Te44 or upgrade to 6465 BB billet turbo?

BOP4ever

I had a call from a GN friend that I got my 44 from and he has a buddy with a billet 6465 ball bearing turbo like new for sale at 1100 bucks. I was thinking about selling my 44 and up grading.

With at 2800 stall which would be better with ported iron heads. Also if I got the turbo I might have to put off my planned cam upgrade while replacing the head gaskets ...or would the stick cam choke thf bigger turbo?

Trying to figure out what makes the most sense and dollars and sense for a Los 11 sec street car goal...

I'd go for it. That stall may be cutting it a little close though. I'm guessing the 65mm bb wheel should spool similar to my 62mm jb turbo. I can spool it at 2800rpm but 3200rpm is more suited for this setup.

Reread your post and noticed you have the te44. I'd throw that on there and see where that gets you first. I think it should be capable of mid 11's.

A 44 will go low 11s all day with a stock cam as well.if low 11 is your goal you dont need the bigger wheel.the64/65 will need a better converter and a bigger cam just way overkill for an 11 sec combo.

I'd do a lot more reading. The 2 turbos you are considering aren't ever close in comparison and each requires a lot different parts and tune to get the most out of them

I think I'll probably try the 44 like suggested above...
It sounds like the 6465 is stepping up to fast maybe...
I will keep reading and thanks for your input Bison.

Is it a Turbonetics unit?
I don't think the PTE 64 CEA wheels are released yet.

tnetics has the 64billet but it has a 68 wheel or strim.i don't now if they have the smaller 65 mated to that comp,but what i do know you have to have a really good converter to spool it even in bb,2800 won't cut it.

tnetics has the 64billet but it has a 68 wheel or strim.i don't now if they have the smaller 65 mated to that comp,but what i do know you have to have a really good converter to spool it even in bb,2800 won't cut it.

They have the 65 ex available.

thanks bison, that 65 would definatley be easier to spool,i think there is a noticable difference between the 65 and 68.i can't see running either turbo's without the supporting mods.

thanks bison, that 65 would definatley be easier to spool,i think there is a noticable difference between the 65 and 68.i can't see running either turbo's without the supporting mods.
The difference is noticeable. It needs about 300 less stall than the 68/80 with a PTC 9.5" comparatively. With the common 212 grind and heads/intercooler mid 10's at 24-25psi are typical with the cast 6665. I haven't seen anything with the 64 compressor yet. I'd expect the exact same manners with it as the 6665

I'm guessing the 65mm bb wheel should spool similar to my 62mm jb turbo.

I had both, same 9/11 converter. T-66 (65) spools wayyy faster than my previous 62mm jb billet. Because of the smaller exhaust housing...
I am more than happy with 6665. Spools like crazy with the .63 Tnetics housing! I'd buy another! You should have a really really good set of heads though.

ive run the 64/68billet been 6.80 1/8 on a 1.61 60ft only 18 degrees of timing and 22psi.the 9.5 ptc made the turbo come alive.

what also worth mentioning is that the 68 turbine is to big to put a tnetics ex housing on,but you can run the smaller housing on the 65 wheel and it does make a huge difference.

I had both, same 9/11 converter. T-66 (65) spools wayyy faster than my previous 62mm jb billet. Because of the smaller exhaust housing...
I am more than happy with 6665. Spools like crazy with the .63 Tnetics housing! I'd buy another! You should have a really really good set of heads though.

ive run the 64/68billet been 6.80 1/8 on a 1.61 60ft only 18 degrees of timing and 22psi.the 9.5 ptc made the turbo come alive.

The difference is noticeable. It needs about 300 less stall than the 68/80 with a PTC 9.5" comparatively. With the common 212 grind and heads/intercooler mid 10's at 24-25psi are typical with the cast 6665. I haven't seen anything with the 64 compressor yet. I'd expect the exact same manners with it as the 6665

Can you guys post your stall speeds at 0-1psi. It would help people get converters close the first time.

Can you guys post your stall speeds at 0-1psi. It would help people get converters close the first time.
The stall speed at 0-1 doesnt tell enough. The converter could stall at 3000 at 0-1 and 6000@28psi. Not going to work in a hyd cammed engine. The power that will be applied is the first thing that needs to be considered. The chart on Precisions site is accurate for the PTC 9.5" but PTC 9.5" isnt ordered by stall speed.

2700 @ 0-1psi with mods in signature. I know I am not going to break any records... But mine is a street toy. I run a tight converter for the street.

So since PTC doesn't order by stall, we should all change the way that we've been rating and ordering converters? I don't think so. Maybe he should change the way he rates them. That only makes it harder to get it right the first time. Precision is still rating converters in stall speeds to match turbos. What were you doing before PTC came around?

Dangle $799 cash in front of his nose, see if you can get that turbo just to "see" what happens. Not like you can't "adjust" to it down the road with above mentioned details.

to me its the flash stall that makes the majic happen.the last converter i had was a 10.5 protorque 3200 it was great up to 63mm comp with a ptrim,enter a 64mm strim wouldn't spool it,ptc 9.5 3200 woke it right up.both were rated 3200 tickling the boost gauge but the flash stall was much different.dusty speced it and hit it on the first try.

So since PTC doesn't order by stall, we should all change the way that we've been rating and ordering converters? I don't think so. Maybe he should change the way he rates them. That only makes it harder to get it right the first time. Precision is still rating converters in stall speeds to match turbos. What were you doing before PTC came around?
Anyone who wants to go fast should change the way they order. Why do you think you see so many on here driving over their converters or the car spools like a turd or 330's like crap? PTC shouldnt change the way they sell their converters either. Precision can rate whatever they want. Their ratings dont take into consideration the combo or the tune of the car. A combo using 116 octane can run a lot more timing everywhere and get a lot more out of the converter. 100-200 rpm can make a huge difference. What i did before i started using PTC custom converters is the same thing i do now. I ordered the converter to best suit my need and if it needed adjusting i sent it back just like i do with the PTC converters i run. When you add 100whp the converters typically need adjusting. If someone has a 6665 on their combo with the same heads, cam and ci and the car traps 128 and another car has the same stuff and the car is capable of trapping 134 the converter requirement changes a lot even though the stall speed at 0-1 is probably the same. So many guys on here think they need a turbo that will support 200hp more than they will ever make they will always be at the mercy of their chitty converter choice.