Stock Trans....is it dead?

davef

Still Learning
Ok guys. I was cruising home at a very easy pace (around 35 mph) Suddenly, transmission starts slipping. I gave it a little throttle and she picked up and went on fine. Then, she just decided not to move. The only gear that she stays in is Park. Everything else, even reverse, just feels like neutral. I bought the car in January, and just had the transmission fluid replaced as well as the trans filter (per the suggested ""spring cleaning" from our other members.)

Somebody, tell me something positive.:frown:

thanks

Stock trans....Is it dead???

Stock Trans....is it dead?
Ok guys. I was cruising home at a very easy pace (around 35 mph) Suddenly, transmission starts slipping. I gave it a little throttle and she picked up and went on fine. Then, she just decided not to move. The only gear that she stays in is Park. Everything else, even reverse, just feels like neutral. I bought the car in January, and just had the transmission fluid replaced as well as the trans filter (per the suggested ""spring cleaning" from our other members.)

Somebody, tell me something positive.

You're low on fluid

Probably not but that is your best and cheapest answer.
Seriously--take a trans line loose @ the rad. --- start car --see if it is pumping fluid.

Pump took a dump....
Check fluid level, engine off, check again w/ it running. Level drop? If so, pump is working. No drop= no pump. Slines on stator support gone...Or....

Pump took a dump....
Check fluid level, engine off, check again w/ it running. Level drop? If so, pump is working. No drop= no pump. Slines on stator support gone...Or....

Thanks. I wanted to give a few more details as suggested by other members.

As it was going, it made a sound similar to the sound that your windshield washer motor makes when it is out of fluid. Only 50 times louder!! I pulled over and turned off the engine. When I restarted, it would let me engage the transmission for about 100 yards. Then, neutral again. I did this three times, until I could get the car safely off the road. I know nothing about transmissions, so any help is always appreciated.

After checking things above, since you just had the Fluid/Filter serviced. Drop the Pan & check to make sure the Filter & filter neck seal are installed correctly.
I've seen a few that had a plugged filters, when it sat the crud would settle & then when restarted it would pickup fluid again. Go a short distance then pickup the crud again & lose pressure. The fluid level in pan rises when not running as converter drains etc.. Just something else to check, may get lucky.
Prices will depend on where you get the work done or buy the parts from for DIY repair.

I'm the guy that lives nearby and messaged you before and have transmission issues as well. I'm leaning towards using Lonnie @ Extreme Automatics.

Good Luck!

im fairly positive the stator sheared the teeth off or snapped off , its the first part to be replaced as a minimum in the rebuild
i broke mine just as i got into the 12s ...

check ck's site

heat treated stator
www.CKPerformance.com

its a cheap enough part but you have to pull the trans and the front pump to replace it

Listen to what I quoted. Chris makes parts for Lonnie and is less than 100 miles away from you. Give him a call and talk to him, please.:)

After checking things above, since you just had the Fluid/Filter serviced. Drop the Pan & check to make sure the Filter & filter neck seal are installed correctly.
I've seen a few that had a plugged filters, when it sat the crud would settle & then when restarted it would pickup fluid again. Go a short distance then pickup the crud again & lose pressure. The fluid level in pan rises when not running as converter drains etc.. Just something else to check, may get lucky.
Prices will depend on where you get the work done or buy the parts from for DIY repair.

Thanks. I'll check that first.

Somebody, tell me something positive.:frown:

thanks

MY SON just had this same issue on his Monte Carlo with a 200r4.

He was driving along and had the same issues you mentioned.

I smelled the fluid & checked the level. it was ok. had it towed home & going to try some of the info these guys said.

my guess is the trans needs rebuild since it is a stocker behind a chev 350.
Its #2 shift was getting weak prior & when we changed fluid years ago it was dirty.

I am going to do a little diagnosis. Dave maybe you should try too.

Check the TV cable

Check the Pump to see if it has pressure. (unbolt trans line at top of radiator)