Or use your GoPro, or ... I'm way to old and stiff to crawl up under dashes any more, and I needed to see what the blendoor motors looked like on my pickup truck, so I reached up in there with my cell phone and got a nice clear shot. May need to add a worklight to get enough light.
Good Idea!(y)

I designed a simple bracket for the TR6 and finalized the 6 coil bracket, had them both printed in plastic and test-fitted. Fitment is good, so off to the machine shop.

DSCF0693.JPG DSCF0695.JPG DSCF0698.JPG DSCF0699.JPG DSCF0700.JPG

Mike

Mike,
I kinda like the plastic. I mean, if it came in black it could work well as the mounting pad for the TR6 box. Is it rigid enough?
And for the coils, it doesn't transfer heat as well.

Nothing exciting, plumbing wastegates. Dismayed at the inflated prices of Gear Vendors unit, they have no competition, which is bad for us. Can't buy a used one because if I need to replace any parts they have to be bought through GV who charges rediculous prices for individual parts. Makes me think of that kid who was recently in the news for jacking up the the price of an exclusive drug his company makes by 400%, overnight. GV probably makes 1500.00 profit on every unit they sell. Anyone know what a distributor actually pays for one of these solid gold OD units, bet its not even close to what they charge us.
Venting.....

Mike

Nothing exciting, plumbing wastegates. Dismayed at the inflated prices of Gear Vendors unit, they have no competition, which is bad for us. Can't buy a used one because if I need to replace any parts they have to be bought through GV who charges rediculous prices for individual parts. Makes me think of that kid who was recently in the news for jacking up the the price of an exclusive drug his company makes by 400%, overnight. GV probably makes 1500.00 profit on every unit they sell. Anyone know what a distributor actually pays for one of these solid gold OD units, bet its not even close to what they charge us.
Venting.....

Mike
Why don't you try what I have done. When I had my 400 built, I was convinced I would need a GV Unit to be happy. But I couldn't afford it at the time. So I skipped it. I figured if I installed it the next summer it would be less stressful on the financial situation. Also, I wanted to get some passes in at the track without the additional weight. I knew that my drive-shaft could be reused but it would need to be made smaller. I also knew that I would need a power source for the unit and an OD activation switch on the shifter. So, while it was apart, I pre-wired this stuff in for future use.

Then I drove it hundreds of miles during that first summer up and down the Northeast from Massachusetts to Maryland. And guess what? I don't need it.

If I should still change my mind, install would be easy enough. It's all set-upalready. Maybe a shot or 2 with the lump hammer on the underside of the tranny tunnel, a little spray paint and a trip to the drive-shaft machinist. Do it later. Spend the money on cooler stuff.;)

Venting.....

Mike
Looks like its going to be a nice ride, a lot of thought went to it, just curious what made you stick to oe LS coils instead of aftermarket, also if you haven't got trans. yet might try 4l80 same unit with od, anyway nice car.

A little progress:
Remote oil filter housing bracket designed, printed and test-fitted. Coils mounted on aluminum bracket, TR6 mounted on aluminum bracket, 4in PTS driveshaft with a trans slip yoke that does not fit my TH400 output shaft. I think its a 50/50 shot with the slip yoke, its either a truck or a car slip yoke? They didn't even ask me and I don't sell driveshafts for a living so I didn't know to give the output shaft specs. Waiting for a new yoke I get to change myself. Everything is stalled, waiting, on Jones Racing Products whom is designing the pulley system, 8-10 weeks lead time is now 16 weeks and no ETA.DSCF0783.JPG DSCF0785.JPG DSCF0789.JPG DSCF0792.JPG DSCF0793.JPG
If you could buy and receive this stuff I would have been done a year and half ago but everything is custom so its a long wait for each part of the puzzle. Ahh well, it will get done eventually.

Mike