Street car 5200 rpm: Wiseco or Stock pistons ?

turbota440

Doing a mild rebuild with new rods, bearings, and new rings. Has factory low mileage .030 over pistons.
Roller cam 206/210. 5200 rpm shift.
Any advantage in switching to the Wiseco Piston over stock for a street car? They are a good deal as they already come with rings and pins. But is it even worth the cost difference over what I already have?

[QUOTE="turbota440, post: 3477632, member: 23473.......................
Any advantage in switching to the Wiseco Piston over stock for a street car? ..........[/QUOTE]

No.

Detonation or pre-ignition will kill a forged piston as well as a stock piston, and that is the only cause of piston failure I have seen on a mild build.

When the build is for lots of HP and RPM, then go to a forged piston, or if you are doing a rebuild and need to replace pistons there are no appropiate cast replacement pistons.

Doing a mild rebuild with new rods, bearings, and new rings. Has factory low mileage .030 over pistons.
Roller cam 206/210. 5200 rpm shift.
Any advantage in switching to the Wiseco Piston over stock for a street car? They are a good deal as they already come with rings and pins. But is it even worth the cost difference over what I already have?

When you say 'factory .030" do you mean pistons from GM, or factory replacements? There's a BIG difference between a stock piston (good) and a speed pro hyper (not as good).

To answer your question correctly, you first need to know what kind of shape your bores are in. If you have taper, ovality, bell mouthing, a top ring groove, deep scratches, or a flared bottom, it doesn't matter..... you need new pistons.

When you say 'factory .030" do you mean pistons from GM, or factory replacements? There's a BIG difference between a stock piston (good) and a speed pro hyper (not as good).

To answer your question correctly, you first need to know what kind of shape your bores are in. If you have taper, ovality, bell mouthing, a top ring groove, deep scratches, or a flared bottom, it doesn't matter..... you need new pistons.
Factory GM replacements at .030 over. Cylinders still show cross hatch marks from original final hone. No ridges whatsoever. Went to replace bearings and decided on new K1 rods. So new rings are in order. Was thinking of Maybe raising compression to close to 9:0 to 1 and lose some weight at same time. But it was only an 11 second car when raced and only street driven now.

Changed my mind on Wiseco since I have been informed by Earl of the clearance requirements because of the alloy used. I would like a quiet motor not a slapper. So stock pistons or ??

[QUOTE="turbota440, post: 3477632, member: 23473.......................
Any advantage in switching to the Wiseco Piston over stock for a street car? ..........

No.

Detonation or pre-ignition will kill a forged piston as well as a stock piston, and that is the only cause of piston failure I have seen on a mild build.

When the build is for lots of HP and RPM, then go to a forged piston, or if you are doing a rebuild and need to replace pistons there are no appropiate cast replacement pistons.[/QUOTE]
Thank You Nick

I would definitely use the wiseco pistons if the option is available to you. They use the same compression height as stock and are very quiet compared to others. I use Wiseco pistons in most of my builds where a custom piston is not needed. I offer them in all the rotating assemblies I sell . They are a quality piston and the price is right. Wiseco can keep the pricing low as they manufacture the complete piston in house. Other manufacturers need to source the forgings. Any questions please feel free to contact me.

If all the engine needs is bearings.........just install bearings. No gain in switching to K1 rods in your case. NONE!!!! I have seen bent stock rods but never a failed rod. Never seen a failed stock turbo rod bolt either. If you want to spend money........do it. No other reason to change anything other than bearings. ( if I have been told everything)

with high cylinder pressure you can crack a stock piston at 5200 rpm,they are strong but if the motor is out putting a better piston in would be worth it to me.it really comes down to how hard your going to push the tune.i have seen a torched cometic with no damage to a forged piston,and I have seen a cracked stock piston with the head gasket untorched.