Stock ECM or Fast XFI???

You had to get that XFI didn't you. Just think where the extra money could have went if you chose to go abother route ;) :biggrin: :tongue: :D

That's right. I'd be eating filets instead of Sam's Club frozen burgers.

I wimped out and went over to my mom's house. She was serving nicely marinated london broil.

Jim

When your at a level to actually benefit form a FAST or even other WB system then the cost of the unit shouldnt even be a deciding factor. You have already spent thousands to have a reliable combo. $2k more is nothing. Anyone serious about racing doesnt give a $hit about the cost. They want it to work. Plain and simple. Not saying you cant go fast with chips. I know you can. I went 10.88@126 @24psi on my first pass with the old combo in my sig. Lazy 60' too. Could have whittled it down to 10.30's with hard launching and more boost. It had a p trim turbo. Still had a stock MAFS with a screen in it and loose AC converter (14%slip). But i have found that the control i have with FAST is unparalelled to anything else ive tuned with. Ill be putting another in my blue car soon. Might not be absolutely necessary but its so much easier than having to deal with the limitations of the stock ecm.

It all comes down to a matter of personal preference and tuning abilities. Personally, I run FAST Classic and XFI on my street cars because that's what I run on the race car and that's what I am comfortable with. I don't have the capability to burn my own chips and the piggyback stuff is too awkward and cumbersome for my taste. Folks who aren't comfortable with an almost infinite range of adjustability should probably stick with the stock ECM. The tranlator pro stuff is good in that it's a sort of bridge gap between the stock ECM and FAST or DFI type systems. The thing I like most is having it all in one neat package as far as tuning and data logging without having to flash lights, flip dip switches, and hold my jaw in a certain position while doing those things. As stated above, if you have the abilities and/or access to a good tuner for assistance, an XFI, FAST Classic or DFI system has amazing cababilities over any stock ECM configuration.

By the way, there is NO end to this debate just like the age old "How do I set my TPS?" :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Fast XFI question...

Speaking of Fast XFI, I'm having one installed on my car right now and haven't got my car back yet, but I wonder after a run at the track, how will I know if the engine was running rich or lean as I think that my Scanmaster will be useless with the Fast XFI ?...(I do not have a laptop at the moment...)

Claude :)

Speaking of Fast XFI, I'm having one installed on my car right now and haven't got my car back yet, but I wonder after a run at the track, how will I know if the engine was running rich or lean as I think that my Scanmaster will be useless with the Fast XFI ?...(I do not have a laptop at the moment...)

Claude, when you review the run, you will see where the XFI added or subtracted fuel. Just go to the VE table and make the changes so you aren't relying on the FAST to make large fueling changes. You want to get the fueling close enough so the XFI only makes small adjustments. It's really quite simple once you've seen it done. Jack should be coming up this fall (I need to call him). Get a lap top, and be ready.:) Brian

If it knocks, it's lean :) Your knock gauge will still work.

You'll have to wait until the end of the run and play it back from FAST.

Jim

***LET THE VENDOR BIDDING WARS BEGIN***
i am ready to upgrade to XFI
venders on this thread pm me with your best deal shipped to Minnesota
one thing you will learn about the 2 vendors posting on this thread is that they are NOT parts whores, (unlike some vendors we have). both of them will give you a fair price & good customer service. that is required with FAST. if you are looking to save a dollar or 2 it will come back to haunt you.:wink:

***LET THE VENDOR BIDDING WARS BEGIN***
i am ready to upgrade to xfi
venders on this thread pm me with your best deal shipped to minnesota
with internal datalogger, xfi to buick harness, xfi to usb adaptor for laptop and wideband...
-thx
-dan:cool:

-newengine dropping this winter demands it!!!

Sorry, I don't play that game. Check ebay, they're usually the cheapest. Keep in mind, I charge $250 for a startup program and the tech support for a system that we didn't sell. If you buy it from us it's included.

I have been using stock ecm with a translator pro for over a year now. The system really works great and is very user friendly but the time has come for me to graduate into a fast system. Just can't leave well enough alone.:D

Sorry, I don't play that game. Check ebay, they're usually the cheapest. Keep in mind, I charge $250 for a startup program and the tech support for a system that we didn't sell. If you buy it from us it's included.

