The Electrical Plug on side of 200-4R.

HighMileage

Albany,NY
Installing a fresh tranny that has this plug on the side where the 4-prong weather pack is on my original GN tranny.

What do I need to do to this prong? I just need to get it home from the shop that's installing the new tranny. I'll be converting it to lockup at home.

Can I just tie my original harness to the side,then drive home?

Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 562
Take the pan off and remove that one. That looks like th400

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes on the transbrake,but it's not an electric one.

It is a 200-4R. Here is a pic of my original trannys plug:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 654
The situation is... I'm having a shop install this tranny. I just can't do it on my garage floor. I used to do stuff like that,but no more.

I told them it's just a tranny swap. Today we found out the plugs are different.

Once they saw that,they were gonna put my old one back in.

I convinced them to put the new one in. I just need to drive 2 miles home.

Will my GN start without that 4 prong plug?

it is third gear and fourth gear indicator also converter lock up .that is all.with out it pluggin 3rd and 4th will show active if open circuit .

It will start and drive fine, but no converter locking, which is something you said you wanted. EA transmission?

Manual transbrake.

This plug goes to the TCC solenoid,then to the 4th gear switch.

So,all I have to do is connect that prong to my 4th gear switch wire in my stock four prong weather pack,then I'll have 4th gear lockup,right?

No it doesn't work that way. One wire in the connector is 12 volts to the TCC solinoid, one is ground to the solinoid, one is the 3rd gear switch, and one is the 4th gear switch. You need to get the correct connector and wire it right for everything to work properly. You can drive it home with it unplugged but you want to get it fixed for long-term use.

Ok,so this isn't gonna work then.. (See pic)

Tan wire comes from that one prong switch.....to the TCC solenoid...then the black wire comes off the other side of the TCC and ends at the 4th gear switch.

You gotta be kidding me..

image.jpg

And this is a "fresh" tranny???
Somebody hacked up the wiring. In stock form the 3rd and 4th gear switches are inputs to the ECM. The TCC solinoid is an output. There is always 12 volts going to the solinoid with the key on via a closed switch located above the brake pedal. The ECM monitors mph and gear switch status and commands lock up by making the ground to the solinoid. There are various ways you can force lock up. I am just saying the wiring you have is not anywhere near stock.

They wired the TCC lockup to the 4th gear switch. They normally do this for non-computer controlled cars. If you apply +12 to the single terminal on the side of the trans the converter will lock when the transmission goes into 4th gear. On a side note I don't see the 3rd gear status switch. Just pull the wiring harness and 3rd gear status switch out of the old trans.

The third gear switch is missing on this VB. I can live with that since lockup in 3rd is not important to me.

Just to clarify... If I run 12V to that spade terminal on the side,I won't have 4th? I'll have 1..2..3...lockup 4th..? No 4th.

That ain't gonna work. This car is mainly used on the street with occasional hour long hiway trips.

It looks like the solution is to install my 4-prong weather pack and 4th gear switch wiring,sans 3rd gear switch and wiring.

You will have 4th gear but as soon as it shifts into 4th it will lock the converter. Not an ideal situation. Pull the wiring and the 3rd gear status switch from the old trans. That way the computer will control lockup.

You will have 4th gear but as soon as it shifts into 4th it will lock the converter.

That's what I thought. I *could* hook it to a switch in the cabin and control it manually,but that seems unnecessary.

The VB in this new tranny doesn't have a 3rd gear switch hole.

What code valve body is in the transmission? What governor? Have you driven the car yet? Are the shift points normal?

What code valve body is in the transmission? What governor? Have you driven the car yet? Are the shift points normal?

No idea on what VB. it's not a BRF.

I swapped my speedo drive and blue driven gear in from the BRF that was in my GN.

Shift points seemed normal in the 5 mile drive home. TV cable adjustment needs to be done.