Te44 or upgrade to 6465 BB billet turbo?

Anyone who wants to go fast should change the way they order. Why do you think you see so many on here driving over their converters or the car spools like a turd or 330's like crap? PTC shouldnt change the way they sell their converters either. Precision can rate whatever they want. Their ratings dont take into consideration the combo or the tune of the car. A combo using 116 octane can run a lot more timing everywhere and get a lot more out of the converter. 100-200 rpm can make a huge difference. What i did before i started using PTC custom converters is the same thing i do now. I ordered the converter to best suit my need and if it needed adjusting i sent it back just like i do with the PTC converters i run. When you add 100whp the converters typically need adjusting. If someone has a 6665 on their combo with the same heads, cam and ci and the car traps 128 and another car has the same stuff and the car is capable of trapping 134 the converter requirement changes a lot even though the stall speed at 0-1 is probably the same. So many guys on here think they need a turbo that will support 200hp more than they will ever make they will always be at the mercy of their chitty converter choice.

I really think it would be best if I start my own thread so we can discuss this further.

So many guys on here think they need a turbo that will support 200hp more than they will ever make they will always be at the mercy of their chitty converter choice.

I am one of those guys who wanted a bigger turbo. Converter is a nice piece though. It made more sense to me to go to a bigger turbo and push more air through at a lower boost level. I bet 26# boost, 19* timing with the 6665, feels just as good as a 61 at those levels with my whip.

I do see where people put $$$ into their turbo,motor, car and get a chitty converter. lmbo

I am one of those guys who wanted a bigger turbo. Converter is a nice piece though. It made more sense to me to go to a bigger turbo and push more air through at a lower boost level. I bet 26# boost, 19* timing with the 6665, feels just as good as a 61 at those levels with my whip.

I do see where people put $$$ into their turbo,motor, car and get a chitty converter. lmbo
The bigger turbo won't necessarily move more air. If the engine can use the air it will make more power. If it can't use it because the turbo that was replaced was adequate then it won't make more power and could actually make less and spool slower. It's better 9 times out of ten better to run the smaller cam/turbo combo and run it harder to get it done. The car will require less converter and will spool faster and slip less at light load.

So since PTC doesn't order by stall, we should all change the way that we've been rating and ordering converters? I don't think so. Maybe he should change the way he rates them. That only makes it harder to get it right the first time. Precision is still rating converters in stall speeds to match turbos. What were you doing before PTC came around?

The 9.5 I brought to the V6 market doesn't fit the old conventional way a converter operates. This is because it's loose down low when it needs to be and tightens up significantly with rpm. Just about any of the 9.5's will build boost anywhere from 2800-3200 rpm depending on the combo. Whether it's on a 274ci with an 88mm or a 231 with a 6262. What really matters is the hp the combo will run at and the shift rpm. That's why I prefer to spec them for each individual car.

In the old days of the 9.5 and 10" lock-ups you got what you got. If you needed something to spool a TE-45 you needed something that would stall 3200 at 0-1# of boost. Once you made enough power to run 10's you would start pushing through it but there was nothing you could do for it. All the old converters were sold to guys with advertised stall speeds and how that particular converter stalled behind your average 350 chevy. A turbo converter doesn't have a true stall speed other than it's flash stall under boost. I use the 2800 and 3200 version's when dealing with the lock-up converters. The 2800 stalls 2800 at 0-1#, 3400 at 5#, 4000 at 10#....see where the stall changes as more torque is applied to it. The 9.5 is different and has to be spec'd different. But this is what makes it drive like a 2400 and handle the power of an 8 second car.

It's better 9 times out of ten better to run the smaller cam/turbo combo and run it harder to get it done. The car will require less converter and will spool faster and slip less at light load.

Great points Brian... People should do their homework before they order. 6465/6665 should be used with a really really good set of heads.
I saw the 6665 I'm using pop up so... Just noting my experience. Spools faster than my previous 62** "highly recommended" "you don't need more than" slow spooling, SMALLER turbo.lol
6665 has went 10.3 when dialed in properly if I'm not mistaken. And it spools faster...lol I'll take it!
I had to say it.haha No disrespect to anyone. From a roll (on the street), 10mph-20mph between both units(spool up).... same converter, cam/heads combo... not close.lol
Back to converter, Dusty posted that the most important factor. That is the horsepower the combo will run at and the shift rpm. Every car is different.

Mr. Spool,,,,
I'm working with Dave Husek he's building my trans and he's also helping me with a motor set up and he suggested the Turbonetics 64/65 with the combo that's being put together. I was concerned about not going big enough on the turbo but he assures me this turbo is the one to go with and told me to get with you on how good this turbo is.

Mr. Spool,,,,
I'm working with Dave Husek he's building my trans and he's also helping me with a motor set up and he suggested the Turbonetics 64/65 with the combo that's being put together. I was concerned about not going big enough on the turbo but he assures me this turbo is the one to go with and told me to get with you on how good this turbo is.
Wow old thread;)i ran went over 135mph at 3800lbs with the 64/68 bb .63 years ago.but since then I have ran both turbos all out I have to say the 64/65 bb with the wick turned up is my favorite so far in a 3bolt.it just spools so fast with the right combo and moves a lot of air.one major factor that i will say is that the unit takes a real hammering.my turbos are run as hard as they can be run and see a lot of street time,the tnetics stuff really seems to last and their hpc billet comp wheels make a lot of power.make sure you have the drivetrain upgraded if you turn them up and your on a good tire,things break fast:D

Thanks for the input. As for the drivetrain. Dave's building my 2004r at his highest level he offers hope that's enough. I'll let you know how this combo works out. Thanks again.

Thanks for the input. As for the drivetrain. Dave's building my 2004r at his highest level he offers hope that's enough. I'll let you know how this combo works out. Thanks again.
No problem.dave builds a great 200 you will be very happy.

I think have the same problem turbonetic h70-65 bb turbo factory ported head only 1.89 drag radial