Sheeettt... I must have missed that post, thanks Cal..... I don't play that game either. Give away a FAST then spend hours sometimes on the phone teching.. On another note, I'll have to raise my prices for the start up program.... :)

xfi

Not picking on you at all here Jack but I also just want to point out some accurate info as well. I SOLD my used Bank to Bank F.A.S.T system for $1,000 and turned around and bought what was needed to do EVERYTHING that the F.A.S.T system can do! (and that was LESS than the XFI )... Right of the bat ALL the drivability adjustments were automatically done by the stock ECM.
That WHOLE section (DRIVABILITY adjustments) WERE TOOK OUT OF THE EQUATION.... Thus making those add on's EASYIER to tune simply because you now all you need to concentrate on is Fuel, Timing, boost settings the rest of the drivability tuning is taken care of via the ECM.... ;)

When I go to a restaurant and want a steak.... I don't buy a Filet Mignon when I can get a RIB EYE "WITH MUSHROOMS" For less!!! ;)

Scot W. :smile:
Are you really f##king serious???? Did you read my previous post that I was beating 9sec cars w/ Jacks start up disc?? Your B2B must have been jacked! Their is no way that running all that other BS is better than one xfi unit! It HAD it's place, but this is 2008!!! You don't wanna run into me on the street with all that stoneage sh*t!! I'll knock down 24mpg on the highway and still cut 9's!! BTW I like Filet and I'm just a simple auto mechanic!

Are you really f##king serious???? Did you read my previous post that I was beating 9sec cars w/ Jacks start up disc?? Your B2B must have been jacked! Their is no way that running all that other BS is better than one xfi unit! It HAD it's place, but this is 2008!!! You don't wanna run into me on the street with all that stoneage sh*t!! I'll knock down 24mpg on the highway and still cut 9's!! BTW I like Filet and I'm just a simple auto mechanic!

No you got that wrong, you don't want to run into me on the street. I'll show you what a stock ecm/Maft-Pro car can do :biggrin:

Scott

Well, if you're in hockeytown maybe I'll run into you at a wings game or on the street!! Listen, I'm not knocking down what you guys do w/ all that other stuff, but damn, It's so much safer and easier w/ the xfi. Really it doesn't really cost that much more. Come to P-town and see heads up racing!!! I'll run ya. Money talks, BS walks!!!!

So noone knows if we can use a distributor with the stock ecm or if an aftermarket ecu would be needed for this task?

Well, if you're in hockeytown maybe I'll run into you at a wings game or on the street!! Listen, I'm not knocking down what you guys do w/ all that other stuff, but damn, It's so much safer and easier w/ the xfi. Really it doesn't really cost that much more. Come to P-town and see heads up racing!!! I'll run ya. Money talks, BS walks!!!!

I'm not big on running my car on the street, I have to much to lose. But anytime you want at the strip is fine by me :biggrin: . As for money how about we race for each others ECM/controller. You win I'll give you all my Maft-Pro stuff and if I win I get all your EFI stuff.

Scott

So noone knows if we can use a distributor with the stock ecm or if an aftermarket ecu would be needed for this task?

I always heard you couldn't , Mike Licht had posted about Bob working on something months ago...never heard anything else. Not sure though..

I'm not big on running my car on the street, I have to much to lose. But anytime you want at the strip is fine by me :biggrin: . As for money how about we race for each others ECM/controller. You win I'll give you all my Maft-Pro stuff and if I win I get all your EFI stuff.

Scott
Drag radials, vht, and cash, c'mon my ride is pretty sweet too, but I'll run it. Besides xfi sucks, lets do cash.

his word is as good as gold! I bought my bank to bank over a year ago. never got my startup program because the car was never finished! now cal is just waiting for ME to call to work out a solid start up program! Over 365 days AFTER original purchase date; but he kept his word and that I am over the top happy about! Cal is the ceit man! The deal I got on my bank to bank was amazing, his tuning day in cali was amazing and with his wifes supporting him the entire customer service is 110% amazing.

just my honest (never can be bought) opinion! :D
XxDarkSidexX

I always heard you couldn't , Mike Licht had posted about Bob working on something months ago...never heard anything else. Not sure though..

Thanks for that info. So given that nearly all of the faster cars are running distributors in the race classes that allow it its pretty much pointless to argue that a stock ecm and other various equipment can keep up with XFI performance wise. So it seems streetability is the only real question here. Stock ecm set ups seem easier because the cpu does all the work but perfect streetabilty certainly is achievable with XFI. So this discussion is over XFI wins hands down.:cool:

Thanks for that info. So given that nearly all of the faster cars are running distributors in the race classes that allow it its pretty much pointless to argue that a stock ecm and other various equipment can keep up with XFI performance wise. So it seems streetability is the only real question here. Stock ecm set ups seem easier because the cpu does all the work but perfect streetabilty certainly is achievable with XFI. So this discussion is over XFI wins hands down.:cool:

Kinda depends on why they're running a distributer doesn't it? ;) If it's only a matter of eliminating the waste spark to get a hotter spark than any form of CCCI that accomplished that would pretty much be even with XFI excepting the RPM limits and maybe the user interface. Some would argue the traction control issue but that's debatable seeing as how we had a member here (if my memory serves me) that had that function with the stock ECU. Of course, it's definitely easier to buy a FAST, but that doesn't mean it's not possible with the stock ECU.

FWIW I can see that something like FAST has it's place and I hope one day to need it. The thing I'm having the hardest time understanding is how a FAST can make any more power than a stock ECU if they both provide the same fuel and spark.:confused: Maybe just having a box that says "FAST" make the car faster!:cool: