TE45 or TE45A?

Gr82baGN

BAM
What is the difference between the TE45 and the TE45A turbo? I'm trying to educate myself to which turbo upgrade would be best for my current combo, looking for mid to low 11's without breaking the car, BB's are not a consideration because I don't want to break the bank as well. The occasional dip into the high 10's would be nice, however in this case reliablity has priority. All input is appriciated.

So I'm figuring that the 63mm compressor would work a bit better with my 3000 stalh vig? Quicker spool?

Yeah the 63 would probably work a bit better with your 3000 stall converter, but with either you would really want something like a 3500-3800 stall converter and a good chip like the ME or Extender to make it spool up nice and quick....

Dont rule out a TE63 they do plenty fast also. Someone here can advise if it spools better than a 45

Thanks alot on the TE63 recommendation but I going to go with the TE45. I'm not familiar with the Extender chip. :confused: I've been using RA chips with no problems at all. I submit any changes to my combo and if necessary he burns a new chip. Something special with an Extender chip? Can I get one configured to my combo (including the TE45).

Hello Trent: Do you mean current combination with the TE45 or with the TA49? My thinking is in street form (17lbs boost and Nittos) Mid 11's would be nice; Low 11's would be nicer. The occasional high 10's I mentioned would be during the summer when I take it to the track, bring the boost up to about 20psi and put a 100 octane and real slicks on it. If I go with the TE45 this would be more attainable. Yes? No? My current combination would more or less lock me into the high to mid 11 second range. Which is fine considering I have not gotten past the 12’s yet? I’m a real rookie at the track. I just want it there when I finally learn how to launch and tune. Sorry about the long post. :cool:

Get the TE45a you won't be disappointed in it. That turbo makes alot of power. I love my TE45a, getting ready to have the tranny rebuilt and a PRECISION CONVERTER to go in it soon.

By looking at your sig, you can easily get 10's.

It comes down to street use. And if your not going BB, get a .63 housing and put in what wheel reflects your street driving or strip goals.

Low 11's with a high 10 goal is more of a TE 63 type turbo on a reasonable boost level in the 20's. With ported heads and a double pumper, your set up to do low 10's with a bigger turbo if you get more stall and traction.

I can tell you that 17 lbs boost and your proposed combo will not go mid 11's.....for that, you still need race gas and about 20 lbs boost (with a soft launch)

I will be very surprised if Red can burn you a decent chip for the 45A.......in order to spool, it needs to be very lean on spoolup....this is an unnatural act for Red.....we tried all his chips and could not get decent spool....Max Effort solved the problem

with a good set of heads, injectors, pumps, cam, a 45A will go 130 for sure....it definitely needs more stall than 3,000......3,500 flashing to 4,000 is more like it if you want good 60' times (low1.5-1.4)

I do not recommend anything but the Garrett .63 housing....I tried 'em all and everything else just slowed me down.... I reckon John Craig would agree with me

you would prolly be happier with a 60 series turbo......if you want to go fast, the 45/45a is the answer but it needs a lot of converter

Rob: You have that 3600 stall on it's way in, congrats, I however will be locked into the 3000 stall vig, for street use I want as fast a spool up as possible and I believe with the TE45A and my current converter I will lose some of the low end kick. The TE45 may just get me my cake and allow me to eat it as well. TE45= fast spool on the street as well as more top end on the strip. I hope I'm in the right ball park with my thinking. Thank goodness for my mechanic and this GREAT web site. I'm learning everyday. Great help all around. Thanks for the input.

AZGN: I'm locked into the converter for now. I may just have to adjust my goals and be more realistic for this up coming season. Who am I kidding anything better than a 12 second run would put a smile on my face for days. I'm going to go with the 63 housing aka TE45. Max Effort = ME. I still have to learn about these other chips. 86Brick mentioned an Extender chip. These chips don't burn well for a 3000 stall?:eek:

I run a 45a and had 50lbers on the car with a red 107 spooled to 5000 at the line and went 10.60s with 1.50 short time .now Im running a maxr and 72lbers with a wolfe craft bar cut my 60 to mid 1.4s.hope to get the car in the 10.40-50 range.45a from john craig is a great turbo with great support.had no trouble with any of reds chips until i moved up to 72 lbers and now its lean.go figure
having fun with the maxr now

that's only because you live in Ohio, Bob:)

in AZ, Red's chips are rich!

I could run purty well with Red's 100 chip and my 55's, but still slow spool......3600 stall Precision (3700 lb car.....)

ME is instant spool, high 1.4-low 1.5 60's

Hell, Nick cranked out a 1.42 with Whitey this weekend....talk about big eyes! (he is using the mafless ME)

Woody,
I am running a Red's 107 with a 0 pump Vigilante and it spools fast. I had a 7 pump in it before, then I had the converter re-stalled to a 0 pump and couldn't tell the difference in spool up. The car spooled exactly the same. I'll tell you one thing, if I can switch to a ME and it would spool even faster than now, consider it done.

Im running the mafless ME also.so far 1.41 is the best still working out some things ...hoping like i said to get a 1.39 and a 10.40 something.might run tsm next year.I think ohio guys get special rules in that also!!!!!!!!!!!!!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:D

Turbo6

all I can tell you is when I had my 6 pump, I could leave harder, quicker than I can now with a 0 pump....I think I get some of it back on the big end, but still experimenting....leaky gasket to be repaired this week and back to the track!

( I run fairly low boost 23-24 because of single pump, heavy car, and 55's)

Woody, You have a 0 pump? I thought you still had the 6. Why you switched? Is that where your extra mph came from? I noticed you went from 123 to 125.
I do remember when I had the 7 pump the converter felt alot looser then it does now. It felt loose before it started to spool, you'd have to give it more gas to get it going (like driving up a curb from a dead stop).
Now with the 7 pump the car did 60' in the 1.5's leaving on 3#'s of boost, but it wouldn't pull on the hill.

I WILL be going to the track this weekend. I should have my first 10 sec pass. We'll see. I'll keep everyone posted.

don't want to stomp on this thread, but the 6 pump went south (west?) and I put a 0 pump back in.......the 6 pump is back from Precision, but still in the box.......it could be my speed has picked up because of that, but I don't know for sure yet...I do know my 60's are a little slower, but et's are quicker and speeds faster (I would like to attribute that to improved tuning skills, but who knows?........:D )